I got visual voice mail working on my unlocked 950xl

newEDB

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
I use cricket wireless service.
I used to have a AT&T 640, the visual voice mail does not work. It is a convenient feature I really miss.
I bought an unlocked 950xl through the Black Friday BOGO deal, then purchased a new Cricket SIM card from amazon.com (the SIM card for 640 is too big for 950XL). I followed the instructions from the cricket wireless website to activate the SIM, and transferred my 640 phone number to the 950xl. Then the visual voice mail just works.

Here is what I understand. As long as the IME number of a windows phone is in Cricket Wireless's database, visual voice mail will work. The SIM activation step entered my 950xl's IME number into their database.

As to my AT&T 640, since Cricket Wireless is a subsidiary of AT&T, the cricket voice and data service just works on any AT&T phone. So when I retired my old Cricket 630, I simply moved the SIM from it to the 640, and never actually input the 640 IME number into their database. I hope I learned that before.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
IF it does NOT work, a suggestion ...
  • have your sim in the device
  • call yourself - or have someone call you
  • DON'T answer, instead let it roll to Voicemail
  • U MUST know your carrier VMS password
  • Retrieve your message, Visual Voicemail s/b there after that
  • else, call your carrier.

I had VVM on my Lumia 1520, took the sim, put it in my Lumia 950XL.
VVM did NOT work out of the box.
After these steps (above) I had VVM.
Worked on my wife's Lumia 950, also.

mojophone

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm in the same situation -- moved from a Cricket 630 to an AT&T 640 (still using Cricket's service), losing visual voicemail. I just checked with Cricket, however, and my IMEI is already in their database. I'm able to retrieve voicemail no problem, but VVM has not returned. Any other ideas? The support person I was chatting with seemed a bit confused, saying their VVM app only existed for Android phones.

Last edited:

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the same situation -- moved from a Cricket 630 to an AT&T 640 (still using Cricket's service), losing visual voicemail. I just checked with Cricket, however, and my IMEI is already in their database. I'm able to retrieve voicemail no problem, but VVM has not returned. Any other ideas? The support person I was chatting with seemed a bit confused, saying their VVM app only existed for Android phones.

Restart (or soft reset) your device ... assuming you had it before.

mojophone

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I had VVM on the original Cricket 630. It's never worked since I moved to the AT&T 640, about a year ago (I simply moved the Cricket SIM from the 630 to the 640). I did a complete reset when updating the 640 to Win10, fwiw. May just not be in the cards for me.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre