Advice please..... whether to upgrade phone plan to a 950 or 950 XL from a Note 3?

m1dawkins

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi,
I am looking to replace the Note 3 I have been using for the last 2 years and although I have been using Android for the last 4 years I am drawn to moving over to WP even with the lack of apps in the store.
I cannot decide whether to get the 950 or 950 XL and wondered if anyone in the forum has moved from a Note 3 or 4 and which handset they chose and why.
I am siding with the 950 XL at the moment mainly because of the screen size being similar to the Note 3, and the slightly faster processor.
Also I will be getting the phone either as an upgrade on my current plan or on a new plan, will I have to wait for OS updates from the telco (Virgin or Optus) or can I get them from joining the Insider Program?
Apologies if the answers to my questions are already in the forum.
Thanks

Mesbah

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Between 950 & 950XL I preferred 950XL and would pick it up even with a larger screen size.
No need to wait for OS update as after last update it already works smoothly.
Better get it now as you will be busy discovering Win 10 desktop communicating with WP.
Also you will be busy selecting apps and do some exercise on each as might be different from those on Android or iPhone.
You better get a 128GB or larger Micro SDXC card and insert right at start so you can configure apps be saved on 32GB device while photos etc be saved on SDXC card. After this stage do not move apps from device to SD or vice versa because they might malfunction and you have to hard reset 950XL which is not a big deal as Win Store remembers all your apps and easily and cleanly you reinstall them.

Also before starting up your phone better clean up your OneDrive cloud so that WP phone can start with a clean OneDrive for back ups etc.:kiss:

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I'd go with the XL since ATT won't be blocking updates on it... As far as the 128GB SD card, do a little research... Not all SD card are equal (speed wise)... I went with a 64GB card because speed was more important to me than storage space. If you wind up with a slower card, keep apps that you can on the built in memory. They'll load faster (faster than any SD card for that matter)

nausky

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
I went with the XL. I actually use continuum so I wanted the stronger processor. Also like the look of the XL more.

Also, as someone who listens to music all day, every day, I find the volume up/down placement on the XL to be the most convenient thing ever.

But I'm a girl with really small hands, and I struggle to hit the back button. Probably should have gotten the 950, but I'm used to big phones. My last daily driver was also a Note 3. ☺

janikauppila

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
Moved to 950 XL from Note 3. Only thing I miss about it is the stylus. Not a deal breaker though, Im loving the OS and the phone. And the camera is out of this world!

Theres no appgap for me neither. I had like a hundred of apps on my Note 3 which I used like once in a month or something. Now I got all I need, you can even use Google authenticator (MS version tho, but works great).

Some minor bugs here and there with the OS but nothing major.

BTW dont let the iris scanner influence your choice; its a cool gadget which works fine in most places, but for example when youre walking down the street the scanner wont be able to scan your eyes (shaking too much). Or maybe it would if you stick the phone right on your face, but I bet most ppl wont be doing that.

Timewalker

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I've jumped from Note 3 to 950XL. Disappointed with Note 5. Still want a big screen "phablet" so its a no brainer for me to pick up the 950XL.

rickt1

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Also made the jump from a note 3 and am loving the 950XL but these phones seem to be like marmite (you either love them or hate them).

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I briefly had the Note 3 for the last few months before I got the 950XL. I switch between WP and Android, daily. Not on "Insider".
They are very different devices. Nearly the same in hand feel.
The OS, while similar, is also different. You may not find settings you were used to. Functionality is also different.
One example, Android let me adjust the volume while streaming music over BT, without waking the device. Windows Phone makes me wake the device with the power button before I can press the volume.
Overall, my preference has been for WP, but the 950XL is not polished yet. I expect it will be soon enough.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I would get the 950 XL. Faster processor than the 950 but still same resolution. 950 XL should be the faster of the two. Single sim version has working visual voicemail.

m1dawkins

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies left in this thread, I appreciate the advice.

I finally took the plunge yesterday and got a 950 XL from the MS store in Sydney, managed to get them to price match Optus which was a result as Optus are selling it outright for Aus$960 and MS sell it for Aus$1129.

I was tempted to buy from a grey import site but I always seem to be the one person who has an issue when buying from these sites, so decided to buy from a local stockists in case I need to return it under warranty.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
As a fellow 4 year ex-Android Galaxy S2 thru S5 & Note 4 user my honest recommendation which won't be a popular one here is go with the S7 Edge.. I came back to windows phone back in Oct 2015 and sad to say heading right back out the door, if your carrier is like AT&T's they will have the S7 Edge on display already so you can do a side by side comparison with the 950 (the 950XL is just larger 950 but the back cover, buttons, display ect. are the same). I won't get into which really is a "Flagship" worthy phone or quality feel or look or even performance, just having both in hand putting them thru they're paces will tell you exactly why I made my recommendation..
I have to add a major WP vs Android/iPhone issue you will most definitely feel after having the WP and another of its true achilles heels which through the months finally gave me the final push, a real lack of good, needed and wanted Apps!!

m1dawkins

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
Hopefully I haven't made a bad decision moving over to WP, I spent a while researching the 'app gap' and I think all the essential apps I use are available.
I thought moving over to WP would be a fresh start with a different phone OS, which is regularly being updated to resolves known issues.
I had my Note 3 for almost 2 years before receiving any major update e.g. from KitKat to Lollipop ... and now Marshmallow is out, probably would have to wait another 2 years or wouldn't get it all.
I am still setting up my new 950XL, and waiting for a case and screen protector, need to protect my investment. :smile: will update how my change over from Android to WP goes.

Babs75

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
Hopefully I haven't made a bad decision moving over to WP, I spent a while researching the 'app gap' and I think all the essential apps I use are available.
I thought moving over to WP would be a fresh start with a different phone OS, which is regularly being updated to resolves known issues.
I had my Note 3 for almost 2 years before receiving any major update e.g. from KitKat to Lollipop ... and now Marshmallow is out, probably would have to wait another 2 years or wouldn't get it all.
I am still setting up my new 950XL, and waiting for a case and screen protector, need to protect my investment. :smile: will update how my change over from Android to WP goes.

I moved over from Android and other than the app gap, I am totally pleased.

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
One example, Android let me adjust the volume while streaming music over BT, without waking the device. Windows Phone makes me wake the device with the power button before I can press the volume.

Weird. Because I use Bluetooth headphones daily to use MyTube, Mix Radio etc and if I touch the volume rocker when it the screen was asleep my volume indeed moves up or down.

the 950XL is just larger 950 but the back cover, buttons, display ect. are the same

Not really. The XL has more processor.

950 SPECS
CPU name: Qualcomm Snapdragon 808
Number of cores: Hexa core
Clock rate: 1800 MHz

950XL SPECS
CPU name: Qualcomm Snapdragon 810
Number of cores: Octa core
Clock rate: 2000 MHz

I think the 950XL doesn't even fully utilize it's massive processing power yet.
Perhaps when continuum is running but I haven't got my dock yet to try that.

Last edited by a moderator:

teiva

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I moved over from Android to WP10 and haven't regretted it. The 950XL suits me fine. No matter what OS you use, there will always be problems. The only time I'd not make the jump is if there is a must have app and it's not on WP10.

emigrating

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I realize the OP has already taken the plunge and seems happy enough with his decision, but I still wanted to chime in.

IMO, and I'll likely be chastised for this, you'd be a fool for choosing either of the two at this point. If you really, really, really love Windows 10 Mobile, sure, go ahead, but don't base your decision on previous experience with Windows Phone 8.1 as there are so many things still missing, not working properly or just plain different between the two.

Also, neither handset it a real flagship. The 950XL (which I use - my wife has a 950) runs too hot, eats battery charge like there's no tomorrow (and this is actually my third 950XL so not just a bad device), the screen doesn't "pop" like I still think my good old 1520 does, is too small for my liking (but I realize this is highly objective), doesn't seem to perform as well as you'd expect it to (or rather, certain games and apps aren't optimized for Windows 10 Mobile). No fingerprint reader (sure it has "iris" recognition, but c'mon that sucks and takes ages to unlock the phone compared to a fingerprint reader - I've got others with fingerprint and it almost feels like they unlock before you even touch the sensor, Iris takes a second at least). The list goes on.

Seriously, this past Sunday I hardly used my phone at all. Got up around 730 am, had a quick breakfast and got in the car with my son to go to his swimming class. That's a 20 minute drive, during which I listened to Windows Weekly using the standard podcast app (audio was pre-downloaded, no streaming involved). Was at the pool for a good 90 minutes, quickly checked phone for messages after getting out and put it back in my pocket while we went to get lunch. Rather than staring at my phone during lunch I talked to my son and we got back in the car as we were going to visit his grandma which is almost a 2hr drive, listened to an Audible audiobook for around half of that (again, this was pre-downloaded, no streaming involved). Did some more messaging (facebook and skype), updated my Facebook status once, took a couple photos during the day and spent perhaps 15 minutes using Cortana/Edge looking for some information. During the drive home I was on the phone, talking, for 24 minutes and 11 seconds. At 640pm my phone is completely discharged and switches off. And this was a good day - generally I use my phone a lot more than this and I have to recharge it around 4-5 pm. Then with some candy crush gaming after dinner and general usage while watching TV the phone is again ready to be recharged by the time I go to bed. That's not even somewhat acceptable in my book. My good old 1520 was (and still is - after a Win10M upgrade) soo much better in terms of battery life.

I feel good that I purchased these handsets simply because "every little helps" in terms of the platform as a whole, but had I known then what I know now I'd probably have waited it out a little longer and got a HP Elite Pro 3 or the elusive Surface Phone. Or, if Windows 10 Mobile still didn't feel ready probably jumped ship to Apple. I don't really want to, but with everything Microsoft is doing "wrong" it's heading in that direction - and that's spoken as a true "fan" who owns several Surfaces, mini-tablets, windows phones, xboxes and god knows what.

Sorry for the long ranting post, but I'm beginning to feel a little fed up. Had Samsung, HTC or Apple sold a product as "good" as the 950XL there would have been a public outcry. When Microsoft does, it's somehow okay because the product is only aimed at the hardcore windows phone fan? Really?

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Had Samsung, HTC or Apple sold a product as "good" as the 950XL there would have been a public outcry. When Microsoft does, it's somehow okay because the product is only aimed at the hardcore windows phone fan? Really?

That puzzles me also... Especially with all the hype leading up to the next "MS Flagship" 950/950XL release back in Nov. not only was the release a huge debacle the OS was absolutely not ready! I just couldn't believe people were defending MS saying"all new OS will have bugs", I myself thought it was unacceptable.
MS is so lucky to have such patient loyal users, I just don't have that kind of patience, especially when forking out $600+. Maybe the Surface guru will work his magic with the Surface Phone and Win10 & I'll come back.. I truly do hope he does!!

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Weird. Because I use Bluetooth headphones daily to use MyTube, Mix Radio etc and if I touch the volume rocker when it the screen was asleep my volume indeed moves up or down.
Now I feel stupid...
You are correct, I just checked my 950XL, and the volume changes with the screen off.
I thought I had tested that the first week. Never bothered to check again.
So I just checked on my 635 running 8.1, and the volume changes there too.
Don't know when that changed as I am fairly sure my 1520 did not allow the volume to change with the screen off.
Somewhere that functionality was added back in and I missed it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3