Help contacts

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm probably neither the first person to notice or comment on this.... I noticed over the weekend when I was tinkering with my phone, ATT is listed as the contact for 'Help contacts'. Pretty strange, considering it's an unlocked, non-carrier specific phone. Did anyone else notice this? What would ATT do if I called and asked for assistance?

Not a big deal, I just found it interesting more than anything.

wp_ss_20160118_0001.jpg

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I too have the ATT URL link for "Get Help"

I suspect it is populated after the SIM registers with AT&T? I'm and unlocked (Microsoft Store 950XL)
Good find. I hadn't noticed.

I have noticed that the constant reports of LTE\IMEI issues on ATT have died way down. I'm wondering if our unlocked IMEI numbers got added to their provisioning database? And if so, I wouldn't be shocked that this "Get Help" field being populated with ATT info is a result?

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site

I suspect it is populated after the SIM registers with AT&T? I'm and unlocked (Microsoft Store 950XL)

I have noticed that the constant reports of LTE\IMEI issues on ATT have died way down. I'm wondering if our unlocked IMEI numbers got added to their provisioning database? And if so, I wouldn't be shocked that this "Get Help" field being populated with ATT info is a result?

My service is through Straight Talk, you think that maybe this has something to do with my NOT having the link?

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site

I use h2o wireless, which is a reseller of AT&T's network. I'm surprised that piece would have been pushed to my phone. I never once had an issue with LTE not showing.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
My service is through Straight Talk, you think that maybe this has something to do with my NOT having the link?

Well, I'd be shocked if I had an ATT link but didn't have an ATT Sim in my phone. That would be really weird.
And I am NOT surprised that unlocked 950's with other than AT&T Sims are not getting links populated with their specific carrier information. I imagine every carrier has their own provisioning software system and database design. And I am even suggesting that AT&T might have added the unlocked 950's to their "system" without even intending for this Help field being populated, necessarily. It certainly isn't mission critical to their cellular service. I'm betting the unlocked 950's inherited the ATT branded 950's provisioning process and that field was designed to be populated for AT&T branded phones. Or put another way, I doubt AT&T did a bunch of custom software code to support the unlocked 950's. They don't love us THAT much. :)

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I use h2o wireless, which is a reseller of AT&T's network. I'm surprised that piece would have been pushed to my phone. I never once had an issue with LTE not showing.

Again, I'm no ATT cellular expert, but there is a good chance that a reseller still uses their own provisioning system. Kind of like middleware for piggybacking on AT&T's official direct network provisioning.

I'm a network engineer and my brother is the software developer for the same company. So I only have a general idea of how what we do would relate to a company that offers cellular service. For example, I apply my understanding to what a NIC is in a server or computer node on my network, to what ATT would consider your SIM card. Not completely apple to apple, but not far off for the sake of these kinds of threads. So when my bro writes a corporate app for a corporate phone, I can see SOME of the relationship between what gets populated on the phone itself and what information about that specific device that is harvestable by me for security and access to our network products and services.

But even with all that, I reserve the right to be dead wrong about almost everything I ever say. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss