Can't send text messages without rebooting

GhostITMG

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I was having camera issues with my 950XL, so I took it to the Microsoft Store and they replaced it with a refurbished model. Now, after having reinstalled everything, I'm having issues with sending text messages. If I do a soft reset, I can send messages for about 24hours. After that, I simply cannot send them anymore. Sending just fails with a "Can't Send. Retry" error. Once I do another soft reset, then it works again. I have hard reset the device twice now in hopes of fixing this, but no luck. Has anyone else run into this problem?

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I was having camera issues with my 950XL, so I took it to the Microsoft Store and they replaced it with a refurbished model. Now, after having reinstalled everything, I'm having issues with sending text messages. If I do a soft reset, I can send messages for about 24hours. After that, I simply cannot send them anymore. Sending just fails with a "Can't Send. Retry" error. Once I do another soft reset, then it works again. I have hard reset the device twice now in hopes of fixing this, but no luck. Has anyone else run into this problem?

Considering that's a refurbished deivce, and you reset it, did you dowloaded ALL windows build updates, core apps updates, and firmware updates?

Try removing and cleaning SIM

GhostITMG

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Maurizio. I did ensure that all updates are installed and that all apps are updated. I will try cleaning the SIM. I'll post back the results.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site

Which build are you on? Also do you have the dual sim version? I'm wondering if this is in relation to the SIM issue that used to happen randomly with the dual sim device. They claimed they fixed it (and it doesn't do what it used to do) but now every once in a while I have the same issue you are describing. Although mine is not on an exact schedule and is rather intermittent. I do the same to fix it, soft reset. I haven't provided feedback yet cuz I wasn't sure if it was just me but now I might.

GhostITMG

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm on build #10.0.14936.1000. I do have the unlocked dual sim version. I have my US SIM card in slot 1 and a UK SIM card in slot 2. I'm wondering if it would help to take out the UK SIM card I'm not going to be using for a while? But good to know I'm not the only one experiencing this issue!

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm on build #10.0.14936.1000. I do have the unlocked dual sim version. I have my US SIM card in slot 1 and a UK SIM card in slot 2. I'm wondering if it would help to take out the UK SIM card I'm not going to be using for a while? But good to know I'm not the only one experiencing this issue!

I'm on the same build, I only use the first SIM card slot and I still get the issue every now and then (been more prominent with this build) so taking out the UK SIM may or may not help, wouldn't hurt to try. Next time I have the issue I'm going to see if I can track down what's going on rather than doing a soft-reset

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site

This build is awful. it causes constant reboots and freezes.

peter ratcliffe

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
I have the same problem with the 950 single sim on same build.
EE said they would refresh my network settings but it made no difference.
At home where I have a signal booster it does not happen.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem with the 950 single sim on same build.
EE said they would refresh my network settings but it made no difference.
At home where I have a signal booster it does not happen.

I bet the issue is related to trying to switch between 2G/3G/4G and the phone dropping connection.... ok now I really want the issue to happen to test out this theory lol

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
you are on fast ring insider (Redstone 2) experimental developer build , not for generic public which exhibits such glitches or bugs. For extra reliability and stability you need to roll back to the public release using Windows Device Recovery Tool (W.D.R.T.) .

Here is the link to a knowledge article with instructions and download links:> How to unenroll from the Windows Insider Program for PC and Mobile | Windows Central

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Having the same issue in the most current build with skype preview. I have to just close the app either the messages app or the skype preview and if will fix itself. No need for soft reset

GhostITMG

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
you are on fast ring insider (Redstone 2) experimental developer build , not for generic public which exhibits such glitches or bugs. For extra reliability and stability you need to roll back to the public release using Windows Device Recovery Tool (W.D.R.T.) .

Here is the link to a knowledge article with instructions and download links:> How to unenroll from the Windows Insider Program for PC and Mobile | Windows Central

Thank you. I'm completely aware I'm on a fast ring insider build. I've been an insider since the program first appeared. The reason I posted about this is because I was on the exact same build with my previous phone before I had it replaced and this was never an issue. I was trying to find out if other people were aware of it and if it might be hardware related rather than software.

unmorphed

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Same thing on my mother's Lumia Icon, Verizon production build.

Because she won't leave Verizon and the constant issues with her Icon, I hated to do it but I just bought her an iPhone.

My 950, however, works great. No text issues with it on Release Preview using Skype.

enzom09

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue on my X3! It only happens when im at work and when I lose service for greater than 5min (unfortunately happens often at work lol) and I just restart. Was worried it was an X3 issue but glad (sorry for your troubles haha) to see it's affecting loads of other ppl. For the record I have an SD card in slot 2.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Good to know! I have reported the issue in the feedback hub. Hoping this gets resolved with the next fastring update, whenever that's coming! LOL:)

Ever since I posted that I can't wait for the issue to come up to test some things it has not once been an issue :( lol

Anyways, I agree with you! I reported to feedback hub now that I know others have the issue, hopefully they can fix it. Based off of enzom09 description it really sounds like it's when switching between networks or losing connection and then getting it back. Something isn't being reset during that transition.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234