So I broke my 950XL screen - Insurance claim (India)

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday, I decided to swap my Mozo leather back for the stock back, on my 950XL just for a "change". Within an hour, it slipped out of my hand, landed on the floor, on one of the corners and cracked. It had fallen face down a few times earlier, nothing happened, but falling on the edge seems to be too much for the GG4 (You see, the 950XL glass extends to the edges of the phone and hence a bit more vulnerable).

2US9YVB.jpg
With Tempered Glass

BbluhFp.jpg
After removing tempered glass

Anyways, I am starting this thread to document my experience with the Insurance claim process (This is the standard Microsoft insurance sold with phones, in Microsoft retail stores in India).

5-May-2016 - Logged a claim request by calling the insurance broker company, they asked me for the IMEI number and could see my policy details from that. They told me someone would pick up the documents (below) and the handset within 48 working hours, after which they would send the documents to the actual Insurance company (New India Assurance) in Mumbai, wait for the claim to be approved (1 week) and then repair the phone

Corwin_Amber1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Thought the same. And I feel you pain. I am doing the same from time to time (swap my three covers for a change, but the black mozo with black rim and black leather gives much more grip.

Abhinav Mudaliar

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
I guess the tempered glass couldnt save the screen, now i will be super careful, i got my insurance from Syska i hope i dont get to use it though
Nice post will keep a close watch

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I never liked the default back for the 950XL. I too found it hard to hold and, on many times, I felt it would slip out my hand. Luckily it didn't and I got a wallet case for it as soon as I could and that solved the grip problem. Good luck with the insurance claim.

Mayur Joshi1

Nov 26, 2015
Visit site
I guess the tempered glass couldnt save the screen, now i will be super careful, i got my insurance from Syska i hope i dont get to use it though
Nice post will keep a close watch

You have made huge mistake, syska ensurance sucks. I have also purchased syska insurance for my 640xl. My mobiles screen was damaged i took the ensurance claim. Its been almost 100+ days my insurance approved but still waiting for my refunds or money.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
The tempered glass cannot save the screen in any situation (Unless it lands flat on its face), because no tempered glass extends beyond the edge of the screen (Obviously).

I have a boring end (sort of) to this story, I got to know that getting the screen replaced via the insurance (home pickup, repair, drop, cashless) would take more than a month. I was not prepared to wait that long, so gave my phone to the service center to get the screen replaced.

It would be sent to their repair factory in Bengaluru and cost INR19,500. I should get my phone back by mid next week.

I would later try to approach the insurance company to get a refund, but that seems unlikely; as the terms clearly say that the repair has to be done by them.

I am never using the stock back cover again. Mozo all the way.

Abhinav Mudaliar

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
The tempered glass cannot save the screen in any situation (Unless it lands flat on its face), because no tempered glass extends beyond the edge of the screen (Obviously).

I have a boring end (sort of) to this story, I got to know that getting the screen replaced via the insurance (home pickup, repair, drop, cashless) would take more than a month. I was not prepared to wait that long, so gave my phone to the service center to get the screen replaced.

It would be sent to their repair factory in Bengaluru and cost INR19,500. I should get my phone back by mid next week.

You paid 19500rs for the screen thats a high price to pay....wat i would have done is given my phone to the insurance company and purchased a temporary phone below 10k mark....but i guess u cant stay away from the lumia 950xl....its addictive:wink:

Kunal Dudwadkar

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
All this actually makes me doubt on the quality of screens being used in MS phones. I dropped my brand new 650 like from a height of half feet and the screen broke, like completely. I was shocked to see that it wasn't even a minor tear, the screen just cracked. I also had a Lumia 720 from last 2 years and damn that phone might have fell a hundred times but nothing ever happened to the screen.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
You paid 19500rs for the screen thats a high price to pay....wat i would have done is given my phone to the insurance company and purchased a temporary phone below 10k mark....but i guess u cant stay away from the lumia 950xl....its addictive:wink:
Yes, would have been better to buy a 640XL for 10k, then sell it off after a month for 7-8k, but as you said, I don't want to live without the 950XL for long.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
All this actually makes me doubt on the quality of screens being used in MS phones. I dropped my brand new 650 like from a height of half feet and the screen broke, like completely. I was shocked to see that it wasn't even a minor tear, the screen just cracked. I also had a Lumia 720 from last 2 years and damn that phone might have fell a hundred times but nothing ever happened to the screen.
My experience with the 720 has been the exact opposite. Me and my wife both had 720s for sometime a few years ago. Hers broke 4 times, mine once. In fact everyone I know who had a 720 broke it at least once.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I am glad I didn't take the insurance route for my phone. It's 10 days since I logged my insurance claim and the handset/documents still haven't been picked up.

Meanwhile, I am using my old 920 on 8.1. I had it on W10, but the experience was indeed sub-par.

Going back to 8.1 after a year felt kind of nice, but the novelty is fast wearing off. Hope to get my 950XL back this week.

It's a shame that the 920 runs 8.1 much smoother and faster than the 950XL ever did Windows 10. Speaks a lot about the amount of refinement that went into 8.1 and the amount of work still pending on 10.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Update

1. I got my 950XL back from Care point in 11 days. As good as new
2. It is now day 18 and Insurance still hasn't called me for pickup of my handset and documents. Pathetic service.

nokialumia1020fan

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Update

1. I got my 950XL back from Care point in 11 days. As good as new
2. It is now day 18 and Insurance still hasn't called me for pickup of my handset and documents. Pathetic service.

@slyronit - People like you are rare. Ones who leave aside their agony and try to help others with the real information. Thanks a lot!

From this month on, i think b2x (a german company) has been outsourced servicing of Lumia phones!

I am trying to buy a 1520 (2nd hand) for 13 K, just cos I like Nokia branded Lumia better than the new 950s. But Nokia / MS / b2x has dont offer insurance or extended warranty for out of warranty phones. Too bad.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3