So the Lumia 950 will be "LOCKED" to AT&T?

wariscoming

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I see the 950XL Unlocked currently up for pre-sale on the MS Store but where is the 950? I don't want a phablet ... I want the smaller 950 to use on T-Mobile... will that be possible or will ALL 950s be locked to AT&T?
:unhappy:

ArtificiallyYours

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
It will be sold unlocked, what you're looking at is what the current carrier is. See, using the word 'Exclusive' needs a 'in some areas' because that can take a lot of people for a spin. Not just those paid to spread FUD :p

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
WC has an article up now saying the 950 will be sold exclusively by ATT in the US.

Now that is some kind of messed up. I can't believe MS won't sell an unlocked version.

Link Kadeshi

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I agree with Guytronic. Also, I believe that the "exclusive" to AT&T is most likely just saying no other carrier will have their version. Not a huge shock, though. Verizon never cared much, T-Mobile seemed more interested in theory, and Sprint is pretty much a non-starter (At least I can't remember anything Windows Phone with them). It appears to have been said in multiple spots to expect an unlocked variant through MS' store. Not to mention that the pre-orders were technically set for October 7th. We might see the ability to buy later.

Chomiq

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
It means that you'll only be able to get it on contract with ATT. Unlocked is still available for full retail price at MS.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Then why does the MS store only show the 950XL on their site?
That is not proof of anything other than the 950 not being available for pre-order yet. If they had the 950 listed as an AT&T phone in their store, but not unlocked, I'd say you might be onto something. As it stands, the only Lumia's currently with an AT&T version are 635, 640, 640 XL, and 830.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
AT&T had to have their version with their logo on the back cover, and probably gimped/bloated firmware in it as well that can't be unbranded. You buy AT&T version in AT&T store, don't come here complaining when it doesn't work right on some other carrier. :)

yetanotherguy

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
@ poit57 ... that logic is plausible, but improbable... given that Lumia 950 is up on MS' UK store.... Buy Microsoft Lumia 950 ? Unlocked - Microsoft Store United Kingdom Online Store ... and I think it is unlikely that they will release it for UK first and then later US.... something tells me there is going to be a AT&T version, though may not be exclusive... selling unlocked is likely not going to happen at release... :(

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
WC has a statement from MS that says the 950, to date, has been announced through ATT and unlocked through MS.

I think that's our answer.

For me, I'll see what ATT pricing is. If it's substantially cheaper, I'll buy it there. If it's 95% MS unlocked price, there is no reason to fool with ATT.

ninny1176

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Sadly - with only AT&T selling the 950 and VZW not showing any interest in carrying these phones, or at least one of them, they're as good as dead - in the US at least.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Sadly - with only AT&T selling the 950 and VZW not showing any interest in carrying these phones, or at least one of them, they're as good as dead - in the US at least.

You do know that MS is selling them?

As for VZ, I know a lot of you guys are fond of them, BUT - if you are going to sign onto service with one of the few carriers in the world using that technology, well, you should expect your choices to be limited.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
You do know that MS is selling them?

As for VZ, I know a lot of you guys are fond of them, BUT - if you are going to sign onto service with one of the few carriers in the world using that technology, well, you should expect your choices to be limited.
The device options on Verizon are only limited if a customer wants Windows Phone or BlackBerry. Verizon offers iPhones and all of the flagship devices from Android OEMs (Samsung, LG, HTC).

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
AT&T had to have their version with their logo on the back cover, and probably gimped/bloated firmware in it as well that can't be unbranded. You buy AT&T version in AT&T store, don't come here complaining when it doesn't work right on some other carrier. :)

Once off contract it can be unlocked and used with anyone.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Once off contract it can be unlocked and used with anyone.

I wouldn't trust any of the US carriers even if I was paid a zillion in gold.
You would be wise to do the same as there have been countless instances of carrier dodgyness with phones and this is not new either. For instance the FM radio in certain TP2s were locked in the firmware, FFC removed, button layout changed etc.

People are better of buying from Microsoft directly in the US and not to mention they will get better customer service as opposed trying to pry phones out off rep's hands - who is keen to sell what he or she wants, not what the customer wants.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
So the Lumia 950 will be "LOCKED" to AT&T?

The device options on Verizon are only limited if a customer wants Windows Phone or BlackBerry. Verizon offers iPhones and all of the flagship devices from Android OEMs (Samsung, LG, HTC).

Yes, this problem is unique to those who use Windows Phone and BlackBerry. It is not applicable for 97% of smartphone users.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism