930 Vs 950 Processors

dibsbibs

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I know a tad about processors but would love some answers from people who know more than I do :) I'm liking the sound of the Snapdragon 808 in the 950 with the liquid cooling system (shouldn't have the same problems as the 930 [I own one] hopefully) and the ability to run Continuum. Also like the fact it's a hexa core instead of a quad core.

One area I've noticed the 950 is worse off compared to the 930 is processor speed. These stats are from memory so correct me if I'm wrong but the 930's processor is clocked at 2.2 GHz whereas the 808 is clocked at 1.8 GHz.

It's an 0.4 GHz difference and I was wondering if that difference would be a weakness for the 950 compared to the 930. I know that less cores allows a higher processing speed but does the two extra cores allow for generally better processor performance despite the 0.4 GHz drop in processor speed? My other questions are what does a high clock speed/high amount of cores allow a device to do and does the 808 use more energy than the 930's processor?

Thanks for reading!

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
To be honest, it's too early to say how the 808 will perform on the 950 as it's really not comparable to other phones. The liquid cooling just puts it a different ball park entirely as pretty much all phones use the conventional method of the copper strip and passive cooling.

If anything the 808 should destroy the 800 in performance comparisons (I would be shocked if that was not the case). As it should be able to maintain peak performance for longer without throttling. Whereas the 930 will start to throttle heavily as it nears the higher operating temperatures (same with most phones).

I'm hoping Anandtech or someone does in depth testing + analysis on the performance of the 950 and XL.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Clock speed hasn't really mattered since the Pentium days. There's much more to performance, especially when you're comparing smartphone processors. Apple's processors are superficially unimpressive when you compare clock speed; the iPhone 6s features a 1.8Ghz dual core CPU. And yet it consistently outperforms most competition. Where performance tends to matter most is gaming anyway, and there the GPU is a much bigger factor.

As for the Snapdragon 808/810, they aren't even typically stacked up against the older 800. That said, you don't need to wait for the 950 to hit the market. Just look up Android devices already running those processors, like the HTC One series, and compare benchmarks.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Clock speed hasn't really mattered since the Pentium days. There's much more to performance, especially when you're comparing smartphone processors. Apple's processors are superficially unimpressive when you compare clock speed; the iPhone 6s features a 1.8Ghz dual core CPU. And yet it consistently outperforms most competition. Where performance tends to matter most is gaming anyway, and there the GPU is a much bigger factor.

As for the Snapdragon 808/810, they aren't even typically stacked up against the older 800. That said, you don't need to wait for the 950 to hit the market. Just look up Android devices already running those processors, like the HTC One series, and compare benchmarks.

This. I always hate it when people ask for clock speeds in GHz. Then they come back and return a computer cause it's too slow. Well obviously the 2.66 GHz Intel Celeron is WAY slower and doesn't beat out an Intel Core i5 processor. It's like people think I make this stuff up.

arjan wolthuis

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
This. I always hate it when people ask for clock speeds in GHz. Then they come back and return a computer cause it's too slow. Well obviously the 2.66 GHz Intel Celeron is WAY slower and doesn't beat out an Intel Core i5 processor. It's like people think I make this stuff up.

I agree

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
For the record, the 950 is not liquid cooled only the 950xl because it's using the snapdragon 810. The 808 doesn't throttle as much so no liquid cooling for the 950

Checkoff

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
who cares if they are liquid cooled or not. If they stay cool, it?s fine, no matter how they get cooled down.
The 810 is getting very hot so it needs special cooling systems, the 808 seems to work normal as every other mobile cpu, so it doesnt need any fancy cooling system?
Its not a great extra feature, it?s just a neccessary solution!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes