Is the 950 XL a good choice?

Sean Legend

Jan 31, 2017
Visit site
The regular 950 is out of the question. The Lumia XL has been getting lower in price recently. I've used a 640 before but I'm skeptical about spending so much. Any 950 XL users that can help out?

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
From my experience the 950xl is a very good phone. Most all of the hardware bugs that were present just after introduction have been addressed. The software held it back and gave the overall package a bad name. Now, the software has had many upgrades and is running smooth in most cases.

It is selling for $275 - $375 on Swappa.com depending on the condition. It's a great buy and will last you until something better comes. Who knows, it may be something that you can hang on to for a couple of years. I loved mine but went with the HP Elite X3 for the larger size and more memory.

Good luck.

richardeid

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I came from a Lumia Icon, which I loved, to the 950XL. Overall I'm very pleased with the upgrade. The Icon is actually still a spectacular phone. There were a couple reasons I switched from it to the 950XL but none of them were because of the Icon itself, aside from maybe the battery not being as good as it used to be and the fact that it wasn't replaceable.

When I compare the 950XL to the Icon, I'm very pleased at the spec increase. I didn't think there was anything particularly wrong with the Icon's performance, but the 950XL really does blow it away. The screen, imo, though bigger on the 950XL isn't quite as good as the screen on the Icon. I notice a bit of ghosting sometimes that I never saw on the Icon. Regardless, it's still a quality, beautiful display. Iris scanning with Windows Hello seems cool at first, but I generally just use my PIN to unlock my phone.

The phone does reboot on its own. Sometimes it's more than once a day, sometimes it doesn't happen for a few days. It's actually never done it in front of me. It happens when the phone is idle and the only way I know it happened is because when I turn on the display to use the phone instead of the Iris scanner starting the phone says something like "You must enter your PIN to turn on Windows Hello", which is the same thing it says any time I reboot the phone myself.

Also, it appears that finding an OEM battery for the 950XL is already becoming difficult. I just got my 950XL in December so obviously I'm not looking to buy an extra battery that will just sit on my desk for a couple years until the one that came with it wears out, but it's a little troubling that I may not even be able to find one when the time comes to need it. Half the reason I upgraded was because the Icon had a non-replaceable battery and, while it was my favorite smartphone I've ever had, I don't like not being able to do anything about keeping a phone once the battery wears out. But it appears that in a couple years from now, I may be right back in that position if a battery isn't available.

There are a couple other quirks here and there but I'm confident that these issues will eventually get worked out. Some of them I don't even think are phone issues as much as they are W10M issues.

Overall the 950XL is a pleasure to use. It's a sizable device, so have big hands or get used to using one-hand mode (holding the Windows/Home button) if you plan on purchasing it.

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
At half the original price, the 950XL with the dock is a Great buy.
Not too worried about finding a battery. With all the users searching for one now, I expect they will be available by the time we really need one. We only just past 1 yr.
And I don't expect to want to keep any device beyond 2 battery lives. Maybe 5+ years? The longest I have used a phone is 3 1/2 yrs. (I had 2 batteries and every few months I swapped them so they aged evenly if I didn't swap them for a fresh charge)

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
At the current prices...absolutely. I bought a 950 last September, it randomly rebooted itself, I wouldn't get WhatsApp notifications or emails unless I opened the apps to look for them and ran hot...very hot and the battery was woefull then less than 24hrs after buying it the phone fell out my pocket from about 2 feet and the front glass shattered. End of my 950! I then got a Galaxy s7 edge which I paired up with my Sony Smartwatch 3 and at Xmas I jumped ship again and got the iPhone 7 Plus 128gb and the Apple Watch Sport. Loved those but as per usual I got bored with them and felt drawn back to WP after seeing the low prices of the 950/950xl and I like to have something a little different. I picked up a good as new 950xl for only £195 here in the UK and as I'm too used to having a smart watch I grabbed a Pebble Fit Classic for only £40 brand new and I'm more than happy. Love the phone, it runs so much better than the 950 I had and I'm only missing a few apps (for now) but I mostly use WhatsApp or Facebook and TuneIn Radio and they have great apps here still. Even the battery seems to last much longer. My wife is still puzzled at my choices so I showed her the math. IPhone 7plus 128gb - £820 + Apple Watch Sport - £220= £1040 combined. compared to Lumia 950xl £195 + Pebble -£40 =£235 combined.

That's a humungous price difference for little compromise and I have all I need. A great handset and camera running a fluid unique OS and notifications on my wrist for very little outlay.

Take it for what is so and not what you're missing on a much more expensive flagship and you'll be much happier.

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
The regular 950 is out of the question. The Lumia XL has been getting lower in price recently. I've used a 640 before but I'm skeptical about spending so much. Any 950 XL users that can help out?

I was thinking about the same thing right now - my Icon now has a cracked screen that won't turn on. (A broken Nokia? Unbelievable, I know.) I wanted a reason to upgrade since the Icon is an amazing phone for its age, but now I need an upgrade. I was thinking of the 950 for its size, but I want to try out a phablet, and the 950XL seems to be the one now.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I've loved my XLs. Over the course of the year, I've owned three. The only thing that's kept me from permanently using one is the app situation. Gotta have Google apps for work. Regardless, I always found myself missing it and eventually buying another one. Overall, it's a very nice phone, and the camera is crazy good in good lighting. I gotta say, though, that I have a special place in my heart for the 640 XL. At the time, it was an all-around really good phone. Still is, in my opinion. If you're weary of spending a lot on a 950 XL, try out a 640 XL. The 950 XL is obviously better in many ways, however.

HM84

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
For all intents and purposes, my 950xl is a dream to work with, and although I haven't used either 640 or 640xl, I'm sure you will see a huge step forward, whatever your criteria are. And it goes for about half the original price, and on paper should still hold its own against the Elite and Idol.

But...

You better ask around for reliability issues. Both my 950xl and its predecessor, the 920, had random restarts. Occasionally, the headset would be totally silent when i make a call. Worst of all, freezing.

None of them happen often. If you had the same luck with your 640, and know what you're getting into, go right ahead. Make sure it's under warranty, though.

bunky1971

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
Following the trend of other posters, the 950XL is a great device. I really couldn't tell if you meant 640 regular in your post. I sold my 950xl and picked up a 640XL. Sure I lost the continuum option AND wireless charging, but I get two days out of a battery. I also don't worry as much if I drop and break a 640xl. It isn't as much to replace. Either one of the XLs will work if you're just looking for a bigger screen

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
Following the trend of other posters, the 950XL is a great device. I really couldn't tell if you meant 640 regular in your post. I sold my 950xl and picked up a 640XL. Sure I lost the continuum option AND wireless charging, but I get two days out of a battery. I also don't worry as much if I drop and break a 640xl. It isn't as much to replace. Either one of the XLs will work if you're just looking for a bigger screen
Why not 650 then?

Sean Legend

Jan 31, 2017
Visit site

I meant the regular 640, not the 640 XL. My mistake. I forgot that existed.

HM84

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
I meant the regular 640, not the 640 XL. My mistake. I forgot that existed.

Now you opened yourself up to more questions... Why did you say the regular 950 is out of the question? Size? Reputation? Because it is essentially the 950xl's smaller sibling; same functionality (minus FM radio) with a size similar to what you already have. It is also a direct upgrade to what you are already using, so you are accustomed to holding it in your hand even though you never have.

Sean Legend

Jan 31, 2017
Visit site
Now you opened yourself up to more questions... Why did you say the regular 950 is out of the question? Size? Reputation? Because it is essentially the 950xl's smaller sibling; same functionality (minus FM radio) with a size similar to what you already have. It is also a direct upgrade to what you are already using, so you are accustomed to holding it in your hand even though you never have.

The regular 950 is too small of a phone for me. Thats why I said it was out of the question. 950 XL is my preferred size.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers