The Lumia 950 is an absolute embarrassment

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rockweiler

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
Previously had the Lumia 900 which has been my all time favorite phone. It did what I wanted it to do without hesitation or frustration. The charging port broke forcing me to get another phone. I got the blackberry z10 which isn't the greatest of phones but I grew to like it. I had the phone until I got the 950 so the bar was set pretty low.

This 950 is a tragedy. I've had so many issues with the phone that frustrate the living hell out of me that I am debating whether to return it or not.

First thing was I didn't get text notifications for days, that is unacceptable.

Second, the browser sucks. If I want to go back multiple pages I have to do so one by one. Then there's these scrolling adds that have trouble scrolling through the screen and it thinks I'm trying to press on it so it opens up an ad. Also, banner ads take forever to load and they don't know their size so the whole site twitches from small to large when loading so if I try to click on somethjng while it's loading, chances are the website will switch sizes on me and I'll click on the wrong thing.

Also, e-mails are not syncing.

I'm having issues syncing with my SP3.

When an app or site wants to access my location and I click cancel instead, it closes out of it.

It has been 3 days with the phone and this is not the windows phone of the past. This has so many bugs and is way more frustrating to function.

Last edited:

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
re: Is the Lumia 950 an embarrassment?

Not having any of those problems and I am running the latest build on my old Nokia Lumia 920. In fact there is no way I would want to return back to 8.1 because this build has been so good. only fault I have come across is the photo app freezes from time to time.

Jonah Travisano

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site

I'm not doubting your troubles on your 950, but I got to wonder if you got a bad phone as I have a 920 which I put Windows 10 on and it's working pretty well...there's some lag, but no worse then 8.1...maybe you could exchange that phone for another 950.

Red​920

mikeclan

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site

i dont have either of those problems with my 950.... its the exact same type of talk when someone gets a update and cant start there xbox one, they blame the hardware as if its a problem for all of us...maybe its your unit, instead of complaining swap out the unit, or do a factory reset and see if that works.

YKinase

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

...First thing was I didn't get text notifications for days, that is unacceptable.

Second, the browser sucks. If I want to go back multiple pages I have to do so one by one. Then there's these scrolling adds that have trouble scrolling through the screen and it thinks I'm trying to press on it so it opens up an ad. Also, banner ads take forever to load and they don't know their size so the whole site twitches from small to large when loading so if I try to click on somethjng while it's loading, chances are the website will switch sizes on me and I'll click on the wrong thing.

Also, e-mails are not syncing.

I'm having issues syncing with my SP3.

When an app or site wants to access my location and I click cancel instead, it closes out of it.

It has been 3 days with the phone and this is not the windows phone of the past. This has so many bugs and is way more frustrating to function.

- Not getting text notifications is odd. You get texts, right?

- Edge is still a work in progress. I have similar problems with slow loading and ads. Make sure your browser is set to 'mobile' not desktop. Default it mobile so that's likely not the problem. You can find this under settings in Edge. A third party browser may be of some help, like UC Browser HD.

- Email sync problems - not sure what to suggest there. Again, settings will allow you to change the frequency of mail sync. I think default is 'based on behavior' but if you're not getting emails fast enough, change to 'as they arrive'.

- Location is necessary for some apps. Nav apps (obviously) need access to location but I've been surprised to find some 3rd party tools or games ask for location. After pressing cancel, they won't run because it's 'required'. This is more of an app issue than an OS issue I think.

- What do you mean 'syncing with my SP3'? What are you syncing?

BLKahuna

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site

Edge (the browser) is indeed terrible and should never have been released in its current state. It's not much better in Windows 10 desktop either. The other problems you're having are not systemic with the phone or OS. There is a problem with your phone or config and it should be fixable. I'd go back to AT&T and have them figure it out or replace the phone.

Replacing the phone won't fix the browser. I agree the only answer there is to get UC Browser or another browser from the store and use it. The only problem is, I'm not sure if you can set it as the "default" browser to come up when you tap links in emails, etc.

Azizelh

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site

All those things are OS related. Experienced some of them on my 1520, and now on my 950

feereless

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site

for the going back a couple pages thing... cant you just go to recent -> pick the page you want?

ncbartschi

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

Edge (the browser) is indeed terrible and should never have been released in its current state. It's not much better in Windows 10 desktop either. The other problems you're having are not systemic with the phone or OS. There is a problem with your phone or config and it should be fixable. I'd go back to AT&T and have them figure it out or replace the phone.

Replacing the phone won't fix the browser. I agree the only answer there is to get UC Browser or another browser from the store and use it. The only problem is, I'm not sure if you can set it as the "default" browser to come up when you tap links in emails, etc.

I find Edge to still be a nightmare on the desktop (has anyone actually tried using Edge with wcentral? It's terrible). However, my experience with mobile edge has been great. It actually feels quite faster than IE.

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site

- Not getting text notifications is odd. You get texts, right?

- Edge is still a work in progress. I have similar problems with slow loading and ads. Make sure your browser is set to 'mobile' not desktop. Default it mobile so that's likely not the problem. You can find this under settings in Edge. A third party browser may be of some help, like UC Browser HD.

- Email sync problems - not sure what to suggest there. Again, settings will allow you to change the frequency of mail sync. I think default is 'based on behavior' but if you're not getting emails fast enough, change to 'as they arrive'.

- Location is necessary for some apps. Nav apps (obviously) need access to location but I've been surprised to find some 3rd party tools or games ask for location. After pressing cancel, they won't run because it's 'required'. This is more of an app issue than an OS issue I think.

- What do you mean 'syncing with my SP3'? What are you syncing?

On my 928, I get texts but no audible notification. I have to check the screen every two minutes, or I'm missing texts. Definitely not a 950 problem, and more of an Win10 problem.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

Edge has it's faults and extensions can't come soon enough, but blaming questionable website advertising tactics on W10 and Edge is ludicrous.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

I find Edge to still be a nightmare on the desktop (has anyone actually tried using Edge with wcentral? It's terrible). However, my experience with mobile edge has been great. It actually feels quite faster than IE.

Yup I'm the same, I like mobile edge, I don't like Edge on my Surface3... so many times locks up the cpu with highload. Sure not edge fault but we need a way to manage the media on the ads better (some of my worst experience is while on this very site!)

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

I use it all the time, especially here on Windows Central. Its fantastic and if you like speed, can't beat it. You need to know a bit about what makes the internet tick though. You can either manage your own hosts file, which is what I've done. Or grab a copy of Adguard which works pretty good too. As far as what the OP is going through, its hard to tell how to help you since you seem to have given up and deemed the 950 a failure. I hope you are able to return it and get your money back. Blackberry might be better designed for you. When you get stuck figuring out the charging port, you're done.

SahirS99

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site

You know you're totally right. If you really don't like it bring it back. In a month or two I bet most of those problems are fixed (Doubt so), we're talking about Microsoft here. But they changed their strategic plan. But I can imagine how mad you are right now.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site

The 950 is about as good as any 1st-day Smartphone I ever owned, and I go back to the first one: the Palm Treo 270. I bought the first 950 sold on the first hour of the first day -Friday- at my local MSFT store. The store associate talked himself to ATT to get my new SIM activated over from my 1020, and virtually everything else that was important to me downloaded automatically after I set up my 3 email accounts that day. This is the first time in a few Win versions that I've had the option to get my Comcast mail as it arrives. I am not seeing notifications on Glance yet; but, texts and all mail items are alerting me and showing counts on their respective tiles, un-delayed (I started testing the first hour), as they arrive.

I haven't even had to sync my Win 10 SP2, since all items, documents, etc. appeared on my phone, including thousands of owned and Grove Music Pass tracks that are on my SP2 and my OneDrives. I finally have a phone with an SD card for my insatiable music tastes, AND a replaceable battery so I can listen, talk, and photograph to my heart's content. Sweet. :love:

I love Edge, especially its speed, AND the new and amazing Reading mode. This mode is the most valued new browser feature in memory, and again, I go way back. Between yous and I, I would have paid for this feature.

I'm a very satisfied, very-early-first-adopter, and the Glance screen is about the only improvement I'm impatient about on this fourth day. I'm enjoying learning all sorts of new things, including familiar things on different hooks/screens. About the only gap I've found is the very ready, useful, and highly-needed music-search feature from the Search button. I sure hope that's still coming.

Best of luck and healthy attitudes to all fellow early-adopters. :wink:

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

Edge works great on desktop for me. Update your Hosts file and for now until we have extensions, it will block all that evil ad crap! Wish we could do this on mobile though or turn off scripts from running in the browser. At least we have reading view.

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

I wouldn't blame the phone. The 950 and 950 XL are probably great hardware. Windows 10 Mobile however is the embarrassment currently. Too many yet to be resolved Beta OS issues and should not have shipped on these new phones if not ready. I want the 950 XL but I'm not buying anything until the OS is ready (carrier approved OTA version), and the price drops.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for not playing. I too think you should wait for the non beta version of the software.

Mike Newport

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site

Literally every forum thread I have read, one person is having no issues, the next so buggy cant use it, the next love it no issue, the next a few issues but its ok, the next super buggy, the next amazing performance, Im a chef by trade and what everyone is experiencing is called a very inconsistent product , this was acceptable during the beta and then preview stages, but when you release a 600$ flagship device the performance should be consistent, my uncle bought the 950 friday and he only got it because of how awesome my 1020 was on tp10. His phone is actually performing worse then mine. I told him this build 10586,is the most inconsistent build since early september. Build 10581 was twice as functional as build 10586. Its just hard to justify 600$ for a beta os with the performance of a android. Based upon his experience and what I have read I hope Microsoft will release a new build very quickly, one last thing , even after a hard reset his 950 is still trying to pull up 8.1 apps and they are failing i expect this on the old hardware on my 1020 lumia device, but not on the all new hardware of the 950.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism