Will an unlocked dual-sim 950 work on AT&T?

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
OK, the title is a play on the never ending thread about unlocked 950/950XL working on Verizon.

What I'm really curious about is the unlocked dual-sim 950 from the Microsoft Store and whether or not it will be COMPLETELY compatible on AT&T, including things like visual voicemail and their future WiFi calling. Also, if it will be available in the US MS Store, or if the international version will be the same. A lot of "ifs" I know.

Does anyone have an educated idea or possibly some linked data?

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Will an unlocked dual-sim 950 work on AT&T?

I have no idea, but I blame MS!

Thought I'd play along...

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
My guess is that the phone will work, maybe even Visual Voicemail, but I doubt Wi-Fi calling will work on it. Not sure about availability though, either.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
My biggest concern right now I'd availability. For instance, will the dual-sim 950 be available on the MS Store and if not, how easy will it be to get an international model from some how else - how much will it be and how long will it take to get.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
My biggest concern right now I'd availability. For instance, will the dual-sim 950 be available on the MS Store and if not, how easy will it be to get an international model from some how else - how much will it be and how long will it take to get.

According to Peter Bright at Ars Technica the L950 will not immediately be available in MS stores. For how long ATT will remain the only distribution channel in the U.S. isn't mentioned. It's a crying shame MS is still making these exclusivity deals with carriers, even if they are temporally limited. :-/

This is where I get my devices, and they usually have them at about the same time they start selling anywhere else in the world (so sometime in November):

https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/product/microsoft-lumia-950-520-32gb-black-mobile-phones-5628208

I suspect you can subtract 8% from the price as it includes Swiss VAT, but it will still be expensive compared to U.S. prices. Digitec are however very big, quick and reliable, and apparently they also ship to the U.S.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Ouch. Before shipping (which I assume would be astronomical), the 950 would be about $630. So probably $700 or more.

Thanks for the info.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Will an unlocked dual-sim 950 work on AT&T?

Ouch. Before shipping (which I assume would be astronomical), the 950 would be about $630. So probably $700 or more.

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I realize that's not great. Think of that only as proof that you could immediately (and safely / reliably) import the devices that way.

I suspect you could do much better ordering directly from China or maybe Hong Kong. That's what I'd look for in your situation, but I'm not going to post links to or recommend online retailers I've never used myself or even heard of before.

Maybe someone from that region can help out with a recommendation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99