Data Only Set-Up

Manu Sekhri1

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
Have some friends that buy Data only plans on their iOS and Android phones and use SIP clients and texting apps exclusively.

I have tried Zoiper and it does not work in the background or have a push server to receive calls and prompt, it also does not seem to send/receive SMS messages well.

I am in Canada so if someone is doing this and can post some guidance it would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks!

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
ha I was just asking the same thing last week about who uses voip full time...

I thought zoiper had push from reading their stuff... I never got to try it. I'm tempted because of the Fido $15/3gb tablet plan. I actually have it now, but I'm too chicken to go full voip yet so I still have traditional cell service with rogers. Bottom line, my bill is still cheaper by 30$... maybe when I'm more clear about voip I'll cut the traditional cell service line!

My cousin was telling me about use voip.ms and zoiper on his android and how sms he would still need to use voip.ms portal or apps to access them.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I have tried Zoiper and it does not work in the background or have a push server to receive calls and prompt,

Actually on this point... maybe you should try going into battery settings and setting Zoiper to NOT let windows manage but always be running in the background or something. Doing something similar to the health app made notifications and cortana for my band2 work way better.

Manu Sekhri1

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
I got the same Fido Plan.

I have a freephoneline.ca account, so it includes voicemail.

The key is the VoIP client, right now I am using Zoiper but it only really works well on outbound calling. It also does not route voice calls through Bluetooth which sucks while driving.

Hoping more people like yourself can contribute and we can crack this nut in Windows 10 Mobile...

ha I was just asking the same thing last week about who uses voip full time...

I thought zoiper had push from reading their stuff... I never got to try it. I'm tempted because of the Fido $15/3gb tablet plan. I actually have it now, but I'm too chicken to go full voip yet so I still have traditional cell service with rogers. Bottom line, my bill is still cheaper by 30$... maybe when I'm more clear about voip I'll cut the traditional cell service line!

My cousin was telling me about use voip.ms and zoiper on his android and how sms he would still need to use voip.ms portal or apps to access them.

Manu Sekhri1

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
Will do, thanks...

Actually on this point... maybe you should try going into battery settings and setting Zoiper to NOT let windows manage but always be running in the background or something. Doing something similar to the health app made notifications and cortana for my band2 work way better.

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
I thin SMS do not count as "data" so it is normal that they wouldn't work in a "data only" plan. In that case you can use WhatsApp, Skype, Line, Facebook Messenger, etc to send messages or make calls.

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
Wait I get it, you want a client to route sms as well as calls? I think skype works well enough for calls, but I don't know about sms :v

Manu Sekhri1

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
Need a good SIP client that has a push server and can deal with incoming/outgoing text messaging.

I already have a VoIP service with freephoneline.ca

It seems like there are only two choices, Zoiper and Linphone -- can someone share thoughts?

Wait I get it, you want a client to route sms as well as calls? I think skype works well enough for calls, but I don't know about sms :v

Manu Sekhri1

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
I have been using Zoiper pretty successfully but the background push does not work and it does not have the ability to route sound over Bluetooth....

For texting, TextMe seems to be the only solution...

Scott Haner

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
Likewise, In Canada, I've used Zoiper and LinPhone with good success, Zoiper on both Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows "Mobile" 10 on a Lumia 650 works great for Outbound calling. In Windows Phone 8.1, routing the SIP # to ring my LinPhone account worked perfect, 95% of the time from sleep LinPhone would wake up and ring like a regular phone within the first ring.

However, since Anniversary Update, LinPhone now looks like it just pops a single Toast notification and notification length sound when it's ringing, instead of ringing like a regular phone the whole time. There does not appear to be any setting anywhere to let it act like a phone and bring the full app to the front, or maintain the notification and ringtone for the duration of the incoming call attempt. So it still comes through 95% of the time, but can easily be brushed off as any other notification if not looking at the phone, as even selecting a ringtone length audio file for the notification sound, it only plays the first second of that sound until the Toast/Pop-Down notification goes away.

Conversely, on my wifes iPad, where it used to be atrocious, the updated LinPhone app all now perfectly wakes up and rings to her iPad like a phone for the entire duration of the call attempt. Given Alarm apps and the like on Windows 10 on Lumia stay in front correctly until dismissed, I'm sure some developer option exists to update LinPhone to allow it to keep ringing/notifying instead of just the single toast notification.

As for Zoiper, I use it for outbound only, as lately on Windows Phone/Mobile, it only rings on incoming calls if the app is open and on top, and on iOS, it just never receives calls...ever, even when it's awake and on the screen.

For text, I mostly use services like Whatapp and FB Messanger with regular contacts, and if anyone texts my SIP Phone #, it treats it like a regular "Text to LandLine" service, so the sender knows it does not really support SMS/Txt, even though I still get a voicemail with a Text to Speech version of the SMS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234