[Quick Impressions] Who Has Gotten The Lumia 950?

Status
Not open for further replies.

d33pth0u9ht

May 20, 2014
Visit site
My experience the same... got my wife a 950 yesterday and none of these issues have occurred. Everything is working well. Have had one messaging crash as reported, but not a big deal.

jmoney05txst

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm with you on this. I too like the look and feel of the phone. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose.

Mine is still getting warm and power hungry when lightly using it. I hope this settles down over the next few days.

I think a lot of the power drain and heat that I have experienced is due to the fact I can't put the phone down.

jmoney05txst

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
I've been anxiously awaiting the arrival of the new Lumia 950 xl but had to settle for the 950 because AT&T doesn't offer the xl. This is my first new phone in 3 years as I was completely content with my 3 year old Lumia 920. So far I don't care for the speaker. I prefer to talk on speaker phone and it sounds cheaper and more "tinny" than my 920 did. I cannot access my voicemail for some reason. It asks me for a password which I don't what that would be because my voicemail always just appeared on my 920. Also, I took a short video but during playback there is no audio. I'm feeling disappointed and may return it to AT&T and grab an IPhone which I have never wanted until now. Can anyone help with these issues?

I think the voicemail pw comes from att

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
For those who have a 950, I'm curious about Glance. On my test 640 Glance is supported, but regardless of what I set it only shows the time (not nearly as brightly as it does on a 920 or 1020), and outstanding notifications that I've selected. It does NOT show my next appointment info like my 920 and 1020 devices do.

NoviMajster

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
For those who have a 950, I'm curious about Glance. On my test 640 Glance is supported, but regardless of what I set it only shows the time (not nearly as brightly as it does on a 920 or 1020), and outstanding notifications that I've selected. It does NOT show my next appointment info like my 920 and 1020 devices do.

I told you so...

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I've had the Lumia 950 for about 24 hours and I'm impressed. I haven't had time to really put it through the paces, but I'll say these things in 10 and 10.

10 Good
1. It zips. It's really fast and smooth.
2. It feels like magic when I unlock my phone by just looking at it. It works for me...every, single time. I've done it in a dark room, with sunglasses on, etc. It just works.
3. The camera has been acceptable. Again, I haven't put it through the paces yet, but the few images I've taken have been great, they just haven't been in challenging situations.
4. I realize that I missed the location-based reminders and have used them again already.
5. I love using Cortana to set appointments, reminder and even for simple things like voice dialing. It all seems to work better than with Android on my Galaxy S5.
6. The screen is simply gorgeous.
7. For such a small simple thing, Glance is a great feature.
8. That dedicated camera button? Yup, I still love it.
9. Setting it up and getting up and running was really easy, even if it takes a long time for things running int he background.
10. BATTERY LIFE is killing it on this second day without as much upgrading/updating happening and the USB-C is fast and using my old Nokia Qi charging plates is great.

10 Other
1. I'm going to have to buy so much stuff: another USB-C charging cable, a car charger, a car mount, a new back case. I'm shocked that AT&T nor the Microsoft Store sell this stuff. Crazy. Oh well...Amazon.
2. People love to jump all over Facebook and even I have a DEEP want for replying to specific comments in the sub-thread form.
3. I have felt the phone get hot, but I'm hoping that was because of so much updating/upgrading. I'll be watching this.
4. No double tap to open? Curious
5. I miss scheduling text messages for the future.
6. I'm SO annoyed that I can't transfer my text messages for the months that I was using Android. If anyone has a suggestion on how to get that done, PLEASE let me know. AT&T couldn't do it, in the store. The Transfer My Data app doesn't so SMS. Ugh.
7. No panorama in the stock camera app is kinda lame for a phone that counts phontography as a strength.
8. Wireless Continuum isn't here yet, though I've seen it in demo videos and there's an option for it in the Continuum setup app on the phone. That will be when it's most useful for me. EDIT: The Microsoft Store rep...and the manager he "confirmed" with, were wrong. Continuum DOES work wirelessly as I found out when I made that happen with my Roku 3 device. To be fair, it did say "Beta" on the Roku screen, but it is certainly an active feature. ARG...I don't like when people give false information with an abundance of confidence that they are right.
9. The main apps that I'm missing are: Navy Federal Credit Union (my main bank USAA is there, though), no tap-to-pay app of any kind, Amazon Apps (Amazon Music & Prime Now are the specific ones)
10. I wish this phone was at least water resitant.

Last edited:

Xsled

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
@dalydose In regards to #8. What do you mean wireless continuum isn't here? It isn't a good experience or it isn't working? For me, not only is it working, but I am blown away by how well it does work. Roku is a little laggy, but my MS wireless display adapter works great. Really great, actually.

Last edited:

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
@dalydose In regards to #8. What do you mean wireless continuum isn't here? It isn't a good experience or it isn't working. For me, not only is it working, but I am blown away by how well it does work. Roku is a little leggy, but my MS wireless display adapter works great. Really great, actually.

agreed. using my netgear ptv3000 and MS hd-10, wireless continuum works great, and MUCH better than normal miracast/screen mirroring

PC1589

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
could it be? it makes a lot of sense if double tap isn't there because of an active windows hello. double tap should be there though if you only set the lockscreen to accept pin/nothing. a simple settings app update will fix this if it was originally omitted.
. No, I haven't bothered setting up Hello, but double-tap wake isn't there at the moment. Not a big deal for me.

Matthew Earley

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
looks like USA have the phone already :( still waiting for the carphone warehouse to ship mine from the UK :( (Upgrading from Lumia 925)

The review on this site was good (looks like they used the phone and not just review it without opening the box) but I just had a few questions, some might be easy but we don't have a Microsoft stores in the UK or any where that you can view any Microsoft products:-

1. I have a Nokia DT-900/DT-901 (Fatboy) and a DT-910, do these still work? (more worried about the DT-910 as its a stand might not fit with bigger phone due to placement of coils)
2. I have not see any reviewer show the camera and what its like in low light? (only seen Microsoft released
3. How quick is the camera at taking moving objects?
4. Battery Life compared to say Nokia 925? (running windows 10 and I can get just 1 day out of my phone)
5. Has any one got or tried the Mozo Back Covers?
6. How big is the phone?

*Sorry if some of these have been answered already

Xsled

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
If you use wireless Continuum, can you connect a keyboard + mouse via bluetooth to the phone to use them?

Correct. Both sync up fine and work fine. As well, the 950 also becomes a touchpad and keyboard. Couple of options. I am still blown away by how well it works.

nospherato

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
Correct. Both sync up fine and work fine. As well, the 950 also becomes a touchpad and keyboard. Couple of options. I am still blown away by how well it works.

Wow!
So I only need a hd-10 or any other miracast receiver or do I still need a Continuum box?
I really want friday to arrive!
(Release in germany)

Now I only need a gold way to transfer my contacts from my blackberry z10 to the lumia 950...

Xsled

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
@nospherato Correct, any Miracast receiver will work. Though, my Roku and Samsung TV are not as great of an experience as the MS adapter. (little noticeable lag, but usable) No dock needed at all. My dock should be here Tuesday and excited to try it, but wirelessly has been amazing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05