Something has changed with my email

HarveyDanger

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

I am not an insider so I only have the publicly available updates. My 950XL updated sometime last week and something has changed with my email behavior.

I used to go a week managing my inboxes on the phone and then once a week I would download the messages from the respective servers onto my desktop computer. As soon as I did that, the messages in my linked inbox would disappear (since they were no longer out on the servers) but I would have the messages in my inbox on my desktop.

This weekend I downloaded the messages onto my desktop but when I refreshed my phone inbox the messages stayed in the Phone's inbox.

I don't know if this makes sense or not. I tried googling a solution but all the posts I saw were about deleting messages from the server when deleting on phone. My issue is actually different - I'm downloading off the server and I want them to delete on the phone to keep my view clean and only on new messages that are coming in.

Does that make sense? Am I missing a setting somewhere? I went through my accounts and can't readily find a setting that needs adjusting.

let me know.

Thanks!

HD

neutropia

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
I'm not an expert so I'll try to act as a stop-gap until one arrives! It sounds to me like your desktop e-mail program (or web service) may have had a change in settings. Is your desktop app using IMAP or POP to download messages? From what I gather, POP is what you want as that will remove the copies at your e-mail's server and your phones IMAP should remove them off your phone after that. I did look at my ISP's e-mail servers and it does mention to check for a setting called "Leave Messages on Server" so I can't help but wonder if that got turned on somehow.

Unfortunately I use IMAP so my phone and windows 10's mail to keep them synchronized so I can't be of too much assistance.

HarveyDanger

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
There is an option that wasn't there before called "Sync Options" and it lists Email under that and I have it turned 'on'. I thought that would be a real sync so they would disappear from phone when the messages are no longer on the server but it hasn't changed anything.

PJL99

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
I have seen the same behavior described by the OP. This behavior is a change since a recent update to the Outlook mail app. Microsoft strikes again! Grrrrrrr...

olewinhack

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the exact same problem. It just started recently. My phone is using IMAP to talk to my email server, but I use Eudora to download all my messages every night.

I can confirm that they are no longer there using web mail interfaces, but for my first account (I have 5 mailboxes monitored on my phone) it continues to believe the messages are there after I've downloaded and deleted them from the server. I ask it to to explicitly sync, and it does something, says "up-to-date", and continues to show the old messages. If they were only partially loaded, attempting to pull the rest of the message just spins for awhile. Nothing gets displayed, and no error results.

I finally gave up and do a Select All and delete the messages from my phone immediately after downloading.

olewinhack

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I have a theory: I think the update removed the explicit IMAP protocol setting, and the mail client has reverted to POP behavior. That is, it downloads and saves messages locally until you delete them or the age policy kicks in. I get inconsistent behavior from different email servers.

Anyways, the fix seems to be; to get IMAP behavior again, you must now edit your account add the IMAP port to the mail server URL. eg: Incoming email server: mail.hover.com:933 (for IMAP with SSL)

I deleted my account and tried to reconfigure it for IMAP and noticed that that is not a setting anymore. The only way to get IMAP is to put the port number on the server name spec.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05