REVISTIED, 10 weeks later - 950XL and 5 days of crushed hope

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I originally made a rather long, ranting post about the 950XL around a week after I got one on release day in November. I was very disappointed due to bugs, bugs, more bugs, build quality... etc.

Recently I got another one for much less money, and when I went to install it I had learned from other Win 10 installs on an 830, 640 and 1520 that starting fresh is the best way. So, I took the phone out of the box and plugged it right into the PC. Then the Windows Device Recovery Tool downloaded the newest firmware and official OS release. After that, on set up I picked restore my old phone (a 1520)

Much to my delight, this method worked great.

Other new thoughts on the updated phone:
(1) the build quality seems better, at least how snug the back clips onto the phone. No more squeaks.
(2) holy crap its fast
(3) the camera works very well now, no more "ADDING FINISHING TOUCHES..."
(4) not one RESUME... or LOADING... screen
(5) no apps are stuck in the friggin store that refuse to download
(6) The battery is unspectacular, however heavy users might get through a workday. Might. That screen is hungry and so is, for some reason, the messaging app.
(7) it's stable

So, like I said in my original post, I would give it another try when it was more mature and cheaper. And I am glad I did. I can now recommend the phone to others confidently.

Last edited:

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm assuming that someone in that thread also asked you to just bring the phone back and ask for a replacement? If that option was available anyways. Seen a few users getting lucky that way.

In any case, happy to hear everything is going well :) and, obviously, hoping it keeps going well hehe

Mesbah

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
... I took the phone out of the box and plugged it right into the PC. Then the Windows Recovery Tool downloaded the newest firmware and official OS release....

Please give us some hint on how desktop Windows Recovery Tool is used on connected WPhone? Thanks.

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I'm assuming that someone in that thread also asked you to just bring the phone back and ask for a replacement? If that option was available anyways. Seen a few users getting lucky that way.

In any case, happy to hear everything is going well :) and, obviously, hoping it keeps going well hehe

No, that was my decision, I am a tech since 1996 and was an Insider since April of last year. I knew it was really immature software and it did not feel anywhere near like a $700 item at the time, so I brought it back to the MS store.

Good thing, I ended up saving a lot of money in the end and now I don't want to toss it across a room.

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
It sure has improved a lot since then. But much much more improvements needed. I do admit I have similar kneejerk reaction and return stuff a lot. Only to sometimes purchase them again, usually at a discount.
:winktongue:

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site
It sure has improved a lot since then. But much much more improvements needed. I do admit I have similar kneejerk reaction and return stuff a lot. Only to sometimes purchase them again, usually at a discount.
:winktongue:

Yeah I do that too, but this was a really bad deal the first time around. It was like a joke I wasn't in on and I paid a lot to be a part of. But all better now, just wanna see how the phone holds up to use.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
good that you came back, its an amazing phone and gets better with each update, only thing I can see missing now is the tap to wake, other than that the phone has been fantastic.

cmhsam

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
I too had alot of issues on the phone when it was first launched. Returned it and picked it up again yesterday for $589 at the MS Store. Been doing a lot of reading on this forum over the past several months and it looks like the device is getting better.

I have 30 days to see if it has gotten better so will reserve judgement once i put it through use for at least a work week

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

Likely replacement units are running on a newer firmware.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mducros