Continuum is the best thing I have seen in mobile phones in years

decker5

May 26, 2016
Visit site
I have recently purchased Actiontec Screenbeam Mini 2 Continuum (guess still on sale at Microsoft Store for 60 Ca$) and I am shocked how good Continuum is

I already saw the presentation, so I knew what it was, but I didn't realize it would have been such a smooth transition from using PC to Continuum

It's far from being a pc, true, but for small work with office, internet, email, sms, everything is there and, most of all, everything works!

I attached a Logitech K400 + mouse via USB and everything worked right away; best of all it was quick and no need to have wires around, just plug the continuum dongle to tv (both HDMI and USB) and the Logitech USB received to the Y cable on the dongle.

In less than 1 minute I was comfortably sitting on my couch, checking emails and answering sms, things that are not difficult to do normally, but having a normal keyboard and a mouse made everything a pleasure

I have also shown this to my gf, she totally loved it and spent the whole evening checking facebook, watching video and playing crossy road on a big screen

the lag that I have feared would affect my experience was almost inexistant (you can definitely detect, but it's very low)

I can't believe Microsoft is not advertising Continuum as much as it deserves, this is the kind of thing that can open a world of possibilities and, if used correctly, can be a game changer

the only negative part is that UIBC (used to allow communication for USB devices connected to the HDMI dongle via Y cable) does not allow to connect USB hard drive, Actiontec Screenbeam supports also UoIP but, if I select that, the USB dongle does not work at all (it's written it works with WiDi only, but I have tried with Asus Transformer and still it did not work)

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Lag is more noticeable in games. There are a lot of new games that support continuum.

This game which is in chinese is probably the most impressive one I have seen. The graphics are killer and it runs amazing. I even have the settings up to the highest level.

Hit the second button to create an account and then login. Once logged in most of the game is in English. Still some chinese stuff but nothing that impacts gameplay.

Although you probably want a direct USB-C connection instead of wifi as this game is more fast paced.

But it's great. If they converted everything to English and supported Xbox controller I think this game would move to the top. Right now no one will even find it because of the Chinese name haha.

https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9nblggh1rkm2

decker5

May 26, 2016
Visit site
Lag is more noticeable in games. There are a lot of new games that support continuum.

This game which is in chinese is probably the most impressive one I have seen. The graphics are killer and it runs amazing. I even have the settings up to the highest level.

Hit the second button to create an account and then login. Once logged in most of the game is in English. Still some chinese stuff but nothing that impacts gameplay.

Although you probably want a direct USB-C connection instead of wifi as this game is more fast paced.

But it's great. If they converted everything to English and supported Xbox controller I think this game would move to the top. Right now no one will even find it because of the Chinese name haha.

https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9nblggh1rkm2

Is there a list of the games supporting Continuum?

Currently I know only Crossy road and Microsoft Solitaire

Shaz2012

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have unlimited data, I use continuum to watch Netflix at work on a big 27" monitor completely separate from my office network. That in itself makes this worth it.

decker5

May 26, 2016
Visit site

didn't know it existed, watched a review on youtube and it seems very nice, especially the fact the docking station doubles as a stand so that you can use the phone as clock/mouse/keyboard/remote, that is very smart.
I have not understood however is if there is office suite available.

To be honest though for the moment I prefer wireless, that is why I am not considering the Microsoft Continuum dock.
The idea of just plugging the hdmi dongle to the tv and be able to use continuum is great: easy setup, no cables going around.

Last edited:

iampwd

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I also use Continuum everyday at work. Have a second monitor hooked up to the display dock. It really is the best thing since capacitive touch screens for mobile.

It won't be long until Google does this natively with Android and it goes mainstream. Hopefully Microsoft will have the more mature solution and the advantage of UWP to thrive at that time. =)

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Another cool feature (at least for me) that I just discovered. I just ordered, and received this little item: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3511047 ; and plug it into the 950XL USB-C port, and this is what I got:

wp_ss_20160629_0001.jpg

I was then able to copy a file from SD Card2 (installed in the phone), and paste it in SD Card1 (connected to USB-C port). This could come in handy":^)

NOTE: I bought this Digital 64GB Data Traveler Flash Drive as a test, and although it works great (so far) I do wish it had a protective cover for the USB-A port side; none is provided.

Shaz2012

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
WWhat kind of work you have!? I cannot imagine i can do it in my office.

Systems Engineer. I connected the display dock to the monitor's hdmi in port. When I want to use my phone, I just change the input of the monitor.

I have headphones connected to my phone for the sound, separate wedge keyboard and mouse for input that go back into my desk drawer when i'm done.

Shaz2012

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
WWhat kind of work you have!? I cannot imagine i can do it in my office.

Systems Engineer. I connected the display dock to the monitor's hdmi in port. When I want to use my phone, I just change the input of the monitor.

I have headphones connected to my phone for the sound, separate wedge keyboard and mouse for input that go back into my desk drawer when i'm done.

probably when the boss is not looking or he's the boss :wink:

I wish I was the boss. :smile:

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
The NETFLIX app doesn't work in Continuum...are you saying the web version? That is what sucks about Continuum, 90% of the apps don't work.

netflix app itself doesn't seem to work 100%.

Those "90%" of apps that don't work in continuum need to be updated. Can you say that core MS apps don't work in continuum?

decker5

May 26, 2016
Visit site
Office suite, SMS, Internet explorer, email work perfectly

it would be nice if more apps used Continuum but for productivity I think everything is there

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss