Dual SIM CARD question

crg28

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I will be out of the country for 15 days. I have a DUAL SIM 950XL and I will have a AT&T Gold Passport Plan, but I will also buy a local SIM CARD to get a local number to talk to family members there (Brazil).

My question is can I have both SIM Cards working at the same time? I need to have my TXT msgs available at all times from the US for work, while at the same time I would like the phone calls with the local SIM card to also be active the whole time. Is this possible?

If so, is it possible to have both SIM CARDS on at the same time so that I do not miss a call on my US number or on my Brazilian number?

Please advise,

Tejas Javery

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Well, to be honest, i don't know much about international stuff, but i am pretty sure, if you have two sims installed on your phone, both work. Yes, at the same time. That is the whole point of it being a dual sim. :)
You will get messages on both your sim cards. It will come under one app, the messaging app. Only the colours will be different for both the sim card. So for example if you have a message on your local sim, it will be in orange, and if it is on the other sim, it will be definitely not orange.
In case of calls, you will still be able to use both the sim cards, yes, at the same time.
Microsoft has two different apps for two sims. Phone 1 and phone 2. So both the sim cards will have their separate logs, and separate colours.
So basically, both sims will work, at a same time.

Tejas Javery

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
You get an option to select which sim card you want to use for data. you can change the whenever you want. it is right there in settings, network and wireless, mobile and sim, "use this sim for mobile data." Hope this helps. :)

This is really neat. But does the phone know which DATA to use from? AT&T SIM or Other SIM?

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
To add to this, it can only use data on one of the sim cards, but text and call using both.

TIP: if you use data on your foreign SIM, remember to set it to "don't roam" and/or remember to switch back when you leave. I lost a lot of calling credit because I forgot to toggle back to my US card when I got back.

Tejas Javery

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Oh i totally forgot to mention this. Thank you So much for covering me up! :)
To add to this, it can only use data on one of the sim cards, but text and call using both.

TIP: if you use data on your foreign SIM, remember to set it to "don't roam" and/or remember to switch back when you leave. I lost a lot of calling credit because I forgot to toggle back to my US card when I got back.

mggm100

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
This is really neat. But does the phone know which DATA to use from? AT&T SIM or Other SIM?

You will be able to specify which SIM is to be the data SIM from the SIM settings. I have used an international data-only SIM in the SIM2 slot while traveling abroad. It works just about everywhere, so it can be set to "roam." It works seamlessly when crossing borders.

Settings/Network and Wireless/Cellular and SIM

Just under "Data connection" you will see "Use this SIM for cellular data." As I recall, the selection box is grayed out until you have both SIMs installed.

Edited to add: I just noticed that my post is almost a duplicate of an earlier one. Hope it helps anyway.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Also keep in mind that because only one SIM is using a data connection, you cannot access advanced features like visual voicemail, etc. on the secondary SIM. This is the biggest problem I have run into.

Also, it seems like ever since I started using 2 SIM cards, my reception has been noticeably worse. Not sure if anyone has seen the same?

Mesbah

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Contact AT&T to set u up for Brazil otherwise in Brazil your AT& SIM may not find a cell provider. In Brazil u may need to ask 950XL AT&T SIM search for a provider there. Some stupid cell providers like WIND Mobile (now Freedom Mobile) advertise that their customers have no problem with reception in most European countries and then when you land in Europe there is absolutely no slightest signal on their SIM card. 950XL has the option to search for signal on a SIM card and if several found you can select which one to connect on SIM AT&T.

anon(5841099)

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Just for those saying you can use both SIMs at the same time for calls and texts... As far as I know, the 950 XL is Dual Standby, not Dual Active. Meaning if you receive a call on SIM1 and answer it, you will not receive anything (calls, texts) on SIM2 for the duration of the call on SIM1.

Important distinction to make. Dual Standby is the market standard basically, there are very few Dual Active smartphones that I know of at least.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Also keep in mind that you can't have two 3G/4G only sims at the same time. When one is on data with 4G/3G the other can only connect on 2G.

mms also needs data connection to be ON for the sim the mms is from to receive/send

No big deal, I manage by swapping as I need it.

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Greetings,
Does it matter which slot the sim card is in: does sim 1 over-ride sim 2, or sim 2 over-ride sim1?
If I choose one of the sim cards (slot 1) to receive data, the other sim card in slot 2 turns off and gets no signal and vice versa, if I choose the data to be card 2, the number 1 loses all signals.
Anyone else have this problem with dual sim 950's?

Last edited:

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
For what it's worth,
I think I found the cause of my dual sim problem.
Only one sim can have access to 4G or LTE data at a time. The other can use only 2G. Apparently, my cell service providers do not use 2G, thus no signal!!
Obviously this stinks and makes the extra sim slot useless.....

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo