Setting up a 950 Xl

cocopops

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Hey All,

So I will be getting my 950 XL in around a weeks time (RM 1085 Int. version).

I have not ever used W10M - I have been on WP8/8.1 for a good few years though.

What would be your suggestions the best way to set the phone up?

I would like to be on the latest SW and Firmware for W10M - how should I go abou this?

Should I restore or start afresh?

etc etc..

As soon as I get my phone I know I will want to set it up immedietaly hence me asking ahead of time.

Your help is greatly appreciated,
Thanks!

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I do not have a 950 XL but here are some tips which I got from several posts.

- Insert your SIM before the set-up, seams that if you do not do this some "settings" may get "mixed up" and that you do not get the "windows offers app" . Be aware you need a nano SIM.
- Do a clean install.
- Connect it to a charger (wall plug / QI ) during the installation.
- And very important give it time to update so be patience.

Basically you will get the latest updates during the set up or after it if you check for updates.

Good Luck

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
find a place with strong and fast wifi to start your phone. after the initialization process, install insider app. then, go to settings and check for updates. after the newest OS and FW have been installed, hard reset your phone with keys combination method. then, after the initialization process, go to the store and update all apps.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Wait a second, after hard-reset it always rolled back for me to .11, or it is because "keys combination reset method"?

It will never roll back unless your installation failed. Regardless a hard reset should always take you back to the current OS installed.

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Ok, and about firmware? When I got L950 I instantly installed firmware on stock OS, then I joined Fast, and gone straight to .36 from stock, could it caused any problems? When hard-reset, does it reset firmware too?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok, and about firmware? When I got L950 I instantly installed firmware on stock OS, then I joined Fast, and gone straight to .36 from stock, could it caused any problems? When hard-reset, does it reset firmware too?

Hard resets software to the last installed version before the reset. This includes the OS and resets firmware level settings.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Firmware can not be reverted?

No, the best way to look at it is on a phone when you install a o/s / firmware update - it updates therecovery partition at the same time. So when ever you do hard reset, your phone recovers from the recovery partition.

Since that's been updated with the latest o/s / firmware update, it will install that not what you had before.

The only way to revert back is to reflash the phone with a earlier Rom, however that depends if said Rom is available for your specific model.

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
No, the best way to look at it is on a phone when you install a o/s / firmware update - it updates therecovery partition at the same time. So when ever you do hard reset, your phone recovers from the recovery partition.

Since that's been updated with the latest o/s / firmware update, it will install that not what you had before.

The only way to revert back is to reflash the phone with a earlier Rom, however that depends if said Rom is available for your specific model.
true.

rolling back to previous version officially, no matter os or fw, is only possible via the recovery tool. if you can still find the older version in the recovery tool, you have it. if you don't, you have no way to roll back, officially.

cocopops

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks all!

So tell me, when I set it up, and enter Microsoft credentials, will it ask me to restore and select no?

How will I get all my data (Contacts/texts etc) though?

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
Thanks all!

So tell me, when I set it up, and enter Microsoft credentials, will it ask me to restore and select no?

How will I get all my data (Contacts/texts etc) though?
don't restore backups. restoring backups from another phones may cause problems because their hardware (and hence supported features / settings) are different. your calendar / contacts and texts are stored in your microsoft account.

cocopops

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
A big thank you to all who helped me with the info, setup went like a breeze and followed the instructions set out here.. phone is working pretty flawlessly and am very happy! Battery life is great too!

Getting used to the size, coming from a 920 it does take some adjustment, but getting more comfortable everyday!

Thanks Again!
Coco

Mr Hyde

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Coco, I just did this a few days ago. The first thing you should do after you open the box is read the 'Get Started' guide and follow the steps. The guide even highlights that you should insert your sim before you turn on the phone. I followed the guide, started the phone and then followed the on screen directions. When asked to restore a backup, I picked not to restore a backup. After the phone was done doing its set up thing I went to settings and checked for updates. I installed both the firmware update and the software update. It takes a while to download and prepare for installation so just let it sit. Then restart. The restart will take a long time. Just let it sit until its done. When the OS came back up the phone was still downloading over 40 updates so be patient. So far I'm really happy with my 950 XL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte