Photo and Camera Gallery Bug

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Im running OS build 14393.189 (1607) and ive noticed that in the default Gallery when Im zooming in and out of images taken from the camera... the screen freezes and the only way to fix it is to wake the phone on and off (as you would do normally).. and the gallery is working fine again... also, when openning the gallery app from inside the camera (the small image in to top corner of the camera viewfinder) to view your images.. the screen goes black.. and again.. I just wake the phone on and off.. and its fine again..

It looks to me like a gallery bug.. not a camera / phone bug... this only happens occassionally, but its annoying

Has anyone else experienced this and maybe fixed.it... and if not fixed.. can you recommend a 3rd party gallery app..

Thanks all

Last edited:

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
The app is quite buggy and laggy on production build for me. On Lumia 730. When I open a pic, apparently I have to wait for 1 sec or 2 for the pic to show properly. It's blurry till then. Also I can't zoom in or swipe to another photo. My phone has quite a lot of pics, and when I tap on a month to view pics from say last year, when I back out after viewing a photo, the scroll position resets to top. This sucks!

nithinRaj-730

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
I too having the same problem since I updated to w10m. I am on the latest update (production) on my lumia 830. And, when open a photo in the gallery, it takes some time to get clear. Never experienced likewise in wp8.1.

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
The app is quite buggy and laggy on production build for me. On Lumia 730. When I open a pic, apparently I have to wait for 1 sec or 2 for the pic to show properly. It's blurry till then. Also I can't zoom in or swipe to another photo. My phone has quite a lot of pics, and when I tap on a month to view pics from say last year, when I back out after viewing a photo, the scroll position resets to top. This sucks!

Are your photos stored in an SD card? If yes, then that could be the reason for the lag. I advise for you to keep your files inside the phone's main memory instead of the SD card.

Also, I agree that it sucks for the gallery to return to the top position, as it was in other Microsoft built in apps, like in Settings for example. Hope MSFT makes an effort to enhance user experience on W10M in the following months :(

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Are your photos stored in an SD card? If yes, then that could be the reason for the lag. I advise for you to keep your files inside the phone's main memory instead of the SD card.

Also, I agree that it sucks for the gallery to return to the top position, as it was in other Microsoft built in apps, like in Settings for example. Hope MSFT makes an effort to enhance user experience on W10M in the following months :(

Should it matter if the photos are stored on SD card or internal storage? If Android can handle it, why should not Windows? Whenever my friends see my phone, and photos app, they swear they would have never bought Windows Phone. Well, the result is 0.5% market share, yet MS don't understand at all!

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Should it matter if the photos are stored on SD card or internal storage? If Android can handle it, why should not Windows? Whenever my friends see my phone, and photos app, they swear they would have never bought Windows Phone. Well, the result is 0.5% market share, yet MS don't understand at all!

it can matter if the sd card isn't that good in quality.

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Experienced this glitch on my 730 during early builds of windows phone 10 TP. Havent seen this happening after the AU update. Could be a app bug, (photos app).

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Same here, I started a thread on it. Not too many people complain about it somehow, but it's pretty bad when you show people pictures. I'm trying to show off the amazing camera, and the phone decides to make all pictures look super crappy initially. Good move..

http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...ond-delay-showing-sharp-pictures-just-me.html

RFTA

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
My wife just started having the black screen issue on her 950. If she takes a picture and then clicks the image on the camera app, she gets a black screen. But, if she goes to the Photo Gallery manually, they show correctly.

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
it can matter if the sd card isn't that good in quality.

But it is a class 10 SanDisk Ultra card! Every Android phone handles it very well. Why can't my Windows? Well, the app is not on par with even third party gallery app like 'QuickPic' on Android. If a third party dev can do it, why can't Microsoft, a Software company? And the Windows Phone 8.1 Album app was perfect, fast and stable. I don't see any feature added in the Windows 10 app, except for the automated albums. 10 app is slow, buggy and crashes, I don't understand why they replaced it?

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Same here, I started a thread on it. Not too many people complain about it somehow, but it's pretty bad when you show people pictures. I'm trying to show off the amazing camera, and the phone decides to make all pictures look super crappy initially. Good move..

http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...ond-delay-showing-sharp-pictures-just-me.html

It puts a very very bad impression. If an OS can't show photos properly, forget about it being successful. Also god save me, when I save a photo after editing it in a photo editor, ex. Fantasia Painter. Nobody complains about it though. I wonder how? Are these e-mail and Office only people?

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site

Actually it does matter, and the same applies to Android as well. Granted that Android's more optimized than Windows in terms of reading files from SD Cards, but I'm not talking about this fact as I know that W10M is still quite new compared to Android, and optimizations will come along.

What I wanted to point out is that there are many type of SD cards with different read and write speeds, and no matter how good of a phone you have, be it Android or Windows, it will still take a long time for the phone to access any files, not just photos, from an SD card with a slow read/write speed.

But this is assuming that you're using a low quality SD card. Also, it is advisable to reformat your SD card through the phone or the PC (back up your data before you do so!) as some people have reported this to increase their performance. This is especially true if your SD card is previously used in another phone, and you just put it in into a new phone without first reformatting it. This comes from my own experience, so your mileage may vary.

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Actually it does matter, and the same applies to Android as well. Granted that Android's more optimized than Windows in terms of reading files from SD Cards, but I'm not talking about this fact as I know that W10M is still quite new compared to Android, and optimizations will come along.

What I wanted to point out is that there are many type of SD cards with different read and write speeds, and no matter how good of a phone you have, be it Android or Windows, it will still take a long time for the phone to access any files, not just photos, from an SD card with a slow read/write speed.

But this is assuming that you're using a low quality SD card. Also, it is advisable to reformat your SD card through the phone or the PC (back up your data before you do so!) as some people have reported this to increase their performance. This is especially true if your SD card is previously used in another phone, and you just put it in into a new phone without first reformatting it. This comes from my own experience, so your mileage may vary.

Well, the card is Class 10 SanDisk Ultra variant. I reset the phone, formatted the card, copied all the content all over and the performance is the same. I have done this whole process twice. Yet, the Photos app works like garbage. On the other hand, The same card worked very well without even formatting on my Android, even on Windows Phone 8.1. Which led me to the conclusion that Windows 10 Mobile Photos app is utter garbage.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
This has been an on going issue. Neither the camera or gallery have been completely smooth or bug free for a long time

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Well, the card is Class 10 SanDisk Ultra variant. I reset the phone, formatted the card, copied all the content all over and the performance is the same. I have done this whole process twice. Yet, the Photos app works like garbage. On the other hand, The same card worked very well without even formatting on my Android, even on Windows Phone 8.1. Which led me to the conclusion that Windows 10 Mobile Photos app is utter garbage.

TBH even class 10 SD cards do not guarantee faster read/write speeds. Do check your SD card model's read and write speed.

Anyway, I've resorted to no longer rely on SD card for my photos, and save them on my phone memory instead. Performance has been very good for me so far. The only thing I use my SD card for is to store my music library and some documents.

Mesbah

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
My findings:
  • SDXC card must be good quality ( not a Lexar)
  • Insert new SDXC into 950XL and never ever take it out to copy/delete/etc. files & folders on a PC. All file/folder manipulations must be done via USB cable while SD card is inside MS phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte