950XL: Thoughts from a previous iOS/OSX junkie.

cnashx

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Disclamer: Years ago I switched from a Windows Ecosystem and went to an all Apple Ecosystem and basically swore off Windows (except when I didn’t have a choice like for work). As I was impressed with how Apple innovated and changed the industry. This is no longer Apple, Microsoft has taken over the innovation in the industry IMO.

Brief History: I have had a bunch of smartphones in the past. My first smartphone was the T-Mobile/AT&T MDA back around 2006. Before that I had a bunch of “Dumb” Phones including some of the TINY VK mobile phones. After the MDA I switched to a couple other Windows Mobile devices before the First iPhone came out. I stuck with the original iPhone until the 3G came out and went first to Android then Blackberry for quite a while (I HATED the look of the 3G & 3Gs). I eventually got the “new” iPhone 4 when it came out since I was missing iPhone. Stuck with iPhone for awhile (4,4s,5,5s) I had a brief stint back with Android in there sometime. Then I got the iPhone 6+ and ALMOST upgraded to the 6s+ recently but decided I wanted to try something different and Windows really interested me with all the new improvements and possibilities with Windows 10. So… I got a 950XL.

After using this phone for about 4 weeks now I like it quite a bit. Yes there are still some issues, but nothing that is unusual from any other phone I have had in the past. Are there a couple apps I miss? Yes, but for the most part there have been suitable replacements.
The camera on this phone is phenomenal… Well the back camera at least. The front camera leaves a little to be desired (it’s a little too grainy IMO). The speed and smoothness of the overall operating system is very much appreciated. I have had a couple hiccups but I chalk them up to the apps themselves and not the operating system itself.

I did recently do a hard reset (I wanted that damn .29 update, which I still didn’t get). Since then there has really been no increase in performance or battery life, but then again the battery life on this phone is in line or better than any other flagship I have owned in the past. Unless I am overly using the phone I can get a full workday worth of life out of it which is acceptable to me.

Are there things that I wish would be a little better? Yes, but that is going to be like that for any platform. I am satisfied very much so with the ecosystem and the phone itself. I look forward to progress with apps and development as a whole. I am actually looking into dropping my MacBook Pro & my iPad to get a Surface Book so I will be fully invested in the Windows Ecosystem.

Overall, I think Microsoft has made great strides in not only the mobile market but the technological market as a whole and I plan to stick around for a while and hopefully ride it until the wheels fall off. 

NOTE: If someone finds out how to get rid of the "SIM2" stuff PLEASE let me know. It's the only eyesore I have but it happens to be in multiple locations. Including the "SIM1" in text messages.

coasterfreak212

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Glad to hear that you're enjoying it so far!

In terms of the Sim stuff, you can't really get rid of SIM2, unfortunately, but there is a way to rename the SIMs so that they have a name instead of SIM 1. I changed mine so that it shows AT&T. Just search for SIM in the Settings app and select SIM 1 Settings. You can then change SIM Name.

As for the excess messaging and phone stuff, you can go to the settings on those apps and link them together much link linking Outlook inboxes.

cnashx

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Glad to hear that you're enjoying it so far!

In terms of the Sim stuff, you can't really get rid of SIM2, unfortunately, but there is a way to rename the SIMs so that they have a name instead of SIM 1. I changed mine so that it shows AT&T. Just search for SIM in the Settings app and select SIM 1 Settings. You can then change SIM Name.

As for the excess messaging and phone stuff, you can go to the settings on those apps and link them together much link linking Outlook inboxes.

I have everything linked already. I just hate seeing the SIM2 on the taskbar and "SIM 1" below every text message and is the History tab for phone calls.

geekladyemjay

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I tried what you did. I had the iPhone 6 (I have 2 phone lines) got the 950 xl it was going to be my main phone. I already had a Surface 3 and Band 2 (I also have an Apple Watch, MacBook Pro and iPad mini have my daughter my iPad 2 when I got the Surface).

Anyway I was extremely excited to get the 950 xl had to have lots of Nora's support from the windows central group. I got the phone and was living it until I realized my lte didn't work. It is a long story but we had to trick it into working bit then realized that my hotspot wasn't working and the visual voicemail didn't work and just wasn't going to. We got the hotspot and lte working but then my voicemail would not work at all.

After a solid week of troubleshooting the phone I returned it for the 640 xl which had continuous reboots so I got a 640 for that line before which I upgraded my iPhone 6 to the 6s plus because it started looking so small next to all of those large phones.

Once I started using the 6s plus I wondered what I must have been thinking and remembered why I had left Windows phones on the first place. I had always had Windows phones up to the sprint arrive that is the one that drive me to apple and not much has changed I now see. I love my surface had to return it a couple of times to get a good one and get a new charger but it's good no was ready to make all things Windows but there is too much work involved. I am in the technology field and Windows phone managed to burn me out. Maybe some other time. Good luck to you.

cnashx

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
I tried what you did. I had the iPhone 6 (I have 2 phone lines) got the 950 xl it was going to be my main phone. I already had a Surface 3 and Band 2 (I also have an Apple Watch, MacBook Pro and iPad mini have my daughter my iPad 2 when I got the Surface).

Anyway I was extremely excited to get the 950 xl had to have lots of Nora's support from the windows central group. I got the phone and was living it until I realized my lte didn't work. It is a long story but we had to trick it into working bit then realized that my hotspot wasn't working and the visual voicemail didn't work and just wasn't going to. We got the hotspot and lte working but then my voicemail would not work at all.

After a solid week of troubleshooting the phone I returned it for the 640 xl which had continuous reboots so I got a 640 for that line before which I upgraded my iPhone 6 to the 6s plus because it started looking so small next to all of those large phones.

Once I started using the 6s plus I wondered what I must have been thinking and remembered why I had left Windows phones on the first place. I had always had Windows phones up to the sprint arrive that is the one that drive me to apple and not much has changed I now see. I love my surface had to return it a couple of times to get a good one and get a new charger but it's good no was ready to make all things Windows but there is too much work involved. I am in the technology field and Windows phone managed to burn me out. Maybe some other time. Good luck to you.

I hve yet to have an issue with LTE or using it as a hotspot. and for VVM I just use ISeeVM for YouMail which works great. (I used YouMail back in 2008 before VVM was on a lot of devices). Lately I've been getting frustrated with my iPad after using the 950XL, it just doesn't work the same or nearly as smooth which I never thought I would ever say about any Apple Products.

I forgot to mention I do also have a Band2 now and it's been great for me as well.

geekladyemjay

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I tried to use ISeeVM couldn't get it to work. Once they got the other two fixed they couldn't set up my voicemail at all without breaking the previous fix. Just wasn't meant to be. A lot of people are having a better time with it looks like you are one of them.

Funny I won an HP Windows tablet at my jobs Christmas party so I am surrounded by plenty of each. I still have the 640 so I am still in the game.

cnashx

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Just got the .29 update finally and although I don't notice any extreme changes it does seem a little snappier, battery life also seems a little better.

Suedezu

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Just got the .29 update finally and although I don't notice any extreme changes it does seem a little snappier, battery life also seems a little better.

If you want to have the .36 update that came yesterday, enroll in the Windows Insider app to either Slow or Fast rings. :)

alodar101

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Each of us has a story. I followed a similar path as you..but I'm happily on th xl, with my 6plus and note 5 idled. But my words were the same as yours..what was I thinking. I will say this though...if iphone6, or anything else, is your nirvana, then there are things you're not saying. Maybe those things fall into your tolerance zone...and that's ok. But all phones have issues. We makes choices based on what we are willing to accept. Proof?? Just visit the forums of any of the flagship devices...the commentaries are all the same. You made a choice on what worked for you...perfect.

PS

cnashx

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
A little update.
So I have had the 950xl for quite awhile now and purchased a fully loaded Surface Pro 4 awhile back.
I am loving all the improvements and integrations that Microsoft is doing. Granted hiccups have come and gone but most have been resolved.
I am looking to replace my work desktop with a nice laptop (I have created a thread on this specific discussion). Man what I would give to have a Surface Pro 4 with a HIGH end GPU.

To everyone knocking Microsoft and their mobile ambitions; I don't see much base in it. Every OS has hiccups but Microsoft is doing some things no one else is doing and I appreciate that.
Bring on the devs!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss