Lumia 950 Bugs + Defects

mkenyon2

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
So far (2nd day with this phone) here are my issues:

2nd Outlook account won't connect
Hello won't let me re-set up the settings
Candy Crush won't connect to Facebook (very minor issue)

johnnyrussoa3

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I disabled that immediately it made no change aside from it not taking living images. That only controls whether or not you'll also get that short video like thing in your preview.

You need to disable rich capture. When you open up the camera, it's the icon with the wand. Turn that off and you'll be set. It's good if your taking pictures of a stationary object in bright lighting though.

jmf54321

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
So something that may be causing runs on battery's. In 8.1 if you "backed" out of an app it closed it. If you had several apps open hitting the back arrow would cycle you through all open apps and close them. I've noticed this isnt the case on WM10. You have to go to "task manager" and manually X each one closed. Major gaffe on their part. If Im in an app, lets say Mail or SMS going back out of it to start screen should close it. Not the case.

Just something Ive noticed.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
So something that may be causing runs on battery's. In 8.1 if you "backed" out of an app it closed it. If you had several apps open hitting the back arrow would cycle you through all open apps and close them. I've noticed this isnt the case on WM10. You have to go to "task manager" and manually X each one closed. Major gaffe on their part. If Im in an app, lets say Mail or SMS going back out of it to start screen should close it. Not the case.

Just something Ive noticed.

Try this then... close all your open apps using the task manager AND then hit the back arrows....You'll see you can cycle through apps that weren't in the task manager, but were opened earlier. It's awesome to see I can jump into previously opened apps almost instantly, BUT IF I want to close everything, it;s a but longer to do.

Albatross2

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I've had at least 4 apps that I successfully ran after installing (to phone memory not SD) where a later attempt to launch fails with an error message to check for an update of the app in the store. There is never an update, and the only way to get it working again is to uninstall and reinstall the app. Specific apps that I can recall are Waze, TuneIn, and iHeartRadio. It's a big letdown when an app just quits working with no good reason. Anyone else having this issue?

950 Dual Sim Unlocked built fresh with no restore.

GregCra

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Anyone that calls me complains of call quality. They complain that they can hear their own voice and everything going on in the background. It sounds fine to me on my end but audio being sent from my phone is horrible. Toggling the call on and off hold or calling them back usually fixes the issue. Right now i'm stuck toggling everyone that calls me on and off hold.

I am told by one person that this is happening. Next time they call i'll try your 'hold' trick and see if that works. I also wonder if he is on ATT like I am as other callers (who I know are on ATT) are not complaining of this.

UPDATE: I called ATT about the problem.. first they said 1) delete the user, 2) reboot, 3) add the user and see if that fixes it.. it did not. Then they tried a bunch of stuff on their end, having me reboot the phone ..and nothing seemed to help. Now they tell me to get a new one. I'll do that today. I can reproduce the problem with my son.. so i'll test at the store before I leave and update y'all if I get one that works properly.

Last edited:

IsraelDuran

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
You need to disable rich capture. When you open up the camera, it's the icon with the wand. Turn that off and you'll be set. It's good if your taking pictures of a stationary object in bright lighting though.
I immediately disabled that as well, the reality is that regardless of how I take a photo the phone automatically "auto adjusts" them and they look either not as intended or completely horrid

DoyoubiNoAme

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Too lazy to read whole thread. Can anyone summarize? Are those software or hardware issues you are getting?
As previous owner of 930, I had tons of issues with it, but patches and updates fixed them later on. Should we expect this happen to 950-s and all win 10 devices? (obviously yes, i think)

IsraelDuran

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Update: Heat issues and battery drain have gotten much worse I was browsing on 6tag and uploaded one photo lost 14% in about 10-15 minutes and the device is hotter than usual (which isn't saying much because it's always hot)

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Too lazy to read whole thread. Can anyone summarize? Are those software or hardware issues you are getting?
As previous owner of 930, I had tons of issues with it, but patches and updates fixed them later on. Should we expect this happen to 950-s and all win 10 devices? (obviously yes, i think)
not everyone is having the exact same issue. Since it is a new version of an OS, we SHOULD expect the same amount of issues as every other OS has had after a major revision. Granted, I will say most issues seem software related. Had mine for 2 weeks now and things seem to be stabilizing more. I do notice certain apps a battery killers though, leading me to thing that possibly the app or OS could use a bit of tweaking.

So far, Windows Phone 7 apps/games and certain Windows Phone 8 apps seem to be causing my 950 to chew up the battery. Tapatalk, on my phone, can eat 38% of the battery in 3 hours if I open it and then just tap home and don't close it out.

Makepi

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
I had to go back to factory settings, and when it rebooted I got a so so familiar Blue Screen...

BitLocker recovery
To recover this drive, plug in the USB Drive that has the BitLocker Recovery key.
Bitlocker needs your recovery key to unlock your drive because the trusted platform module is not accessible.

Press Enter to reboot and try again
Press ESC or the Windows key for more recovery options

Any ideas what to do? I'm unable to do a hard reset. When holding down the Volume Down button, it just keeps looping between Microsoft Logo and a black screen with vibration. I never get to the Exclamation (!) mark screen.
All help is more than welcome..

Bri D

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I disabled that immediately it made no change aside from it not taking living images. That only controls whether or not you'll also get that short video like thing in your preview.

USELESSROBOT is incorrect. The live images feature is basically a GIF. The feature to keep from retouching images is called Rich Capture. There's a little wand in the auto mode of the camera app. Just touch it to disable. Note: The Rich capture wand disappears if you expand the settings and go into Pro mode.

Here's an article about Rich Capture from our favorite website :D: A closer look at Rich Capture, the best feature on Lumia Camera | Windows Central

emze7-10

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I've had my 950 DUAL SIM Unlocked from Microsoft Store for about 3 days now.
Hardware is great, but I really miss the fluid OS of 8.1.
I'll stick with the 950 for a while and get used to it, since I've endured WP since my LG Quantum days of WP7 and see what happens.

A few things that are irritating.
1. The dual SIM phone always shows SIM2 is missing on the top of the screen beside my data coverage bars, wifi, and notifications.
2. Holding the back arrow brings up the app list in the background. On my 1020 I could close them as fast as I could swipe down. Now it half hesitates and pauses when I swipe down. WP10 OS bug or hardware?
3. I can search for images in edge browser, and tap a photo and save it to phone. However, if that search is initiated with Cortana, I cannot click on the photos and save them. Both edge and cortana use bing and show the bing browser on my screen, which seems ugly to me. I always initiate a search by hitting the magnifying glass at the bottom of the screen, so whenever I want to find an image, I either have to go to edge browser, or use cortana and click open source, which then opens edge, then FINALLY I can save the image to my phone.

Maybe I am just missing some settings, but could someone else confirm I am not the only one with these issues?
Thanks!

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
USELESSROBOT is incorrect. The live images feature is basically a GIF. The feature to keep from retouching images is called Rich Capture.

You're right, I confused the two features. In any case, I shoot photos with both turned off. My point with Rich Capture stands; it's interesting, but I haven't yet found that it improves photos for me. And my impression is that new shots show up a bit more quickly in Photos.

obakir

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
It may have been covered before but the filtering option in people app is buggy. I'm excluding twitter contacts from the list and only showing contacts with phone numbers but it is still listing my twitter contacts (news agencies) with no phone numbers! I really don't want to hard reset and spend hours to install the apps again :(

Also outlook is not showing the images even if I say download images automatically. Mails still show download images link at the very end. somehow it always says 41.1kb next to it. Then I click and the image place holders all say the image link is broken.

And also when you select e-mails to delete the left most button at the bottom bar is different for Outlook and Google accounts. For outlook it is a delete button. For Google it is an "archive" button and the delete button is listed as the second button. It is really confusing when you quickly going through your emails to delete unneeded emails.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)