Glance Screen Missing after Creators Update

PJL99

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
My AT&T 950XL updated automatically to OS build 10.0.15063.251. This was a regular update as I am not on any outsider ring. Now the glance screen does not appear. I checked the glance screen setting and it was set to turn the glance screen off when the screen is turned off. When I turn it one, the setting reverts back to off and the glance screen does not show.

Any advice?

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Is Battery saver on? That might turn Glance off but I don't think it should force the setting to off.

Your post makes it sound like you bought the phone from AT&T. I wasn't aware that AT&T ever sold the 950XL.

PJL99

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
Based on your battery saver question, I investigated further. Yes, battery saver is on, and prior to the update the glance screen worked correctly with battery saver on. Apparently now the glance screen does not show with battery saver on as it did before. I noticed that the only glance screen setting that shows with battery saver on is the on/off setting (which I mentioned reverts back to off) and no additional settings (Show Glance screen for, etc.) show when battery saver is turned on. With battery saver off, turning glance screen on reveals all of the expected additional settings and glance screen works.

This is a change from pre-Creators Update. It may have happened because I touched the battery saver and glance screen settings after the update. I have a second phone that has also updated and I have not touched any settings for glance screen or battery saver. When it's available I will check it to see if the glance screen is still working after the Creator Update.

Regarding my AT&T question, I wanted to indicate what my service provider was since (I believe) update pushes are controlled by the provider. You're correct that AT&T does not sell the 950XL, and in fact their system doesn't seem to be able to recognize it as such. My account shows both of our 950XLs and unknown devices, and I've worked many hours with AT&T to correct this. I gave up because they could never figure it out. But I digress...

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Regarding my AT&T question, I wanted to indicate what my service provider was since (I believe) update pushes are controlled by the provider.
Only if the carrier sold the phone and modified it to control that. Non-carrier Windows phones don't even need a SIM in them to be updated. We have numerous non-carrier backup phones and keep them updated over WiFi without sticking a SIM in them. And even carrier phones can get updates directly from Microsoft via the Insider program.

My account shows both of our 950XLs and unknown devices, and I've worked many hours with AT&T to correct this. I gave up because they could never figure it out.
Join the club. T-Mobile can't or won't fix that either.

PJL99

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
FYI after some browsing around the web I've found others that see the same thing -- no glance screen with power save on, a change with the Creator's Update.Microsoft, why did you muck this up?And I tried to use the Feedback Hub app and even with the diagnostics and usage data setting set to full (as prompted by the app) the app still tells me to enable enhanced or full and I can't send feedback. Grrrrrrrrrr.......discovered you have to allow the Feedback Hub app to run in the background. Double Grrrrrrr..... And there is lots of Feedback hub posts on this change.

Last edited:

PJL99

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
Windows 10 Mobile just updated today to build 10.0.15063.397. The ability to show the glance screen with battery saver enable is STILL missing. Come on Microsoft, give us the ability to make this decision ourselves!

rjp24

Jul 9, 2017
Visit site
Windows 10 Mobile just updated today to build 10.0.15063.397. The ability to show the glance screen with battery saver enable is STILL missing. Come on Microsoft, give us the ability to make this decision ourselves!

I didn't even know it was called a Glance screen! But following some research after it stopped working the other day, at least I now know what it's called!

My phone ( a Lumia 640) was updated to 10.0.15063.297 the other day and hey presto, no Glance screen. Turning off battery saver enables me to turn it back on but that seems like a poor solution. So Microsoft, fix this pretty please!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb