Poll for 950/XL users - Do you Mozo? Or nah...

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
How do the flip covers wear? I have the leather back with metal trim that also flips around to protect the screen. Anyone else have it? Does it last with heavy use? It certainly was costly.
I haven't had my leather back or wood back for long, but I have no doubt the leather will hold up very well. and not need special handling to do so. Its good quality leather and should look even better as it ages. Hopefully someone who's had one for a year or so can say. I'm not so sure about the plastic sides sprayed to look like metal. No reason to think they won't but its an unknown for my experience. I have the leather back, not the flip like you but I think its the same leather.

I think the wood backs will require a lot more care. Leather has more resilience than wood. Some blows that wouldn't do anything permanent to leather could dent or cut wood. Plus many people are conditioned to appreciate some minor wear and aging on leather and even prefer it. I don't think most people like nicked up or stained wood as much.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I've heard the sides don't hold up so well over time.

I "know", vs "have heard" rumors, that the sides have been "holding up" fine over the six months we have had them so far. Admittedly, we are careful and do not abuse our phones, at all. Especially, we are not kids that put phones in our back pockets.

Best Wishes

Last edited:

benualson

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I tried a mozo but the button usage experience was terrible so I returned it. I think the power button was the worst. I ordered 2 just in case there was a defect but both were the same. I've heard others have the same complaint about them.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I "know", vs "have heard" rumors, that the sides have been "holding up" fine over the six months we have had them so far. Admittedly, we are careful and do not abuse our phones, at all. Especially, we are not kids that put phones in our back pockets.

Best Wishes

Glad to hear the paint on the sides of your leather Mozo back are "holding up" well! However, there are numerous reports of the paint fading and being easily scratched up on these forums. Including some on this very thread. So your experience may vary. And someone reporting that the paint is fading does not necessarily mean that they are kids.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I tried a mozo but the button usage experience was terrible so I returned it. I think the power button was the worst. I ordered 2 just in case there was a defect but both were the same. I've heard others have the same complaint about them.
If you mean the power button doesn't come out as far as the factory backs, that is apparently intentional.

It may be to reduce the chance of accidentally turning the phone off when attempting to change the volume. Since people complain about pressing the wrong button on 950XLs what Mozo did makes pressing the wrong button less likely by making it easier to feel which button your finger is on and also making it less likely to turn the phone off.

Accidentally turning a phone off is not good. I hate the power button on the 4S which is on the upper left side which means its right where your left thumb would rest when holding the phone in landscape mode. I messed up a few videos by touching that button while recording and had to adapt to a less secure finger placement.

I personally didn't have a problem with the 950XL button arrangement and actually prefer them since, for whatever reasons, I haven't accidentally pressed the wrong buttons plus I like to be able to take screen shots with one finger on two buttons which is impossible with traditional button arrangements.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
In regards to complaints on the Mozo edges and power button here is my opinion with my Mozo case.

I ordered the Bamboo with the soft touch rubberized black edges. I did this on purpose after seeing the fake metal edge show premature wearing.

As for my rubberized edges, they are holding up like champs. Still looks brand new with no signs of wear.

As for the power button it does not stick out like the factory one and at first the button is stiff and a little hard to press.
After some use it becomes a little easier to press and is now perfect IMO. I dont accidentally press the power button anymore when searching for volume up/down buttons.

I'm happy with my purchase. Only regret is my own stupid fault. Working on car one day and had grease on my hands when someone called me and I grabbed my phone. Now there is a grease stain on back of case and since it is wood it soaked up the grease. :(

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Only regret is my own stupid fault. Working on car one day and had grease on my hands when someone called me and I grabbed my phone. Now there is a grease stain on back of case and since it is wood it soaked up the grease. :(

Sorry about your phone back :(. Does it at least add some extra character? :p

Regardless, this is a good cautionary tale for the rest of us with Mozo wood backs.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Mozo responded to my email inquiry saying the wood backs have no finish on them. So stains could happen fairly easily even just from skin oils.

I asked around wood finishing forums and am leaning toward using a salad bowl finish or wipe on poly on my zebra-wood Mozo back.

I'm still looking for a matte salad bowl finish although the regular stuff is fairly low gloss but definitely will make the backs shinier than unfinished.

Salad bowl finish or wiping poly should be very easy to apply. No brushes or spray that can leave brush marks or runs. It's just wiped on with a soft rag.

The salad bowl finish will have less effect on the feel of the grain since it isn't as thick.

Now to decide to take the plunge now or switch back to my leather back and wait for someone else to try it first. ;)

Last edited:

HM84

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
I couldn't get over the power button issue on 950 XL covers. Any honest feedback on that?

My brown leather cover had tough buttons to begin with, and now they seem to have receded further inside, making pressing that much tougher. The power button is also no longer parallel with the case edge, which is quite disappointing. Fortunately it is not affecting use any more than it did in the beginning, as in there are no accidental presses. So I'm not too upset (only just).

I still keep it only because I already bought it, and it does look better (to me at least) than the original case, power button aside, and it is sturdier than the original. But for anyone interested in getting a new one: caveat emptor.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't get over the power button issue on 950 XL covers. Any honest feedback on that?

I don't use the power button. I use double tap to wake, DTTW all the time. Not a problem for me. If ever needed, the button on the side works with just a tiny bit of extra effort. I think I have used it three times in 6 months. Not worth "worrying" or "fixating" about.
Move along, nothing happening here.

Last edited:

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Just a follow up on my experience with my Dark Walnut Mozo case on my Lumia 950 XL. Still really enjoying the look and feel of the device with the back. But the back has started to do some of creaking that the rest of the 950 backs are known to do.

Kinda disappointing. Can't say I blame Mozo, more of a design flaw with the 950 and 950 XL. A 950 XL with a Mozo back feels super premium, until it starts creaking. Then not so much.

badelhas

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Just a follow up on my experience with my Dark Walnut Mozo case on my Lumia 950 XL. Still really enjoying the look and feel of the device with the back. But the back has started to do some of creaking that the rest of the 950 backs are known to do.

Kinda disappointing. Can't say I blame Mozo, more of a design flaw with the 950 and 950 XL. A 950 XL with a Mozo back feels super premium, until it starts creaking. Then not so much.

Maybe they can improve it´s quality in the future. Cant you ask for a refund?

Cheers

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Maybe they can improve it´s quality in the future. Cant you ask for a refund?

Cheers

I don't think there will be anymore Lumias, or Mozo backs for Lumias. The Mozo back is still a great product. It's just that the Lumia design is flawed and prone to the looseness/creakiness of backs on the device. Just the way it is, i guess.

Still happy to have the Mozo back over the original back.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I don't think there will be anymore Lumias, or Mozo backs for Lumias. The Mozo back is still a great product. It's just that the Lumia design is flawed and prone to the looseness/creakiness of backs on the device. Just the way it is, i guess.

Still happy to have the Mozo back over the original back.

This. I'm so glad that Mozo backs are a thing.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I am using 1 that I bought less than a month ago but it has problems. The buttons have caved in as if they are permanately being pressed. The adhesive for the volume up button and power button have broken free on the inside of the back so the bottom of the power up button and top of the power button stay presed in. I went to their website and clicked on contact which allowed me to send an email to their "shop" department but does anyone know how to contact their customer service or some way to discuss this issue? I've only had the case 3 weeks.

HM84

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
I am using 1 that I bought less than a month ago but it has problems. The buttons have caved in as if they are permanately being pressed. The adhesive for the volume up button and power button have broken free on the inside of the back so the bottom of the power up button and top of the power button stay presed in. I went to their website and clicked on contact which allowed me to send an email to their "shop" department but does anyone know how to contact their customer service or some way to discuss this issue? I've only had the case 3 weeks.

You just described exactly how my buttons receded, so I guess it's a common thing. I personally will not bother contacting them since I expect a new one will perform in a similar fashion. If it becomes to tedious I will switch back to tapping on and off, or back to the old cover if worst comes to worst.

Really I got it for its looks, and while definitely better than the original white, it's not nearly as premium as the pictures showed. So when it goes, I say it had a good run. As long as yours doesn't obstruct your use, or the workarounds I mentioned are sufficient, then just enjoy it for what it brings you.

jasonm2009

May 13, 2016
Visit site
I have the black leather back. It is lovely and adds everything that the phone needs to resemble a flagship Phone. Unfortunately the button set up is a little dodgey as I have read on several forums. Mozo covers are perfect for Windows Phones

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb