Lumia 950 missing FM radio?

arislgr

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I reinstalled FM Radio and I tried running it with the USB cable as I dont have a headset cable. It did ask me to run with the screen locked and I accepted, then it ran an advertisement :)angry:???). After that just a black screen, nothing. Could it be that it works only with a headset cable?

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Of course you need a headset, which would act as antenna. Even the stock app will refuse to work without headset. Once headset is connected you can listen to the radio through the speaker, but headset is required as an antenna.

Pavel Penkava

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
Well probably all Lumia 950 from European distribution comes with FM radio built-in, but the problem is that it is disabled by default, so even third party applications cannot see it. Fortunately there is a solution - it requires PC with installed "Windows Phone SDK 8.1 Lite", "RootTool.xap" application and phone registry edit...
http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...-backup-pinned-fm-radio-tile.html#post3389138 (you don't need "Windows Phone SDK 8.0 Lite" or "Windows SDK for Windows 8.1", you only need "Windows Phone SDK 8.1 Lite")

Harry Niemeijer

Jun 26, 2016
Visit site
No as I said, third party apps won't work on European 950 devices. fmradio for instance says device is not supported. It seems that the tuner is not even enabled by firmware.

My MVP friend states it's the OS which disables the radio on ALL 950. But I guess the difference between US and EU 950 is the firmware. As FM tuner is embedded on the 808 chipset, it's not a matter of RF bands (as for LTE etc.).

French (and maybe) 950 and XL are supposed to receive a new firmware tomorrow more or less (source MVP). Reboots will be fixed etc. but I hope that at least it enables the FM tuner, if not for the stock app, at least for third parties, like in the US.

Because if MS think FM tuner is good enough in the US (enabling third party apps), then it should be OK in the EU as well, FM radio is the same worldwide.

Hey guys,

Figured this out just yet. I have an EU model Lumia 950 (Netherlands) and my FM also was disabled. I followed an instruction, but only with an addition it worked. I will outline the addition further on. Here is the instruction: http://techfaqs.net/smartphone/how-to-activate-radio-on-lumia-950/ (focus on method 1). In short: 1. Download Interop Tool app (http://m.windowscentral.com/interop-tools-windows-10-mobile). 2. Open app (via Extra in Configuration menu). 3. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/FMRadio/OEM. Change string NotPresent to: '0'. 4. Reboot device and install third party app. I've installed FM Radio from Astute Dev.

If you have difficulty reaching the FMRadio folder by choosing Registry browser in Interop Tool, please select Registry editor first, select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and type in the aforementioned path from Software to OEM, and fill in NotPresent as the desired string. Press Read and try again to reach this string via Registry browser. This should work now.

The addition I used to the method 1 is to change NotPresent string to 'dword:00000000' and not to 0 as stated in the method 1 instruction. I had replaced the dword string NotPresent by a simple string with the same name earlier on, thus had to add something to the variable to make Windows interpret it as a dword string again. If yours is a dword still (lookup with Registry browser), you could be good with simply changing the 1 into a 0.

Kind regards.

Last edited:

OnSr

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
Just made an account to thank you :) I can now freely listen to the radio on my Lumia 950, thanks friend :winktongue:

TheEdge76

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
Sorry for the thread bump. How can I find out where my new Lumia 950 is from? Australia? Europe? Does it even have the radio ability?
I tried the steps above but came unstuck at step 2 - opening the app. I could only open it in my web browser (Edge, which wasn't available) or the Mega browser.
Any help greatly appreciated as I use the radio on my existing 930 every day...thanks :)

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Take off the back cover and note the RM number, then identify it HERE

I think that since AU update, you have to use new version of Interop Tool app with all Dependencies for it to work.
HERE is the newest version of Interop Tools app. Uninstall old version before installing new one.

Last edited:

TheEdge76

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
Okay, it's a 059X5K0 RM-1104 VAR APAC AU OPTUS
So would the app you mention work for me? Is it the same steps as outlined by Harry Niemeijer? Sorry for the newbie question...I'm not 100% sure on how to get this to work. I guess I'm just used to a radio working on the phone :(

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
It will work only if your RM version has FM radio built in, but disabled via OS/software. I only know that European versions have FM radio built in, and they can be enabled by explained procedure

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
The radio is built in. If your carrier's version has disabled it then editing the registry to enable it (with Interop tools as mentioned) will fix it. It worked for me.

TheEdge76

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
Okay, but that sounds like it contradicts some of the earlier information in this thread.

I just want to do whatever I need to my phone, turn on the radio, and it works. Why do MS make this so hard :crying:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos