Alarm too loud (all volume set to zero)

YingTK

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi,,

I've only used the alarm on the 950xl twice, but both times the alarm was really loud. All volume of the phone were set to zero before I go to bed, but when the alarm goes off in the morning, it really does BURST.

I wonder if I'm missing any setting for the volume? (I'm not on preview on this phone now.)

Thanks.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
You might try moving off the Default Sound, to a different alarm sound that is more pleasing to your morning attitude.

ALL APPS>Alarms & Clock APP>TAP on the desired Alarm>Sound>Pick from ringtones/my music

YingTK

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.

I did pick my own silent-ish ringtone for the alarm, but it almost seems like the alarm volume is playing at 100% volume. The alarm on my 920 used to start from low volume and get louder and louder, but not 100% all the way.

I wonder if you had this issue as well?

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I am a heavy sleeper, so for me, the louder the better the chance of my hearing it - therefore I have never, ever, tried to reduce the volume for an alarm, just increase to the max for me:)

YingTK

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
I get you :) Well, I'm a deep sleeper as well up until the sun comes out. Quiet alarm usually wakes me up after 6 am, but I hear nothing during the night. The thing with loud alarm for me though, is, if it wakes the dog up.... Then I really need to get off my bed :)

I still wish there's an option for gradual alarm. Hopefully it'll become an option.

Exup

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
The alarm starting at level 5ish...its a bug. It doesn't happen in the Redstone branch. I was surprise with this bug...on 8.1 the alarm would start at the volume we had set for the ringer, and progressively increase (like it does now on the insider version)

YingTK

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
Good to know that at least the issue is fixed in the preview. I'll just wait until the official release then.

Thank for the info.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I get you :) Well, I'm a deep sleeper as well up until the sun comes out. Quiet alarm usually wakes me up after 6 am, but I hear nothing during the night. The thing with loud alarm for me though, is, if it wakes the dog up.... Then I really need to get off my bed :)

I still wish there's an option for gradual alarm. Hopefully it'll become an option.

that's funny, I can relate to what you are saying with regards to our furry family members (dogs, in this case:), but unlike you, 6:00 am is the morning feeding time in our household; and my dogs provide me with an ABSOLUTELY dependable, slobber alarm. So, I mainly use my alarm for travel (and popcorn:)

I do see the advantages of a progressive alarm, hopefully it will be available to us soon":^)

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Good to know that at least the issue is fixed in the preview. I'll just wait until the official release then.

Thank for the info.

YingTK, I set my alarm last night (to remind me to give one of the dogs an AM pill), and this morning while trying to get out of the bed, I listened to the alarm and I swear it got louder and louder. just so yo know:) (950XL, DS, USA, build.14356)

mayblast

May 10, 2014
Visit site
The alarm clock volume in WP10 (I've the latest Fast Insider) is crazy LLLOUUD!

Why is there no way to tone it down? I'm positive I have volume controls for right about anything else, but alarm is completely unuseable. Why is this? MS is still trying to find new ways to prevent from people using their mobile OS?

I do not need to wake up the neighbours, or scare myself ****less every morning. Is there a fix to the loudness, besides downloading some 3rd party app or finally going to the other OS?

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
The alarm clock volume in WP10 (I've the latest Fast Insider) is crazy LLLOUUD!

Why is there no way to tone it down? I'm positive I have volume controls for right about anything else, but alarm is completely unuseable. Why is this? MS is still trying to find new ways to prevent from people using their mobile OS?

I do not need to wake up the neighbours, or scare myself ****less every morning. Is there a fix to the loudness, besides downloading some 3rd party app or finally going to the other OS?

How about: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...larm-clock-plus%2F9wzdncrdm197&token=Kcv_MjyU
This one says specifically it allows increasing volume. Given that it's not using the built-in constructs to set off the alarm, I'd bet it actually works in this regard.
I tried the regular alarm, on 494, latest Threshold, and you're right, it's pretty darn loud, no matter what you set volume or multimedia settings to, I wouldn't like this either...

mayblast

May 10, 2014
Visit site
That one has popups. Besides, it is such a vital core app for me, it has to be 100% reliable and battery-friendly and whatnot. It has to be the in-built alarm clock because, well, it has to.

The in-built must function as any other alarm clock in the history of cell phones. Why MS crippled its alarm clock is beyond my understanding, but it is not acceptable.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
That one has popups. Besides, it is such a vital core app for me, it has to be 100% reliable and battery-friendly and whatnot. It has to be the in-built alarm clock because, well, it has to.

The in-built must function as any other alarm clock in the history of cell phones. Why MS crippled its alarm clock is beyond my understanding, but it is not acceptable.

Yeah, popups are annoying, and I agree 100%, the in-built alarm should support this properly (with a independent volume setting for alarm, including "increasing" to the independent setting).
Some people said they just created a "quieter" ringtone, and used that. Others said they did this, and that the alarm increase the volume on the repeat, but that wasn't ever verified, so it's still a bit of a "hack" fix, any way you slice it, bummer.
I'll go upvote this, in feedback, and so should others...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo