[Quick Impressions] Who Has Gotten The Lumia 950?

Status
Not open for further replies.

casab1anca

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Got the 950 at the AT&T store this morning and so far it's working better than I expected (after reading all the doom and gloom for several weeks now). Yes, the phone is made of plastic, but otherwise the hardware is great and everything runs smoothly. Built-in apps still crash occasionally but I'm sure these will be fixed by updates.

The camera is excellent and very sharp even indoors, definitely better than the iPhone 6S and miles ahead of my old 920. Touch response seems a bit finicky compared to my 920, not sure what to attribute this to. But overall, I've not had any major issues yet.

n7slc

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Got the 950 at the AT&T store this morning and so far it's working better than I expected (after reading all the doom and gloom for several weeks now). Yes, the phone is made of plastic, but otherwise the hardware is great and everything runs smoothly. Built-in apps still crash occasionally but I'm sure these will be fixed by updates.

The camera is excellent and very sharp even indoors, definitely better than the iPhone 6S and miles ahead of my old 920. Touch response seems a bit finicky compared to my 920, not sure what to attribute this to. But overall, I've not had any major issues yet.

I got mine this morning and I'm quoting casab1anca's post since this is my first impression as well.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Lucky, I just reset my phone and I get nagged for a pin every time.

did you activate the sim that cam with it or are using an already active sim?? grasping at straws here, since it seems to work fine for some, like me, and not for others, like you.

regi7

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I actually like the feel of the back of the phone and how it looks. Go figure. I got nervous when I heard bad reports, but I like this phone overall. It does get warm when charging and using it a lot and it seems to discharge quickly. I hope this corrects over the next few days with less downloads.

zeke009

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
did you activate the sim that cam with it or are using an already active sim?? grasping at straws here, since it seems to work fine for some, like me, and not for others, like you.
sim was activated by AT&T on Wednesday when this was received. I will reset with WDRT once available.

donaldvc

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
A phone with a 3000mah batter should last longer than a day. The Droid Maxx phones have 3000mah batteries and last like 3 days!! This is madness!!
Real-world comparison: I have an LG G4 (bought as an interim until the 950 XL is available): really good phone with excellent screen and camera. It runs on a SnapDragon 808 like the 950 and has a 3000mah battery. I use it in exactly the same way as its predecessor (a Lumia 640): 1 hour wireless hotspot, 2-3 hours music/audiobook, emails, text, 2 hours web browsing, occasional gaming and a handful of photos. In other words, medium usage. The Lumia 640 almost always managed a full day, but I need to charge the G4 during the day 80% of the time.

So, read individual claims about battery life (mine as well as Dan the Man's) with caution.

The 950 sounds as though it has good battery life for its processor and screen, but if you are concerned before buying, check again on the forum and with friends in two weeks when the battery has settled and there is not a crazy number of background app updates.

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
How do you know the majority of the people that have bought it are happy with it? Do you know how many have even been sold and/or activated? And have you talked to every owner to find out if they're happy? It could be that 99.5% of the users are happy with it or it could be that .5% of users are happy with it. No way to really know for sure. I'd venture it's the other way around, but that's just a guess. It could just be that the unhappy people are more vocal.

Okay, I can't know for sure, but it's just my impression from reading tons of user-reviews in forums.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I would prefer not to see you go, change carriers before windows mobile in my opinion.

That's what I was thinking of doing but not just for this phone. I'll stick with my Icon and wait for windows 10 to be released and see what happens during that time, like any surprises.

LA6507a

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. I have 45GB free but I'll try changing my location from SD to internal memory to see if that fixes the issue.

lupinesithlord

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to be picking one of these up, my 920 is long in the tooth. I'm waxing back n forth on which one...keep strong. (I used to be a new phone 1st opportunity kind of guy, Ive had my 920 since launch...)

Dragon Queen

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
So I have A 920 running 8.1 preview, Got a 635 to do win10 testing on, got the 950 yesterday morning. So the 635 had its own back up so never looked quite like my 920 for the screen, did a restore on the 950 from the 920 back up. Over 200 downloads and updates, but the screen set up exactly like my 920, weird thing is the individual contacts I have pinned are square, which is a 8.1 thing not 10. So 10 on the 950 is much smoother than 635 closer to 8.1 smooth, messaging and couple other apps have crashed, but 2nd time going in still is almost as fast as my 920. So did a quick test between the 3 on audio external speaker and headphones. Loudest external is the 635, then 920, then 950(eq setting for external speakers yippee) by a little- all at 15 didn't do a max for distortion. Headphones all at the same number setting for all 3, bass boost on the 920 and 950, sound comparable. You turn the Dolby on the 920 and it beats the other 2 much nicer. Skull Candy headphones in ear. The screen reaction times for brightness seem to be a little slower on the 950, how ever the 950 is white, 920 has a yellow tint, both are set to neutral color profile. So 3 hrs from 100 to 63% I have had the screen on almost the entire time, going thru settings and various apps, some texting, downloaded 10 updates or apps and listening to music via headphones. Windows hello is interesting yes it does need to be somewhat close, but you don't have to be looking at the screen, I was reading over the top of the phone at my computer and it still unlocked. So far I like it a lot it has the extra features I would have liked on my 920, MicroSD, and thinner, Win 10 definitely works better on it than the 635, is it the ram? Any Glitches in the OS will be updated and hopefully they will add back in some of the features of 8.1. Yes I would recommend this phone to anyone who is not appcentric( got to have that specific app that isn't on windows).

jmoney05txst

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
Coming from an iPhone 5s. The 950 looks and feels far superior. Even sitting next to my wifes 6s. I got everything transferred over quickly, found almost every app i needed and i am having a blast with tge live tiles. The camera is fantastic, ive been on my phone non stop and the battery blows the iphone away. The phone does get a little warm. Only issue right now is edge, even typing this message is a pain, many sites aren't loading and interactive such as just starting a youtuve ide is buggy. Im hoping a latch fixes it up.

PC1589

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I've only had mine a couple of hours. The display is beautiful and the OS is fast. I bought the white and unlike a lot of people, I think it is attractive. The plastic is fine with me and I immediately slapped a Kate Spade, gold and white case on it anyway. As far as heating issues, it did get warm initially while downloading all my apps, etc. Just warm, and not startlingly nor uncomfortably so. I've only played with the camera a bit, but it is impressive; I look forward to using it a lot and it was the main reason I upgraded from my 640. A few things did not make the switch, like Here (honestly, I can't think of the others because I don't use them.) The apps I do use (Twitter, MyFitnessPal,Amazon, FB messaging) made the trip just fine. My only concern is call quality (haven't used the phone yet) and speaker volume. Bluetooth is not connecting with my MS Band 1...not a huge deal, nor will it connect with Bluetooth in My Scion, but neither did the 640, and was often iffy with my Note 2. I have no problem with the aesthetics of the 950.

bschultz75

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
Like many others I was holding onto the 920, looking anxiously forward to a worthy successor. I picked up a white lumia 950 at my local At&T store last night and have had a bit if time to play with it. After reading this forum I was anticipating a lot of bugs or other issues. Really I have exprienced very few problems- very little crashing of aps or other noticeable issues. I have appreciated several things about this phone as compared to my 920.
1. I like the fit and finish. It is much lighter but still solid feeling.
2. The battery seems to be holding up well, even when my son got hold of it.
3. I love the new microsoft store- there are many new quality aps that I never saw before.
4. The screen is very nice. Aps I've used for months look bigger, brighter, and clearer than ever before.
5. I like HELLO. It almost always lets me in quickly. I did run the recognition protocol a few times like others mentioned.
6. The OS is still clean and functional. My 16 y.o. son, who has a Iphone 6 wants my phone now.
7. The battery does charge super fast!

I look forward to seeing how things improve. I'll be looking for a good case and, when I can afford it, the display dock.
[/LIST]

n7slc

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I actually like the feel of the back of the phone and how it looks. Go figure. I got nervous when I heard bad reports, but I like this phone overall. It does get warm when charging and using it a lot and it seems to discharge quickly. I hope this corrects over the next few days with less downloads.

I'm with you on this. I too like the look and feel of the phone. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose.

Mine is still getting warm and power hungry when lightly using it. I hope this settles down over the next few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes