Windows goes galactic

Revealed: Samsung's Surface Pro-like Galaxy Book, running Windows 10

Saving money on data

Mint SIM is the perfect way to get cheap data in the U.S.

We made some changes

Our new forums are here!

Don't count Windows Phone out just yet

Dead? Psh. Here are 5 reasons to stick with Windows 10 Mobile

VPN vs. Proxy

The difference between a proxy and a VPN

Latitude attitude

Dell Latitude 7280 is a business laptop with tons of consumer attitude

4K all the way

You probably don't NEED a 4K webcam, but we love Logitech's BRIO 4K anyway

Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Like Tree604Likes

Global Posts
    668 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uselessrobot View Post
    Sure... So, I have my phone set so that it locks (requiring a password) to unlock after a delay of 5 minutes. This way I don't have to re-enter the password if I've just done something with the phone. I assumed the iris scanner would follow the same rule, but it doesn't.

Now, to be clear, if the phone is unlocked you can ignore than scanner and just swipe to home. It just seems odd that it would come on at all in that situation.

I will add that there is a setting that automatically jumps to home from the lock screen using the scanner. I've got it turned on, because with it off the scanner comes on anyway, even when the phone is unlocked. It just confirms your identity and leaves you at the lock screen.

That functionality strikes me a bit odd. I'm not sure why it wouldn't just function like a traditional password unlock always has.
    if im understanding you correctly... there is an option to have the lockscreen active, and it not require the passcode to be entered? and at this active lockscreen, windows hello is still there and is used?

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you like the V10? I'm on the fence about getting one. Thanks.

Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Good:
    1. Display
    2. Thickness - so thin
    3. Speed - so this is what a fast phone feels like!
    4. Windows Hello - neat little trick
    5. I can use my DT-900 and DT-910 Qi chargers
    6. SD card slot!
    7. Camera (thanks for the reminder Zujko)

The Bad:
    1. Windows 10 Mobile - Double tap is missing
    2. Windows 10 Mobile - it isn't a finished build (we knew that though)
    3. Windows 10 Mobile - Messaging + Skype app just isn't 'there' yet, but you can see the promise in it
    4. Windows 10 Mobile - Lumia Help+Tips and Advanced Info will never install, always result in error 0x803F8006
    5. Me - I choose a clean setup and learned I have a 2 year gap in text messages (all present on old phone), I am missing 11/30/2013 - 11/18/2015
    6. Me - Sonic Dash dev's says it's impossible to backup data on a Windows Phone/Mobile device... REALLY?! iOS uses iCloud, Android uses Google+ Cloud, but Windows doesn't have a cloud that they knew of apparently
    7. Me - I have to buy a new army of chargers/cables

Major Annoyances (for me)
    1. AT&T - Visual Voicemail is missing/broken/inconsistent
    2. Unknown - Windows Central live tile is not updating until I open the app
    3. Email/Text alerts no longer make it to my 1st Gen MS Band

I have yet to encounter a show stopper that would make me want to return it. All in all, this is a dream compared to my well worn and used Lumia 920.

I am hunting for a Qi compatible case, if you know of one please share (Mozo?).
    Last edited by zeke009; 11-19-2015 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Frustrations mounting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least it's a good base to start with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmajid View Post
    if im understanding you correctly... there is an option to have the lockscreen active, and it not require the passcode to be entered? and at this active lockscreen, windows hello is still there and is used?
    Take a look here. http://1drv.ms/1NdYENp (Account's too young for links, so delete the space between slashes.)

You can biometrically authorize the phone with the iris scanner and choose to have it stay at the lockscreen until you physically swipe up with your finger. Alternatively, you can see I chose the setting where it needs no physical finger swipe and -- after checking my iris -- unlocks itself to the home screen.
    Last edited by jmshub; 11-19-2015 at 10:52 AM. Reason: fixed url
    jmajid and Marcel Stein like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Camera isnt great?

I think the best part on Lumia is camera..

Global Posts
    1,488 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kroman1975 View Post
    How do you like the V10? I'm on the fence about getting one. Thanks.
    I think it's a great phone. It is on the larger side, and all the reviews I read talked about how huge and heavy it was, I didn't think so. I thought it felt pretty light and good in the hand. The camera is the stand out feature on that phone, it is the same one from the G4, but better. There's also cool stuff like a 32 bit DAC and headphone amp built in, I was really impressed by it. I almost got it, but I held out for the 950. I don't think anyone could go wrong with that phone, but that's just my opinion.

Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zujko View Post
    Camera isnt great?

I think the best part on Lumia is camera..
    It is, my bad. I never was bit by the photog-bug, so it was at the back of my mind. Thanks for the reminder!
    zujko likes this.

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does it function with Verizon sim card

Global Posts
    1,488 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Senn1 View Post
    How does it function with Verizon sim card
    The 950/XL will not work on Verizon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eeewing View Post
    They feel very cheap (wobbling back and forth easily), especially as compared to the ceramic buttons on the 920.

Nope, not yet!

It's...okay. I would really be hesitant to call it flagship-level. Lots of plastic, dirt/dust gets trapped in odd placed (the embossed logos on the back, or edges of the display), and it feels in-hand similar to a device like the Moto E. Screen appears to have no oleophobic coating.

In all honesty, the speaker's not great.
    Damn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both lumia 950/950 xl are made in vietnam, my country, but they're not yet ready for shopping here and no date announcement so far Only thing is that there's at least 20% of people having smart phones here are using Windows phone
    Editor-in-chief

Global Posts
    1,034 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrishan Fernando View Post
    WC where is your L950 ? Dan wake up !!!!
    I was going to do a review, but now I'm not. Don't wake me up.

Global Posts
    1,233 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rubino View Post
    I was going to do a review, but now I'm not. Don't wake me up.
    crap! never awaken a sleeping Dan!!!!
    avi_920 likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eeewing View Post
    My opinion is very much coming from a place where I am comparing this device directly to flagship phones from other manufacturers. The QC on this device appears fine, but the body is unquestionably made of much cheaper materials than, say, the iPhone 6S (the latter also costs significantly more, so there you go). However, I would also say the phone "feels" cheaper than my old Lumia 920 or Icon...again, materials only, not build quality.

Now, none of that makes this a bad device in any way. However, if you're moving from an Apple device or Galaxy S6 and expecting the same premium feel, you're gonna be disappointed.
    I have to say that I agree with the comments about the flimsy plastic. I had a chance to play with a 950 XL in a MSFT store before the phones were recalled and the backs are quite thin and flimsy compared to the back of my 928.

Global Posts
    712 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyway View Post
    I think it's a great phone. It is on the larger side, and all the reviews I read talked about how huge and heavy it was, I didn't think so. I thought it felt pretty light and good in the hand. The camera is the stand out feature on that phone, it is the same one from the G4, but better. There's also cool stuff like a 32 bit DAC and headphone amp built in, I was really impressed by it. I almost got it, but I held out for the 950. I don't think anyone could go wrong with that phone, but that's just my opinion.
    My sentiments exactly, I honestly saw it as the best Android phone available today. With the stainless steel construction and rubbery knurled back, it feels like a weapon when you hold it.

f1.8 aperture, with full manual control over photos and video, shoots in raw, and you can adjust the audio level when recording through front or rear microphones.

ESS Technologies high resolution DAC and headphone amplifier built into the phone. It sounds freaking amazing through my Audio-Technica headphones

Removable battery and expandable storage. I got a free spare battery, charging cradle, and 200GB MicroSD card included.

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The phone feels premium, is it like previous high end Lumias design wise? no. But look how well those sold. The camera is faster and takes better pictures than my 1020 and 930. The screen looks light years ahead of every other phone I've laid my hands on, its light and thin. You can't please everybody, but its funny reading all of the comments trashing the device when pound for pound there is nothing better out there. Well I guess there's the app gap and lack of mobile payment, but that's a different story.
    editguy, Jeddic and barareklam like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Visa Declined View Post
    ESS Technologies high resolution DAC and headphone amplifier built into the phone. It sounds freaking amazing through my Audio-Technica headphones
    Do you think I'd notice a difference between my iPhone 4s and this phone when I listen to ALAC audio on my Sony MBR-10RBT?

Global Posts
    1,488 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyndon Sanche View Post
    Do you think I'd notice a difference between my iPhone 4s and this phone when I listen to ALAC audio on my Sony MBR-10RBT?
    Most definitely, if you have a good ear. If you don't know what to listen for, then you might not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also please like to know how capable the built in speaker is? Sound levels, distortion, etcetera?

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I received my phone around noon yesterday, but I didn't get time to set it up until late last night.

Appearance: I have the matte white AT&T version, and I think that the phone is quite attractive in person. The camera ring looks way better than I had expected--it's an obvious visual flourish, but it's clean and minimal.

In-Hand Feel: I think the phone feels very good in hand. Size is manageable (especially with one-handed mode), and I have always preferred the in-hand feel of quality plastic to metal or glass. (I know that opinions differ on "premium" materials, but I prefer the in-hand feel of the Nexus 5x over the 6p, so that shows where I stand on size and plastic vs. "premium" metal.)

Buttons are clicky and responsive, but I wouldn't call them the highlight of this device. It's nice to have a dedicated camera button back.

Screen: It's a great screen. No complaints.

Windows Hello: I would have preferred a good fingerprint scanner to iris recognition. I wear glasses (very nearsighted), and I need to hold the phone closer to my face than I'd prefer to activate Windows Hello. That said, it does work well in the dark (but so do fingerprints).

Software: I like what MS has done with W10 Mobile. I wouldn't want to go back to Windows Phone 8.1, and I prefer W10 Mobile to Android and iOS. That said, if there was a clean, Nexus-like Android phone with a one-handed mode like Apple's "Reachability" (or W10M's one-handed mode where the top half of the screen slides down toward the bottom of the phone) I would be very tempted.

On the 950, Window 10 Mobile is fast and fluid, and I have seen exactly zero "resuming" screens.

Windows 10 Mobile still has growing pains. Outlook Mail resets swipe settings at unexpected times. The new universal messaging app has the potential to be excellent, but it's still in its early stages. Edge is fast and fluid, but it's also buggy. Occasionally, Edge will manifest an odd bug where the my input registers significantly above where I'm touching. This only happens in Edge, so I'm hoping MS can fix this soon (bug report submitted).

Camera: Seems excellent, but I need to test it more thoroughly.

Battery Life: Too early to tell--I'll report back.

Overall: I like my Lumia 950. If you enjoy Windows 10 Mobile, I think it's a good pick.

Global Posts
    3,896 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    f1.8 aperture, with full manual control over photos and video, shoots in raw, and you can adjust the audio level when recording through front or rear microphones.
    Sounds impressive and apparently is in real world use. This is the level of advancement I'd expect of a Lumia camera flagship phone in 2015, seems the android OEM's have again raised the bar once set by Lumias.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some updated thoughts after using it for an entire day. Be forewarned, most of these are bad. I already gushed about how awesome the phone is, so don't get me wrong, I love it... but here are the 'growing pains':

-Played Fallout4 for a few hours last night and used my Lumia950 as my Pip-Boy with the PB app. When I was done, I grabbed my phone and HOLY MOSES was it hot. I don't mean warm, I mean HOT. Even my table was hot to the touch. It was very concerning. Prior to last night, I would use my iPhone as my Pip-Boy for hours, and it never even got warm.

-Messenger app crashes a lot. You click on the app and it loads for a split second, then goes away. Click on it again, and it loads. Annoying.

-I'm sure this is a 'me not knowing how Win10m works' problem, but I cannot figure how to get back to active apps. So, for example, I'm browsing my movie library on Plex and decide I want to check the web or send a txt real quick, so I hit the WinHome button, launch the other app, do my thing, hit the home button again... now what? If I launch Plex again, I have to sign in again, and it puts me back on my Plex home screen and not where I was in my library. So is there a blade-like screen for active apps like iOS has, or can you literally only run one app at a time?!

-I set up Windows Hello and am not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand, it's neat. On the other hand, I have to move my phone so close to my face in order for it to scan my eyes that I go cross eyed and cannot read the screen. The sweet spot for Hello to work seems to be 6" off of your nose, and that is unnaturally close for me.

-Also, as a previous user mentioned, it's a bit cumbersome to even get into the phone when you've got a lock on it. I've got it set to not require a password for 5 minutes after use, yet for some reason when I hit the power button it does not bypass the lock screen so I still have to 'swipe up' to enter the phone. That's not really any different from how any other phone works, but Windows Hello still tries to identify me which makes me think my phone is locked, so then I go through the whole Windows Hello process which is shove the phone into my face so it can scan me... and the whole thing ends up taking way longer than it takes me to rifle off a 4-digit pin. Also, now, Windows Hello has disabled itself because of 'too many sign-in attempts'. I really wish there was just a fast way into the phone when it's still unlocked.

-On a similar subject, I cannot seem to find a setting for when the phone goes to sleep. It is way too fast by default. Sometimes I'll just stop and think for a few seconds, and my phone goes to sleep. Super annoying.

Here is a shot of my ugly mug, testing out the front-facing camera. The front camera on this thing takes better pictures than the back camera on my old iPhone. I haven't really used the back camera much at all yet, this is the ugliest time of year around here for pics. New England in late fall/winter is gray and hideous.

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uselessrobot View Post
    Sure... So, I have my phone set so that it locks (requiring a password) to unlock after a delay of 5 minutes. This way I don't have to re-enter the password if I've just done something with the phone. I assumed the iris scanner would follow the same rule, but it doesn't.

Now, to be clear, if the phone is unlocked you can ignore than scanner and just swipe to home. It just seems odd that it would come on at all in that situation.

I will add that there is a setting that automatically jumps to home from the lock screen using the scanner. I've got it turned on, because with it off the scanner comes on anyway, even when the phone is unlocked. It just confirms your identity and leaves you at the lock screen.

That functionality strikes me a bit odd. I'm not sure why it wouldn't just function like a traditional password unlock always has.
    Thanks for elaborating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really? Source?
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast