Text message notifications no longer working

emperor047

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone not been receiving updates from other apps since after the anniversary update? I have notifications enabled for all my apps and have them running in the background, but seem to only get notifications from messaging, email, and phone. I'm not even getting notifications from windows central which usually is the most reliable app that i have on my 950XL. Please leave suggestions if anyone has any.

CronGM

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same train. Only Microsoft's apps are getting notifications. Other apps (like Whatsapp) receive messages only after I open them. It seems no apps run in the background, no matter what your settings are (yes, I checked and all apps are on for working in background).

Jaans kumar

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Guys,
Found a solution for this, actually this was our mistake not at all about windows,

Open Settings-->System-->Battery-->Battery Usage by app-->Select your app (Either Messaging, Skype, Facebook, Viber, Line, Whatsapp)-->Select Always allowed in background.

It works fine..!!

Tks & Rgds.,
JK - Happy to use Windows Smart Phones.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Worked for a week, now nothing works for notifications other than Microsoft's own apps.

Has anyone not been receiving updates from other apps since after the anniversary update? I have notifications enabled for all my apps and have them running in the background, but seem to only get notifications from messaging, email, and phone. I'm not even getting notifications from windows central which usually is the most reliable app that i have on my 950XL. Please leave suggestions if anyone has any.

Same problem, 950XL ,It works but only on the first text in from that person after that it goes silent. I also get no notifications on lock screen or start screen.

Email notifications does not sound but do appear on lock screen and start screen. I am getting an update tonight, hoping that might solve problem.

No other issues, groove has worked very well, battery consumption not awesome but as good if not better than the 1520. I need to get a new sim from work to use the second sim but it looks easy enough to use.

I really like this phone but I need to fix this issue, Uncertain if I just don't have it set up correctly or if it is a software issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I was going to pose this question and decided to do a look up to see if anyone else is having this problem. I had the problem where no text messages would have an alert sound as they came in. It has been this way for about a month and was driving me crazy - I was thinking about moving back to iPhone if it wasn't fixed. I started to go down the list of settings one by one and one toggle fixed the issue for me. I'll just type it out in large font so that anyone scanning for it will see it:

To fix this in WM10, I went under Settings>Notifications and Actions, then toggled "Show Notifications on lock screen" to On.

That did the trick for me. Once I set that to On, I tested it and I finally got my Text alert tone. I might've turned it off a while ago for text message privacy, but that created the problem. Hope you and others find this solution helpful.

scardus

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site
To fix this in WM10, I went under Settings>Notifications and Actions, then toggled "Show Notifications on lock screen" to On.

After going through this thread and trying each setting change one by one, THIS is the one that fixed it for me! Argh, why didn't I notice that option was off earlier?!? :)

Thanks!

Sean

sidtek50

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
Sorry to dig up this thread, but I have to say thanks for this:

I was about to throw my phone across the room in anger! :straight: Changing this option didn't occur to me because it doesn't mention that there will be no sound if this option isn't ticked.

My only real criticism of W10M is that I don't find the menus intuitive. If they improve the menus dramatically it would be a massive bonus.

OtherMango516

Jan 14, 2017
Visit site
Me too. Really fed up with Windows phone. Never again.
I have to google something around once per week. Hardly ever find a solution easily, and from Microsoft, NEVER.
(Send more info is their stock answer)

OtherMango516

Jan 14, 2017
Visit site
Solution for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Settings > Privacy > Background Apps > MS Messaging ON.
Texts now show in messenger and sounds work.
Found this somewhere these messages, but tried so many, I don't know who to thenk.

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I am sure I properly setup Notifications after the last factory reset.
Have gotten multiple updates since then, and all my notifications work, as expected.
So I do not believe that an update just randomly disables settings.
More likely, something got selected or de-selected, by accident, and went unnoticed, while scrolling a settings page.

RockStarNinja

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I have this issue randomly .. What I do to test if it's just not receiving them is send a text to myself and see if it comes back. If it doesn't, just a restart will usually fix the problem

PJL99

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
Solution for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Settings > Privacy > Background Apps > MS Messaging ON.
Texts now show in messenger and sounds work.
Found this somewhere these messages, but tried so many, I don't know who to thenk.
Not getting notifications on a lock screen is totally expected when you do not allow the app to run as a background application. It only makes that if an application is not allowed to run in the background, it cannot generate any notifications at all and display them since the app is not running.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb