MS Mobile Apps Disappearing

Mesbah

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
One by one app developers for MS Mobile pulling out quitting develop apps. eBay, PayPal, Amazon,...etc. and yet Microsoft continues only with daily stupid propaganda posts like this one:

Microsoft — not Apple — is redefining the modern PC

http://www.windowscentral.com/walt-...l-be-more-impacted-apple-microsoft-i-disagree

Instead of wasting time writing these dumb ads make some useful apps for our Microsoft Mobile phones in dire need of apps. Unless sufficient apps be available to MS mobile phones I can't see myself to purchase another MS phone. :unhappysweat::sweaty::crying:

Last edited:

PJL99

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
The three companies mentioned by the OP work perfectly using Edge in desktop mode to access their services. So why is an app required? With a capable browser like Edge a separate app isn't really required to provide full functionality for most sites.

And Amazon and PayPal apps are still in the Store.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
The three companies mentioned by the OP work perfectly using Edge in desktop mode to access their services. So why is an app required? With a capable browser like Edge a separate app isn't really required to provide full functionality for most sites.

And Amazon and PayPal apps are still in the Store.

I like your answer, but some people really want the app experience :) Amazon replaced their app with a webwrapper. That is a 'downgrade' lol

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I like your answer, but some people really want the app experience :) Amazon replaced their app with a webwrapper. That is a 'downgrade' lol

You're right, its not always the same. Yet I haven't found a time I was wishing I had the app. For others its a must have.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Sometimes there is absolutely no substitute for an app period. Below is just a handful I use with there being many more, try and access these via a browser and let me know who succeeds :winktongue: And I totally disagree with the mentality of some that apps aren't a prerequisite, they are usually designed to enhance the user experience on mobile devices.

Contour Connect
Canon Connect
Panasonic Image
PIC Gauge
eCrimp
i-ALERT... no nothing to do with "i" anything as most know it

As for websites, maybe a browser will suffice in many cases but have ran across issues with that too. Have a couple of well-known retail outlets here in my country where their sites won't load in WM no matter what browser is used, this only came about on W10M.

Many forget what their smartphones are made up of, apps, native apps. So even though many say "apps not needed" they use them every day.

"A mobile app is a software application designed to run on mobile devices such as smartphones and tablet computers. Most such devices are sold with several apps bundled as pre-installed software, such as a web browser, email client, calendar, mapping program, and an app for buying music or other media or more apps."

Last edited:

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Sometimes there is absolutely no substitute for an app period. Below is just a handful I use with there being many more, try and access these via a browser and let me know who succeeds :winktongue: And I totally disagree with the mentality of some that apps aren't a prerequisite, they are usually designed to enhance the user experience on mobile devices.

Contour Connect
Canon Connect
Panasonic Image
PIC Gauge
eCrimp
i-ALERT

As for websites, maybe a browser will suffice in many cases but have ran across issues with that too. Have a couple of well-known retail outlets here in my country where their sites won't load in WM no matter what browser is used, this only came about on W10M.

Many forget what their smartphones are made up of, apps, native apps. So even though many say "apps not needed" they use them every day.

"A mobile app is a software application designed to run on mobile devices such as smartphones and tablet computers. Most such devices are sold with several apps bundled as pre-installed software, such as a web browser, email client, calendar, mapping program, and an app for buying music or other media or more apps."

These are very, very specific apps, I'm assuming having something to do with picture/video. Not common apps that most people would use.
If you need these apps for work or an important hobby then you need to use, and probably do, Android or iPhone. Nothing wrong with that.

I was speaking more in general terms. Windows phone of course has general business apps (email, office, etc). As far as consumer apps, they have what I need but if they didn't I would use a different platform.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Have a couple of well-known retail outlets here in my country where their sites won't load in WM no matter what browser is used, this only came about on W10M.
Preaching to the choir. I've posted my total disbelief elsewhere on this forum as to why Microsoft didn't leave IE11 in mobile the way they did on PC. If W10M apps ran on 8.1, I'd be hard pressed to come up with a reason to be on 10. Only Continuum keeps me on 10 to be honest.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
These are very, very specific apps, I'm assuming having something to do with picture/video. Not common apps that most people would use.
If you need these apps for work or an important hobby then you need to use, and probably do, Android or iPhone. Nothing wrong with that.

I was speaking more in general terms. Windows phone of course has general business apps (email, office, etc). As far as consumer apps, they have what I need but if they didn't I would use a different platform.

Yes some are specific but not all are what I'd consider "out in left field", especially for enthusiast like me which I'm sure there are many. And that's the point, my requirements/needs differ from yours and vice versa, it'll be the same for everyone else no matter the platform. Apps are essential whether they are native or not, take them all away and I mean all, then see where the phone's smarts are. PCs are no different, they come equipped with the basics allowing users to add applications according to their needs, wants, taste.

Each platform has it's native apps with the "business" end being subjective. In my world each were usable as is but thankfully we had choice, allowed tailoring for my personal requirements and taste, the changes actually enhanced my experience and usability so can't imagine if we were stuck with the stock apps in some cases.

Last edited:

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Yes some are specific but not all are what I'd consider "out in left field", especially for enthusiast like me which I'm sure there are many. And that's the point, my requirements/needs differ from yours and vice versa, it'll be the same for everyone else no matter the platform. Apps are essential whether they are native or not, take them all away and I mean all, then see where the phone's smarts are. PCs are not different, they come equipped with the basics allowing users to add applications according to their needs, wants, taste.

Each platform has it's native apps with the "business" end being subjective. In my world each were usable as is but thankfully we had choice, allowed tailoring for my personal requirements and taste, the changes actually enhanced my experience and usability so can't imagine if we were stuck with the stock apps in some cases.

So have you moved to a different platform in order to have these particular apps? If so, which one and how do you like it overall compared to Windows mobile?

The reason I ask is I have used them all. They all have their pluses and minuses, but for me the best overall experience (not perfect) is WM. For others it may be different.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
So have you moved to a different platform in order to have these particular apps? If so, which one and how do you like it overall compared to Windows mobile?

The reason I ask is I have used them all. They all have their pluses and minuses, but for me the best overall experience (not perfect) is WM. For others it may be different.

A Frankenphone is in order. Apple or BlackBerry hardware, webOS UI, Motorola radios, Microsoft Office (not the iOS or Android variety), Nokia camera, iOS apps and Samsung batteries.

Just kidding about the battery.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
A Frankenphone is in order. Apple or BlackBerry hardware, webOS UI, Motorola radios, Microsoft Office (not the iOS or Android variety), Nokia camera, iOS apps and Samsung batteries.

Just kidding about the battery.

Wouldn't that be awesome, since we all have different wants and needs, to be able to special order your phone. Someday I'm sure, but probably well after I'm fertilizer.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

Moved to a different platform? That depends on which hour, day or week you ask me LOL.

In my arsenal of mobile phones we own and use on and off are: 830, 650, 950, LG G4, GS7 and iPhone 6. At any one given time two are active meaning, they have SIMs. Class myself as a habitual switcher :confused: so if something isn't to my liking, we're bored, need more, just wanting a change, a simple SIM swap rectifies that... Right now the two seeing daily use are 650 (our daily driver) and 950.

My experiences are the reversal of yours, WM has been the worst from my standpoint in that its consistency, fluidity of the OS, and overall functionality has paled in comparison to the other two. So why then am I using the 650/950? Love the ergonomics of the 650 when combined with case I have chosen, it's the "perfect fit" for me... Would have been awesome if this were the 950 instead. As for the 950, basically we're just testing it out because we can, camera plays a big role here so having at least one phone with an awesome shooter at the ready is a must. Then there's the OS, even though I'm not overly pleased with it during regular use it's unique UI keeps draws me back in, not to mention our needs 90% of the time can be sustained using it... All my phones are never too far away so being left without is not a concern.

So I did a comparison between my 950 and G4 since their specs are same/similar (CPU, GPU, RAM, screen res, etc etc), the G4 came out on top being smoother, more fluid, and with a greater amount of consistency. My only real gripe with the G4 is that it doesn't have that feel in-hand that suits me, not by any means terrible yet misses the mark by "thaaat much". I like the 950 too but its specs don't match the performance we are seeing, blame this solely on the OS.

Have no real issues using iOS since the iPad Mini 4 is my go-to tablet, the iPhone on the other-hand just isn't "ME" so we've kept the switching part between Android and WM. If iPhone was our only choice we could easily adapt though.

If the day ever came where we were relegated to one device and one only, hands-down it'd be Android. But as with anything in the technology field that could easily change by tomorrow who knows, today that's my sediment.

Then there's the apps, last but not least. I liken it to my tool box at work, we have lots of speciality tools that rarely see use be when need, they are a godsend, lifesaver, or just plain nice to have because they made my job that mush easier. See apps as being no different. Wasn't much of an issue for me say, a year ago, but now WM and the app-gap is becoming quite concerning.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Moved to a different platform? That depends on which hour, day or week you ask me LOL.

In my arsenal of mobile phones we own and use on and off are: 830, 650, 950, LG G4, GS7 and iPhone 6. At any one given time two are active meaning, they have SIMs. Class myself as a habitual switcher :confused: so if something isn't to my liking, we're bored, need more, just wanting a change, a simple SIM swap rectifies that... Right now the two seeing daily use are 650 (our daily driver) and 950.

My experiences are the reversal of yours, WM has been the worst from my standpoint in that its consistency, fluidity of the OS, and overall functionality has paled in comparison to the other two. So why then am I using the 650/950? Love the ergonomics of the 650 when combined with case I have chosen, it's the "perfect fit" for me... Would have been awesome if this were the 950 instead. As for the 950, basically we're just testing it out because we can, camera plays a big role here so having at least one phone with an awesome shooter at the ready is a must. Then there's the OS, even though I'm not overly pleased with it during regular use it's unique UI keeps draws me back in, not to mention our needs 90% of the time can be sustained using it... All my phones are never too far away so being left without is not a concern.

So I did a comparison between my 950 and G4 since their specs are same/similar (CPU, GPU, RAM, screen res, etc etc), the G4 came out on top being smoother, more fluid, and with a greater amount of consistency. My only real gripe with the G4 is that it doesn't have that feel in-hand that suits me, not by any means terrible yet misses the mark by "thaaat much". I like the 950 too but its specs don't match the performance we are seeing, blame this solely on the OS.

Have no real issues using iOS since the iPad Mini 4 is my go-to tablet, the iPhone on the other-hand just isn't "ME" so we've kept the switching part between Android and WM. If iPhone was our only choice we could easily adapt though.

If the day ever came where we were relegated to one device and one only, hands-down it'd be Android. But as with anything in the technology field that could easily change by tomorrow who knows, today that's my sediment.

Then there's the apps, last but not least. I liken it to my tool box at work, we have lots of speciality tools that rarely see use be when need, they are a godsend, lifesaver, or just plain nice to have because they made my job that mush easier. See apps as being no different. Wasn't much of an issue for me say, a year ago, but now WM and the app-gap is becoming quite concerning.

I used to be like you! Would use multiple devices/OS's at one time. Liked certain things about each one so I couldn't settle on one or the other. Had a lot of fun doing it, it was a hobby really.
I guess I just got tired of it after a while. I was looking for the perfect device and, of course, I never found it. I had an 830 I played around with but it wasn't my go to device. When W10 came around I got more intrigued. Then I got a 950 and really liked it. It began to take over my collection. I liked the experience on my laptop too. I grew weary of switching all the time and decided to settle in on one platform that I felt gave me the best overall experience. I have to admit, I wasn't sure I was making the right decision as I sold off my arsenal of devices, but I've settled in nicely and love my Idol4S, SP4, and Dell laptop all with W10.
I like your toolbox analogy, though I have a slightly different twist on it. For me, I would never carry a toolbox around with me (too heavy) but I do carry around a Swiss army knife. If I need bigger tools I have them at home. Same with my phone. Though there may be very infrequent times I may wish I had a certain app on the go, it doesn't outweigh having a device with me I enjoy much, much more often. But that's the great thing about having choice, we all don't have to use the same device as our lives are different.
Enjoy your devices! I'm keeping my fingers crossed WM has some exciting times ahead.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I used to be like you! Would use multiple devices/OS's at one time. Liked certain things about each one so I couldn't settle on one or the other. Had a lot of fun doing it, it was a hobby really.
I guess I just got tired of it after a while. I was looking for the perfect device and, of course, I never found it. I had an 830 I played around with but it wasn't my go to device. When W10 came around I got more intrigued. Then I got a 950 and really liked it. It began to take over my collection. I liked the experience on my laptop too. I grew weary of switching all the time and decided to settle in on one platform that I felt gave me the best overall experience. I have to admit, I wasn't sure I was making the right decision as I sold off my arsenal of devices, but I've settled in nicely and love my Idol4S, SP4, and Dell laptop all with W10.
I like your toolbox analogy, though I have a slightly different twist on it. For me, I would never carry a toolbox around with me (too heavy) but I do carry around a Swiss army knife. If I need bigger tools I have them at home. Same with my phone. Though there may be very infrequent times I may wish I had a certain app on the go, it doesn't outweigh having a device with me I enjoy much, much more often. But that's the great thing about having choice, we all don't have to use the same device as our lives are different.
Enjoy your devices! I'm keeping my fingers crossed WM has some exciting times ahead.

Switching back and forth does have its drawbacks with you obviously being aware of that, I'm just too stubborn to change at the moment LOL. Nope never a perfect device, only one you're the most comfortable with.

In my household there are several desktops/laptops with the majority running the latest W10 production build, and we have one MacBook Pro as well. I'm graced with a few tablets too, Android, iOS and W10. Can get a bit complicated at times switching between the 18 plus (mobile included) devices with the thought having crossed my mind that we need to simplify, one day that'll happen. :wink:

I too hope there's bigger and better things to come for WM, just not so sure the present pace is doing the platform any favours. The app-gap has started to become concerning for me as well, been affected on multiple occasions in the past 2-3 weeks. :cry: Maybe someone will pull a rabbit out of their hat and all will be good. :cool:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Switching back and forth does have its drawbacks with you obviously being aware of that, I'm just too stubborn to change at the moment LOL. Nope never a perfect device, only one you're the most comfortable with.

In my household there are several desktops/laptops with the majority running the latest W10 production build, and we have one MacBook Pro as well. I'm graced with a few tablets too, Android, iOS and W10. Can get a bit complicated at times switching between the 18 plus (mobile included) devices with the thought having crossed my mind that we need to simplify, one day that'll happen. :wink:

I too hope there's bigger and better things to come for WM, just not so sure the present pace is doing the platform any favours. The app-gap has started to become concerning for me as well, been affected on multiple occasions in the past 2-3 weeks. :cry: Maybe someone will pull a rabbit out of their hat and all will be good. :cool:
Switching is nice but doing across 18 devices sounds busy. It's hard. Can't even imagine it.

Sent from mTalk

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
If the Surface line continues its success, I'm hoping that will bring apps that people want back, which will bring more people to the OS. Mobile will follow.
You do have to be patient to be using this platform. If you always need the latest app or fad, you're better off on Android or iPhone.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Switching is nice but doing across 18 devices sounds busy. It's hard. Can't even imagine it.

Sent from mTalk

I'll admit it's a wee bit over the top :wink:, fun though. The hardest part at times is keeping them all up-to-date - OS, apps/programs etc etc.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Sent from mTalk

If there was a universal way of syncing phone call logs and SMS messaging across all platforms it would be a slam dunk. I'd be switching on a daily basis depending on my workload for that day. I just hate carrying more than one device.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
If there was a universal way of syncing phone call logs and SMS messaging across all platforms it would be a slam dunk. I'd be switching on a daily basis depending on my workload for that day. I just hate carrying more than one device.

I refuse to carry more than one device, but I know people who do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion