Windows goes galactic

Revealed: Samsung's Surface Pro-like Galaxy Book, running Windows 10

Saving money on data

Mint SIM is the perfect way to get cheap data in the U.S.

We made some changes

Our new forums are here!

Don't count Windows Phone out just yet

Dead? Psh. Here are 5 reasons to stick with Windows 10 Mobile

VPN vs. Proxy

The difference between a proxy and a VPN

Latitude attitude

Dell Latitude 7280 is a business laptop with tons of consumer attitude

4K all the way

You probably don't NEED a 4K webcam, but we love Logitech's BRIO 4K anyway

Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Like Tree604Likes

Global Posts
    1,454 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to see more videos and pictures. :)
    Chrishan Fernando likes this.

Global Posts
    20,276 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jurbatov View Post
    Where can I find your awesome post? Thanks in advance!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jurbatov View Post
    Where can I find your awesome post about the migration from iOS to WM10? Thanks!
    I advised John about a couple of things on moving from iOS over here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/mic...ml#post3294032

Discussion of swapping to Windows 10 Mobile from iOS should continue over in that thread. This one is for 950. Thanks.

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't omit the feeling that user eeewing is a fine tuned throll. His conclusion: cheap, wobbly and dirt cheap. And don't forget that he is all ready seeing dust accumulations......after just receiving it.
    Really lame. And it does have a oleophobic coating.
    Jazmac, aximtreo and editguy like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rafal soboczynski View Post
    ... either people have really high standard for these phone having played around with likes of Nexus 6P or Note 5 or even Iphone (i don't like apple but I do admit most of their products are manufactured well), or the second hypothesis is the quality control of whomever is manufacturing them is very poor.
    My opinion is very much coming from a place where I am comparing this device directly to flagship phones from other manufacturers. The QC on this device appears fine, but the body is unquestionably made of much cheaper materials than, say, the iPhone 6S (the latter also costs significantly more, so there you go). However, I would also say the phone "feels" cheaper than my old Lumia 920 or Icon...again, materials only, not build quality.

Now, none of that makes this a bad device in any way. However, if you're moving from an Apple device or Galaxy S6 and expecting the same premium feel, you're gonna be disappointed.

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion Samsung edge plus feels very cheap. My 1520 is premium compared to it.
    Argaron, n7slc, FXi2 and 1 others like this.

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eeewing View Post
    My opinion is very much coming from a place where I am comparing this device directly to flagship phones from other manufacturers. The QC on this device appears fine, but the body is unquestionably made of much cheaper materials than, say, the iPhone 6S (the latter also costs significantly more, so there you go). However, I would also say the phone "feels" cheaper than my old Lumia 920 or Icon...again, materials only, not build quality.

Now, none of that makes this a bad device in any way. However, if you're moving from an Apple device or Galaxy S6 and expecting the same premium feel, you're gonna be disappointed.
    Completely agree with idea of comparing this device to flagships from other platforms, after all as a customer when I pay 470 for lumia 950xl and I can get nexus 6p for 450 (only 32gb I know before someone points this out) I would expect the fit and finish to be on par, I don't care if Microsoft uses plastic, frankly I think it makes more sense when is comes to durability of the phone. But Fit and Finish should be on par.
    wtrmlnjuc and Joe Dubya like this.

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And it is on par.
    Jazmac likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You say 950 feels like million bucks, is that because you played with one or do you have one. Eeewing states that his 950 doesn't feel like premium device, ive read a lot of comment on other forum thread where people tried them in shop and had the same experience, but also a lot of positive comments like yours which leads me to believe either people have really high standard for these phone having played around with likes of Nexus 6P or Note 5 or even Iphone (i don't like apple but I do admit most of their products are manufactured well), or the second hypothesis is the quality control of whomever is manufacturing them is very poor.
    I have one, I was the first post in this thread, scroll up. I've been playing with it all day. It's my first Windows Phone coming over from iOS. Been an iPhone user since 2007. Maybe some people have higher standards than me, but I have pretty high standards. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I'm honestly baffled why anyone would say this phone feels cheap.

*edit: First thing I noticed about this phone was how light it is. Don't know if that's a major factor for people.
    gajomau, dpaynewp, Hoekie and 20 others like this.

Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lumia 950 in my hand.

Quick first impressions:

Feels much lighter than my Lumia 930. Slightly larger in my hand but definitely thinner overall. Love the matte white finish. It's very elegant looking and gives a nice grip while holding it.

All of my settings and contacts synced perfectly (including my alarms).

AT&T HD Voice does work and is active. You'll see the text "AT&T HD Voice" when making a phone call to a compatible phone (my wife's 950 in this case). LTE remains active during the call.

Screen is not as good as the 930. Much dimmer overall. I'm not impressed with that as it's going to make using it outdoors a lot worse. Might have to pressure Microsoft to push a firmware update or something. The colors look accurate and vibrant, but dimmer is not better in the cell phone world. I turned off automatic brightness and set it to 100%. The photo below tells the story.

By the way, the photo below was taken on my wife's 950. The 930 is on the right.

Attachment 116707
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a__666c.jpg  

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John M Beauchemin View Post
    I have one, I was the first post in this thread, scroll up. I've been playing with it all day. It's my first Windows Phone coming over from iOS. Been an iPhone user since 2007. Maybe some people have higher standards than me, but I have pretty high standards. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I'm honestly baffled why anyone would say this phone feels cheap.

*edit: First thing I noticed about this phone was how light it is. Don't know if that's a major factor for people.
    sorry didn't realise you were the first one to post here ''. I'm glad you enjoying your Lumia, and in the end doesn't matter if other think it's not on par with other flagships as long as you are happy. Im still holding my final judgement until I play with one. Lightness of the phone can cause some people to question the 'premium feel of the phone' but that is just BS. Light phone can be as premium as heavy one, plus lighter phone will impact with less energy if you drop it, another plus for durability.
    Now of topics welcome to word of windows. Once you use the device for lets say 2 weeks I would love to see how you are finding windows 10 mobile, would be good if you wrote your experience on forum.
    WesleyBPeres and lcw731 like this.

Global Posts
    1,488 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John M Beauchemin View Post

How do you measure how something feels? It's subjective really, what feels cheap to one person, feels premium to another.
    RumoredNow, rxc13, libra89 and 3 others like this.

Global Posts
    20,276 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^ Exactly. Feel is subjective.

And people are writing their subjective opinion.

Trouble arises either when it is written as an absolute or read as a statement of universal application.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyway View Post
    How do you measure how something feels? It's subjective really, what feels cheap to one person, feels premium to another.
    It's completely subjective, yes. Doesn't mean peoples subjective opinions don't still make me scratch my head ;)

Sorry I haven't posted pictures or movies yet, to those who have been asking. I am actually trying to work despite the fact that I keep fiddling with the new distraction... uh, I mean phone. I did take a picture of myself with the selfie cam and was very impressed... but the pictures are completely screwed up when I look at them on my PC via OneDrive. They're all corrupted. Haven't taken the time to look into that yet. Anyone else run into it?
    Skyway, libra89 and RumoredNow like this.

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempest790 View Post
    Lumia 950 in my hand.

Quick first impressions:

Feels much lighter than my Lumia 930. Slightly larger in my hand but definitely thinner overall. Love the matte white finish. It's very elegant looking and gives a nice grip while holding it.

AT&T HD Voice does work and is active. You'll see the text "AT&T HD Voice" when making a phone call to a compatible phone (my wife's 950 in this case). LTE remains active during the call.

Screen is not as good as the 930. Much dimmer overall. I'm not impressed with that as it's going to make using it outdoors a lot worse. Might have to pressure Microsoft to push a firmware update or something. The colors look accurate and vibrant, but dimmer is not better in the cell phone world. I turned off automatic brightness and set it to 100%. The photo below tells the story.

By the way, the photo below was taken on my wife's 950. The 930 is on the right.

Attachment 116707
    wow the screen brightness is VERY noticeable, hopefully Microsoft can adres is it with firmware.

Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lumia 950 in my hand.

Quick first impressions:

Attachment 116707
    what about camera quality? any samples?

Global Posts
    1,368 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to thank all the ATT 950 beta testers. Hopefully the last few bugs will be taken care of by the time my XL ships.
    gajomau, Sedp23, jdballard and 5 others like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always complained that the 930 didn't go dim enough, it is always too bright, especially at night...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by badMojo69 View Post
    I'd like to thank all the ATT 950 beta testers. Hopefully the last few bugs will be taken care of by the time my XL ships.
    LOL, you are a monster ;)
    ROBBIE HALL and xsonwong like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attachment 116707
    Have you tried changing the brightness profile in the display settings under 'extra'. That might help somewhat.
    jmajid, editguy and TechFreak1 like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was all excited for 950xl, but I cant't justify spending so much on flimsily build phone :-(, I think ill have to stay with 920 for little longer until it dies, then get cheap lumia after than until Panos do his magic with phone department (I guess another year of waiting)
    Why do you want to change the legendary L920 to a cheap Lumia? & moreover L920 is a solid device, I'm sure it won't die easily that soon. With W10 TP it works like a charm, except for the front camera & the battery life now lasts for 12-13hrs. Mine is 3yrs old now.

L950xl is really good, no denying that, & it's miles ahead of L920. But it is definitely not like how the L920 was in 2012 when launched. If you still need an upgrade, wait until Jan and get the pocket friendly L950 when prices fall down.

Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cannot wait to walk into the conference room, use Windows Hello to unlock my phone, and fire up continuum to do a presentation. All this time being clowned for having a Windows Phone is about to pay off. hah!

Global Posts
    1,042 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about sound quality to headphones? Is it better than past Lumia phones?

Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by badMojo69 View Post
    I said the same thing about early Surface Book adopters since my future 1TB favorite toy doesn't ship until 1/22.

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by avi_920 View Post
    Why do you want to change the legendary L920 to a cheap Lumia? & moreover L920 is a solid device, I'm sure it won't die easily that soon. With W10 TP it works like a charm, except for the front camera & the battery life now lasts for 12-13hrs. Mine is 3yrs old now.

L950xl is really good, no denying that, & it's miles ahead of L920. But it is definitely not like how the L920 was in 2012 when launched. If you still need an upgrade, wait until Jan and get the pocket friendly L950 when prices fall down.
    Well, I'm still waiting to play around with 950xl when they come to stores where I live, I might get nice surprise and will actually like the 950xl and get one. I dont really want to part with 920 yet, as it is amazing phone (i will miss that screen I think, I always liked LCD better than amoled especially with clearblack), but if I choose not to upgrade to 950xl and 920 dies (it is 3 years old now and battery is slowly dying ) on me then ill have to get something cheap (like 640) until Panos realises new amazing lumias with sd820 (hopefully)
    xsonwong likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoviMajster View Post
    I can't omit the feeling that user eeewing is a fine tuned throll.

...and I would advise that before calling names, you check out my profile and past posting history. I've been a member here since this site was a baby, and have had (and enjoyed) Windows Phones of every generation. However, the devices have ALWAYS had problems, and I don't wear blinders. The build quality of this phone is fine, but not up to the par of other platform's flagships. If you have one and disagree, great! That's why this is a "first impressions" thread...so we can all post our gut impressions of the phone.
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast