04-22-2017 10:25 AM
97 123 ...
tools
    Hi everyone,

I updated my lumia 950XL to 14393.576 sometime back and since then the phones been rebooting or shutting down a lot randomly. Like I'll be in the middle of a call or opening an application or typing a message and it would either restart or the phone screen would just go blank. It's practically unusable right now. And sometimes when I try to reboot it, it just gives me the dead battery sign even though there's plenty of juice left in it. For example, this morning I went out to get breakfast and my phone just died. And I know it had around 80% battery left. When I came back home and plugged it in, it showed me there was still 75% left. I tried soft and hard reset and none seem to be working. And I'm not sure if I should take it to the microsoft store because my warranty ended last month and I don't think I want to pay for my phone's repair, especially because it's not something that I did.

Anyone else having these issues?
    Likwidz and Minh Junior Dinh like this.
    12-19-2016 01:58 PM
    I am also experiencing these reboots. L950.
    12-19-2016 03:00 PM
    I am also experiencing these reboots. L950.
    I'm so mad right now...and feel helpless...if I could strangle someone at Microsoft right now, I would...This phone and Win10m have been nothing but a disaster for me
    12-19-2016 04:24 PM
    I'm so mad right now...and feel helpless...if I could strangle someone at Microsoft right now, I would...This phone and Win10m have been nothing but a disaster for me
    Yeah I hear you loud and clear. Hard to believe this mess has been in the hands of the public for a year already and still feels beta.
    aj173 likes this.
    12-19-2016 07:19 PM
    Mine's starting to act up as well. I though I was one of the lucky ones, but alas.. Running Slow Ring build 14965. I find that the screen stays dark when I wake the phone with the camera button, but it turns out it's still taking pictures in that mode. Hitting power will show that the camera is active. I get hot pocket syndrome and reboots. Just now I hit power to check whatsapp, and the screen just went blank. No way out but to use power+voldown. What a mess.

Is the fast ring any better? Or are we just SOL unless we flash the stable release? Not a happy camper..
    12-20-2016 09:01 AM
    How many threads are we going to have about this particular issue? Why don't people use the search function in the forums before posting?

Anyway...If your 950/950 XL suffer from random reboots/strange battery level reports etc YOUR BATTERY IS BUSTED. Plain & simple. The only fix is to get a new battery. No amount of flashing/resetting is going to change anything to your situation. There are plenty of users all over the world who have already reported these issues and just had to get a new battery.
    aimulaidni likes this.
    12-20-2016 10:53 AM
    I think MAK11 is having issue with the difference between association and causation. For me, when I first bought the L950 at launch, I dealt with random reboots. A few builds later no more random reboots. So initially I had random reboots along with a normal functional battery. For many months I did not experience any random reboots, and now all of a sudden they are back. And now I can determine that every single random reboot I experience more recently occurs only when Wi-Fi is turned on, and I am reach the limit of the range for my router. So for my case I am quite confident that the random reboots are not due to a bad battery, but OS related.
    Mesbah and aj173 like this.
    12-20-2016 12:12 PM
    So for my case I am quite confident that the random reboots are not due to a bad battery, but OS related.
    Same here. For me it happens around using the camera, and only recently. For me that all but rules out the battery. It's actually getting worse, it almost seemed like the phone was in a boot loop. It wouldn't get past the windows logo. Sheesh..

So if I may ask again, are things better on the fast ring? Has anyone tried to 'move up' to see if it helped?
    12-20-2016 12:54 PM
    Same here. For me it happens around using the camera, and only recently. For me that all but rules out the battery. It's actually getting worse, it almost seemed like the phone was in a boot loop. It wouldn't get past the windows logo. Sheesh..

So if I may ask again, are things better on the fast ring? Has anyone tried to 'move up' to see if it helped?
    Mine is getting worse day by day as well. I haven't jumped to the slow/fast ring, am curious to find out what others are experiencing too.
    12-20-2016 05:50 PM
    I think MAK11 is having issue with the difference between association and causation.
    True. I checked the other threads before posting here. And I really do believe it's an issue with the current build.
    Player Piano likes this.
    12-20-2016 09:11 PM

I haven't tried the insider program. I'm not sure if that would help but that seems to be the only thing left that I can try out now. My phone isnt getting any better and the fact that these people wont come out with any new builds before the new year makes me wonder if I'll be able to use this phone at all till then.
    12-20-2016 09:16 PM
    Mine is getting worse day by day as well. I haven't jumped to the slow/fast ring, am curious to find out what others are experiencing too.
    Well I'm taking the plunge, I'm installing the fast ring. I somehow doubt it will fix this, but with a bit of luck it will work like a phone for a few days.

In the meantime, have people successfully flashed back from the RS build to the stable build and restored from RS backup?

Sent from mTalk, a great Tapatalk alternative
    12-20-2016 09:52 PM
    Well I'm taking the plunge, I'm installing the fast ring. I somehow doubt it will fix this, but with a bit of luck it will work like a phone for a few days.

In the meantime, have people successfully flashed back from the RS build to the stable build and restored from RS backup?

Hmmm... That is an interesting question... Never really tried it... Could you let us know if it works for you?
    12-20-2016 10:06 PM
    Hmmm... That is an interesting question... Never really tried it... Could you let us know if it works for you?
    I will post back here with my findings. Just finished updating to the fast ring, no crashes yet in the first minute. :D

Player Piano likes this.
    12-20-2016 10:35 PM
    Actually, I own a Lumia 950xl when it was on sale for 450AU in Australia, that's a steal. However, I also experience these issues. Also, they seem to be prevalent on most Lumia 950 phones. It only restarts occasionally when I am using it. Windows 10 on phones are buggy, but they are improving, slowly.
    12-21-2016 03:57 AM
    Had my 950xl for 4 months, and using release preview but so far only had the phone restart once. Has worked fine so far. Am counting my blessings that I have not had this issue yet.
    12-21-2016 04:42 AM
    Check your battery once. If it reboots after a specific percentage, then time to replace the battery. My phone used to reboot when it touched 60% everytime. I checked the battery and it was swollen. To check if its swollen, place it on a flat surface and rotate it. If it rotates, time to order a new battery.
    12-21-2016 07:10 AM
    Check your battery once. If it reboots after a specific percentage, then time to replace the battery. My phone used to reboot when it touched 60% everytime. I checked the battery and it was swollen. To check if its swollen, place it on a flat surface and rotate it. If it rotates, time to order a new battery.
    I did... And I tried the spin test as well... It's not swollen...but it does seem to be happening after the battery goes below 50%...I'll put it on a dial indicator and see if it's completely flat or not
    12-21-2016 09:50 AM
    Where do you order a new battery from?
    12-21-2016 09:51 AM
    I'm not entirely sure but I read on a different thread that you can buy them from eBay, the ones that ship from China. According to that person, the ones from Amazon don't work.
    12-21-2016 05:15 PM
    I am on a 640XL running the slow ring build 14965 and the random reboots became a real nuisance about 3-4 days ago and is seemingly getting worse as the days go by. For me it seems more prevalent during messaging - SMS and Phone. So it may not be just a 950 issue.
    12-21-2016 07:55 PM
    try this:

https://rounded.com/microsoft-lumia-...h-0670771.html

Its working same as original. Took a couple of weeks to adjust to the right usage. Gives me around 15 hours in a single charge.
    12-22-2016 01:54 AM
    try this:

https://rounded.com/microsoft-lumia-...h-0670771.html

Its working same as original. Took a couple of weeks to adjust to the right usage. Gives me around 15 hours in a single charge.
    Quick question...did you get 15 hrs with the original one? I know you said working same as original but I just wanted to double check because I get around 36 hrs on one charge and 15 seems low compared to that.
    12-22-2016 02:58 AM
    Quick question...did you get 15 hrs with the original one? I know you said working same as original but I just wanted to double check because I get around 36 hrs on one charge and 15 seems low compared to that.
    I haven't used the battery till 0... but ya..the original one was pretty bad at the end of the day it stayed at 40-45% and this one rests at 60-65%. I charge the phone when it reaches 40. And 100-40 in 15 hours in like 4% per hour and that is absolutely fine. Also depends on the usage and the build you are running. I was on the Fast ring with the old battery and currently I am on the release preview.
    12-22-2016 03:44 AM
    I haven't used the battery till 0... but ya..the original one was pretty bad at the end of the day it stayed at 40-45% and this one rests at 60-65%. I charge the phone when it reaches 40. And 100-40 in 15 hours in like 4% per hour and that is absolutely fine. Also depends on the usage and the build you are running. I was on the Fast ring with the old battery and currently I am on the release preview.

Cool, that will work...I'm just planning to get one, want to check if it's actually the battery causing all these issues or if its the build...things we have to do to get something as basic as a phone to work☹
    12-22-2016 09:57 AM
97 123 ...