Lumia 950 and 950XL in continuum- speed difference?

YingTK

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Has anyone tried both the 950 and 950xl in continuum mode? I wonder how much different in speed the two phones will be.

I know the 950xl load heavy apps or webpages faster, but lighter apps (most of the general apps) seems to load equally fast. I wonder if the speed difference will be more noticeable when in continuum?

Thanks!

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Has anyone tried both the 950 and 950xl in continuum mode? I wonder how much different in speed the two phones will be.

I know the 950xl load heavy apps or webpages faster, but lighter apps (most of the general apps) seems to load equally fast. I wonder if the speed difference will be more noticeable when in continuum?

Thanks!

there shouldn'tbe mch difference since they have nearly the same kind of processors. RAM is the same

Cyril Richard

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys, so no one has more details? I'm very interested in buying a 950 or 950XL in the next months, and I plan to use Continuum a lot (if it works well it could replace probably 80% of what I do on my laptop, if not more).

I would prefer the smaller and cheaper 950 to the XL, but I am also wondering if there is a big difference in performance in Continuum between the two Lumia. It might impact my decision on which one to buy if it is the case.

Cheers

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
The 950 XL has both a beefier CPU and GPU, but you also have the HP x3 coming out shortly that has both and more ram (4 GB compared to 3GB).

So it's pretty much a Snapdragon 808 (950) vs a Snapdragon 810 (950 XL) vs a Snapdragon 820 (HP x3).

The only downside is that HP hasn't announced pricing, yet.

YingTK

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
I actually ended up being able to test it myself. I was planning on keeping only one of them, so keep in mind I was really picky during the test.

I would say the 950 XL worked better on continuum, but depending on tasks, the difference may not be significant. Webpages containing more media content loaded quite a bit faster. Depending on webpage, the loading time difference can go up to 2 seconds (doesn't look much on paper, but it's quite significant in real life)

I also noticed that the 950XL seemed to do more background tasks (or does it faster). Take edge for instance, if you open multiple tabs at once, the 950XL will have them all loaded eventually, more like the experience in real computers, but on the 950, it almost seems like it only really load the tab when you're actually on that specific tab. Also, on the 950XL, I was able to use mouse scroll sooner after the page loaded (I was able to just plug in the wireless dongle of my logitech keyboard and use it in continuum immediately. Pleasant surprise!). On the 950, you'll have to wait longer. However, you can almost immediately scroll using the phone as trackpad on both the 950 and 950XL, so I'd imagine this issue being fixed in future updates.

Also, as one reviewer pointed out, the 950 runs hot in continuum, but the 950XL was warm. Installing the app "disable screen" helped a lot and made the 950 cooler, more to the side of warm.

All in all, the 950XL is faster, as expected, but if you don't compare them side by side, the 950 is still pretty smooth. They both run quite well with all the universal apps (pretty identical performance between the two in this regard. Well, there may be a .25 second difference between tasks, but only noticeable when you compare them sided by side.).

I ended up returning the 950XL due to its size and some other personal preferences on the 950. I like the fact that MS equipped the two phone with almost identical specs (especially same camera) as I've been looking for a smaller phone with good specs. I tried both phones in continuum extensively for a week as my desktop at home, and I actually found both of them pretty convenient and capable. I have not turned on my desktop since.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babukapyar