Lumia 950 Bugs + Defects

Adretheon

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
The major bug right now is with my Camera/Photos apps and Windows Hello (which very much is in beta, I know).

I'll record a 4K video and play it back. The playback has a highly noticeable line across the video that looks like it divides the screen into separate white balance settings. The top half is hazy and yellow, the bottom remains fine. I'll lock and unlock the phone (sometimes it take two or three times). When I get back to the Photos app, the line disappears... but iris scanning for Windows Hello no longer functions.

It feels like these are linked bugs, but I can't say for certain. It does not occur with recording video resolutions less than 4K, but it does occur at all framerates for 4K.

Same here. I'm glad you mentioned it going away, cause I was pretty peeved. It's not there in the photos app, but it does show up in the camera app.

ChemEngr

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Well, my new 950 (which arrived at lunch time) is going to be winging it's way back to AT&T as soon as my warranty replacement one shows up. Hopefully the replacement will arrive tomorrow, since I will be out of the country all of next week.
Basically, the internal phone speaker does not work. On a phone call, the other person can hear me okay, but I cannot hear the other person. If I put them on speaker phone, their voice comes through the external speaker. So seems to be a hardware issue specific to my phone's internal speaker.
Well, if I don't get my replacement by tomorrow, I guess I'm just going to have very public phone calls all of next week.

could be the headphone jack is stuck. try plugging/unplugging a headset a few times. this does happen on occasion.

casab1anca

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
No show-stoppers yet, just little annoying bugs. I have the same error as everyone else with updating the Lumia apps. Several of the built-in apps (settings, messaging, mail) have crashed on me at least once.

RuleOfSines

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
The major bug right now is with my Camera/Photos apps and Windows Hello (which very much is in beta, I know).

I'll record a 4K video and play it back. The playback has a highly noticeable line across the video that looks like it divides the screen into separate white balance settings. The top half is hazy and yellow, the bottom remains fine.

I've noticed this in mine as well, happy though that so far all the issues I've seen appear to be purely software. For example, the photo gallery still gets confused as to whether I'm in landscape or portrait mode.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
I've noticed this in mine as well, happy though that so far all the issues I've seen appear to be purely software. For example, the photo gallery still gets confused as to whether I'm in landscape or portrait mode.

Mine too, everything else works perfectly on the camera. Stupid line, hopefully it's software and not hardware.

RuleOfSines

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Mine too, everything else works perfectly on the camera. Stupid line, hopefully it's software and not hardware.

So this is interesting, last 4k video I took was at about the time I posted. I went back into Photos, played the video, and the line is gone. The whole video is sharp now, as if the issue is just a post-processing thing and the video data itself is fine.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
So this is interesting, last 4k video I took was at about the time I posted. I went back into Photos, played the video, and the line is gone. The whole video is sharp now, as if the issue is just a post-processing thing and the video data itself is fine.

Confirmed, worked for me. I took a 4k video and it had the line, I waited like 10 minutes and thrn opened the photo app and played it. The line was gone.

Adretheon

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

Oddly enough, earlier I was going through the videos I took last night and noticed the line. However just now I looked at them again and it's fixed. It seems like you need to watch your video first before then line goes away. (On a side note the Audio is amazing. Was about 2 feet from a speaker(and the sax player) and the sound still came out really good for the sax)

RuleOfSines

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm noticing my glance screen seems to stay stationary in a single spot on the screen, shouldn't it cycle around to prevent burn on amoled screens or is that not an issue here? I've turned down to just the 30s mode for the time being.

MBHunt

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
My 950 will not ring or vibrate when receiving incoming calls. It will ding for incoming texts fine. Internal and external speakers are working find.

I've tried restarting, removing the battery, removing the SIM. Am I missing something?

Cody Johnson ET

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
My Lumia 950 has arrows coming from the cellular and wifi logos all day as if it is constantly transmitting data. I'm not sure why that is. My battery life is also pretty awful, especially for a new phone, which may have something to do with the data transmission. It's a bit sluggish when sending texts, as well. I've looked at my background tasks and shut a lot of them off. Maybe there are some key tasks I need to turn off?? I'm not sure but I lost 5% battery life in the few minutes I took to write this.

deezus

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
So, I'm having battery drain issues today. I also noticed WiFi(5g) going in and out and then not even detecting any WiFi, so I restarted and then it worked fine. I also noticed that when windows hello was on , I could bypass login by swiping up on screen. Another thing that happened was I checked the store for updates and it had over 20 of them I hit update then phone showed the same updates again! I'm sure these issues will be fixed because overall I like the phone a lot. I'm going to turn off windows hello and ill report back to see if that is the issue for me.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
I don't know if this is the right section, mods feel free to move it if need be.

I really like this phone, except for one big issue that might make me return it. Edge. I hate this browser with a passion. Nothing seems to work right and the lag is driving me crazy. I click on a link and it highlights it grey but nothing happens. So I click it again, nothing happens. This happens with almost all links and clickable objects. Sometimes it works, but it takes a good 30 seconds for the browser to start loading the page. It's completely unusable to me and has me seriously considering getting rid of this phone.

Does anyone have any tips to help Edge work better? I'm almost at my wits end here and I really like almost everything else about the phone.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
My 950 will not ring or vibrate when receiving incoming calls. It will ding for incoming texts fine. Internal and external speakers are working find.

I've tried restarting, removing the battery, removing the SIM. Am I missing something?

i had the same issue..... notification sounds for email are in the email settings now, and has to be done per account.

open outlook, tap the ... at the bottom right, choose settings and then options.
at the bottom you will see the notification settings.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm not experiencing that with links on Edge.

Maybe make sure your in mobile and not desktop mode.

I've tried both and it doesn't change anything. I have yo use my m8 for Windows central to post here because Edge can't load anything.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Just got the new Windows Central app and it's working great. One problem solved I guess, although anything else I need to do on Edge is still going to be painful. One by one it seems all of my problems with this phone are being resolved/worked around. I'm happier for now, definitely leaning towards keeping this device.

awneze

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure there is somethign wrong with my Lumia 950 5Ghz Wifi....I was waiting for my pictures to upload to onedrive, but noticed my WiFi icon kept disappearing. When I went into WiFi settings it kept saying "no networks found." This happened about 3 separate times, and always after i had already added a 5Ghz network. Doing a soft reset would fix the problem temporarily, only for the same issue to happen again.

I had this exact same issue when I connected my 950 the first time. I have a DIR-880L AC router. Anytime my 950 connected to the router my router actually would reboot (like a quick on and off).
So I checked for updates on my router and there was an update,after updating the firmware on the AC router everything works fine now!

awneze

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia 950 has arrows coming from the cellular and wifi logos all day as if it is constantly transmitting data. I'm not sure why that is. My battery life is also pretty awful, especially for a new phone, which may have something to do with the data transmission. It's a bit sluggish when sending texts, as well. I've looked at my background tasks and shut a lot of them off. Maybe there are some key tasks I need to turn off?? I'm not sure but I lost 5% battery life in the few minutes I took to write this.

Go to setting, search for "background apps" and then try and turn off some background apps from running and see if there's a difference in batt life. It could also help with the constant data transmissions

awneze

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
A few issues to report...
1. Battery life sucks, though I'm still running tests to get when it works best.
2. Microsoft Hello is hit or miss 50/50. also if someone else is within range it fails.
3. Touch acts weird sometimes, when I swipe down on the start screen, it swipes to the left instead (to the app list). Also when I tried attaching a pic to twitter, it takes me to the photo gallery but when I touch a pic, it selects another pic like 2 rows above. So basically when I touch a point on the screen, it registers it somewhere else, almost like it's not calibrated. These have happened just once. Will keep monitoring.
4. Games that require Facebook login (like candy crush, star wars) when you log in with Facebook, it takes you to edge browser to authorize the app and after u do, it doesn't go back to the app!
5. Lastly, custom ringtones! I have tried to add mp3 ringtones using either the file explorer or from my PC. But they still don't show up in the ringtones list to choose from.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99