Glance Screen Not Working

jvanlew

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
So I finally made it into my local Microsoft Store and they exchanged the phone for a new one. The glance screen on this device is working fine. Problem solved, for now. FWIW, I did purchase Microsoft Complete when I bought the phone from that store originally so maybe that helped persuade them to do a straight exchange.

DreadVenom

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Good news. I received my device from Hungary yesterday and the job sheet states that they changed the complete display assembly. I think it's not SW or FW but definitely HW. All is working as expected.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I am experiencing this same issue after a hard reset due to Cortana constantly crashing. Glance works very briefly then dims that you cannot see it anymore. Tried soft reset, hard reset, recovery tool - no success. Guess I will go exchange my phone, its less than a month old.

Nate E2C

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
SOLVED! This was originally posted on another forum by g3r70ar:
--> "The issue in which not work GLANCE SCREEN, was caused by the TEMPERED GLASS
Only by removing the tempered glass, the problem was fixed. It was not a software or hardware problem.
The tempered glass, interfered with the proximity sensor, causing malfunction of Glance.
**Note. The problem started its occurrence, after two months of placing the tempered glass.

I hope this experience will be useful to other users.

Best regards,
g" <--

I took g's advice and found it to be absolutely correct. I have both a Lumia 950 and 950 XL. Both phones have this issue, and both phones were fixed by peeling off the tempered glass. I have NO IDEA why this effect happens, as the tempered glass does not cover the IR sensor, camera or speaker. In fact, I experimented with this a bit, and I could make Glance turn on and off merely by hovering the tempered glass about 1/4" (0.5cm) above the screen.

For the life of me I can't figure out why this is. Maybe this is some subtle function of the glass itself, so that Glance turns off when its in one's pocket? That's just a guess, but the tempered glass so far does not appear to affect any other function on the phone whatsoever.

Personally, I'd rather lose Glance than lose the protection a tempered glass screen cover provides my investment. Ideally, Microsoft will find a fix for this.

- Nate

Corwin_Amber1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Sorry, Nate, but this is something different. What you were expierencing, was a blocked / interfered proximity sensor by the glass. Maybe after two months, the glass was intransparent enough, to just slightly push it over the edge. When you cover the proximity sensor, like when you have it in a pocket, glance is turned off. On the 950XL, the proximity sensor is located left of the Iris camera. You can easily see it in bright light.

What this thread is about is a really dim and slightly flickering glance screen, probably flashing and having the right brightness a split second after activating.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Had this problem after I switched from Redstone back to Threshold and updated the FW. If this is truly HW issue, will try to get an exchange. might try Redstone again and see.

Posted from Windows Central for Windows 10

Cartman

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
The recent fast insider builds (last two or three) turned off the glace option in settings. Go to Settings > Personalization > Glance screen and turn it back on.

Corwin_Amber1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Again, other thing. See description above.

Dim, flickering on low level, maybe a little purple, flashing to normal brightness a spilt second when activating (after switching off display). Is most probably a HW issue, as no WDRT, hard reset, RS, TH changes anything. At this point in time nothing solves it but changing the display assembly (or phone).

Johnny Sayasane

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Facing exactly the same issue. If it is the HW issue, it would be so sad...
I can do replacing the phone because I bought it from US but I live in Laos (3rd world country), love the phone anyway.

FredBloggs007

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Damn - I have this problem now with my 950XL. Glance screen flickers and goes dim. I take it from most of the replies that it's a hardware issue. Not sure what options I have in the UK now...?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea