Lumia 950XL suddenly heating up

aimulaidni

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a 950XL and everything was working fine until this morning. I had put it up for charge early in the morning around 4 and when I got up at 8 and held it, it was hot, and I wasn't sure what was going wrong because there was nothing open. So I switched it off for a while and let it cool. When I switched it back on, the battery went down to 51% and now I've put it up for charge again. I had turned on Hey Cortana last night but since the phone started acting up this morning, I decided to switch it off. It's still warm though, not sure why. Also, it keeps giving me an error about the phone having low storage even though I've only used around 7.9 GB out of the 29 GB available. I also checked to see if there was an update available and there was. But that's been stuck at 0% for a few hours now. Don't know what's causing these barrage of problems all of a sudden.

I'm planning to hard reset it but just wanted to ask here first incase anyone knew what the issue might be.

Thanks in advance!

arky66

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
hello
I have a Lumia 950xl and have started noticing the same issues since yesterday.
The phone heats up, drains battery and shows up as having low storage even though it has plenty of storage. If anyone has found a solution that worked for them, I would be happy to try

jhunts5

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
My wife's phone (950) is having the exact same problem.
Running hot.
Battery runs out within a short amount of time.
Update not updating.
Low storage warning.
Time to call M'soft?

IANOR

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
My onedrive is practically doing nothing. Not even refreshing my camera roll, unless i enter the onedrive app. Then it begins to upload them slowly...
How is this related with the warming up in idle?

westentertainer

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a 950XL and everything was working fine until this morning. I had put it up for charge early in the morning around 4 and when I got up at 8 and held it, it was hot, and I wasn't sure what was going wrong because there was nothing open. So I switched it off for a while and let it cool. When I switched it back on, the battery went down to 51% and now I've put it up for charge again. I had turned on Hey Cortana last night but since the phone started acting up this morning, I decided to switch it off. It's still warm though, not sure why. Also, it keeps giving me an error about the phone having low storage even though I've only used around 7.9 GB out of the 29 GB available. I also checked to see if there was an update available and there was. But that's been stuck at 0% for a few hours now. Don't know what's causing these barrage of problems all of a sudden.

I'm planning to hard reset it but just wanted to ask here first incase anyone knew what the issue might be.

Thanks in advance!
in the update section go into advanced options/drop down/automatic [recommended] it will then start updating

westentertainer

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
hello
I have a Lumia 950xl and have started noticing the same issues since yesterday.
The phone heats up, drains battery and shows up as having low storage even though it has plenty of storage. If anyone has found a solution that worked for them, I would be happy to try

mine was the same before updating ,since update no problem

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Regarding the heating up, perhaps it's worth reminding that the XL sports the Snaptoaster 810. There's not a single phone where that chipset hasn't brought overheating issues. So it's a problem that, although it can be minimized with software updates, will not vanish. And the heat pipes don't solve it. Sony's Z5 already had them and the phone still overheats. It's a generic problem of the chipset.

But I would suggest complaining to Microsoft since the only things that can be done are on their side and a lot of complaints does fasten a solution.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
No, it's not the 810, this seems to be the actual battery that is causing the heating issues. I ran trivial pursuit for friends on continuum and played games on the actual phone with no heat issues. I have put it through some hard testing. The fact that there's a low storage and battery issue amongst all users does not point to the chipset. It would not make sense. I wouldn't even take my chances I would just do a hard reset right away.

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
This has nothing to do with the chipset since several tests have shown that the XL doesn't heat up enough to throttle. Sony didn't have liquid cooling which Microsoft has and it has proven to be a better cooling solution than any other.

This is because an update gets stuck and it keeps pinging and trying to download the update repeatedly which is causing a drain on the battery.

Canon Patel

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello,
I started using 950XL since yesterday. Problems i face are

Phone heat up unusually.
Battery drains down in few hours.
External battery is inefficient. Takes long to charge.
WhatsApp chats transfer from Lumia 930 to 950XL is a problem.

If anyone can help please.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Because some people seem to be blind by marketing words like "liquid cooling"...

This is what Sony has on the Z5 line
5.jpg

This is the exact same tech, under a cooler marketing name, on the XL lumia-950-xl-teardown-01_story-800x416.jpg

Again, I suggest contacting Microsoft about the issue. I believe it's the SD810 because experience works against the chipset. But only Microsoft can answer/fix that. The fact that some were able to run "tests" to the heating issue means nothing. It wouldn't be the first time OEMs made it so that the phones would pass those "tests" but then show a very different fa?ade on normal usage.
We just don't know and I highly doubt WCForums are the place were help for that issue will be found. Take the phone to Microsoft. Let them fix it ;)

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Phone heat up unusually.
Battery drains down in few hours.
External battery is inefficient. Takes long to charge.
WhatsApp chats transfer from Lumia 930 to 950XL is a problem.

1 - the chipset on that phone is prone to overheating. If you're coming from another device it's normal to notice that a phone with the SD810 heats up more than normal. If you notice it overheating for no reason, contact Microsoft.
2 - Battery drains are normal if the phone is overheating. Not only because it means the processor is pushing a lot of energy (hence the overheating) but also because physics.
3 - What do you consider "too long"? External batteries don't come with Quick Charge so it's natural that they aren't as efficient as a wall plug. But that's normal for any phone, it's nothing XL-specific.
4 - That's a problem with the WhatsApp app on WP. Your best option is to contact WhatsApp support and let them know. I haven't used WhatsApp on WP for over a year so I'm not 100% sure, but on Android only a few months ago did WhatsApp get the ability to save your conversations so they would transfer. So I wouldn't be surprised if WP was lacking the feature altogether or still having it in Beta.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Because some people seem to be blind by marketing words like "liquid cooling"...

View attachment 118916

This is the exact same tech, under a cooler marketing name, on the XL View attachment 118915

Again, I suggest contacting Microsoft about the issue. I believe it's the SD810 because experience works against the chipset. But only Microsoft can answer/fix that. The fact that some were able to run "tests" to the heating issue means nothing. It wouldn't be the first time OEMs made it so that the phones would pass those "tests" but then show a very different fa?ade on normal usage.
We just don't know and I highly doubt WCForums are the place were help for that issue will be found. Take the phone to Microsoft. Let them fix it ;)

So here's the thing. Sony has a plain heat pipe. Lumia 950XL has a heat pipe with small capillaries with tiny amounts of liquid in them. I have even made a post about it where someone was discussing it in an article. It's actually a pretty novel thing in phones. Both heat pipes no doubt, but MS's is more advanced.

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site

This is the exact same tech, under a cooler marketing name, on the XL

I wish you would stop posting sometimes... Sony uses a highly standard alu-heatpipe to disperse heat... This is not enough for the SD810 which is obvious since it still has to throttle speeds due to heat. Microsoft uses a liquid cooling alu-heatpipe that disperses heat a lot better since it is not only a piece of aluminium that lets heat transfer... It is also liquid which moves heat even better.

This is NOT "just what Sony" has done... This is a new technology for phones and it makes the 810 in the XL unable to throttle under load.

basilzahran

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Dear Team,

I exactly having the same issue. I just pay my new Lumia 950 XL and I'm Really surprising that its suddenly heating up?

does anyone found a solution for that?

B.Regards

butarra

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
21 Dec 2015. Apart from doing a software update, which i haven't done yet. One possible SOLUTION for the heating / overheating problem, purchase an inexpensive external battery operated fan than can be directed onto the Lumia 950 XL #Lumia950XL whilst it is charging. Not an ideal solution, but one that appears to assist in dissipating the heat and assisting the phone to charge faster (using a wall charger). I have tried this myself and seems to work.

ssburaik

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb