I had to ditch my 950XL to go back to Verizon - Should I sell my 950XL while I still can?

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Just a few weeks ago I'd never imagine getting rid of my WM Phone but it had to be done.
I've been on T-Mobile for the past few years and have suffered their awful connectivity here in Arizona (lots of no service when you leave the main city and inside buildings where Verizon still works just fine).
Now that Verizon has unlimited I wanted to go back. But neither my 950XL or my 1520 will work on their network.

So I finally gave in and got a Samsung S8+
The final decision was probably pushed by Windows Central's recent articles about taking an Android Phone and running almost exclusively Microsoft services on it.

Naturally the plus side of this is getting more apps and apps like Facebook that are more updated.
The bad part is missing my dedicated camera button.
The S8 can open the camera with a double press of the power button but you then need to use the onscreen buttons.
Several times I double clicked the power button to open the camera then I pressed the power button again to take a photo. Which of course just turns the screen off. I am so used to the Lumia camera button of the Lumia Icon / Lumia 1520 / Lumia 950XL I've been running for several years now.
Hopefully an update will allow the dedicated "Bixby" assistant button to be remapped for the camera.

So... what about my Lumia 950XL?
I could keep it to play with but I could sell it to recoup some of my money.
The longer I wait the less it will be worth.
It seems to sell for $250 and up on eBay.

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Oh, one feature I am missing badly, besides the camera button, is the Skype text message interface with the PC.
I loved being able to use SMS/MMS from my PC.

L0n3N1nja

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
If you want text message integration with your PC I recommend using Verizon Messages instead of the default message app from Samsung. You can get Verizon Messages on Android tablets, iPads, and Windows 10 devices. My phones messages are all synced with my Tab S2, Surface Pro 3, and my desktop.

Also I don't own a Samsung S8, but I have other Samsung phones including the S7, you can map the volume keys to take a photo. Not the same as a dedicated camera button, but it is an option.

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
The Verizon SMS app is in the phone. The Facebook messenger one asked to handle the SMS so I allowed it.

I didn't notice an option to use the volume key for a photo. Hmm... Maybe I will need to look again.

L0n3N1nja

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
For the camera, at least on the Note 5 and S7.
Open settings in camera app
Scroll almost all the way down
Click on Volume Key Function
Select take pictures.

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I finally put it up for sale tonight on Craigslist.
It sold within hours.
The guy said he hangs out on this forum. LOL

Glad that someone will get to enjoy it.
The S8+ has some cool new features and apps but there are some things that were still better on that 950XL

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss