Worth switching from Verizon?

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I currently have a 735 with Verizon which I like. I must say though the 950 has been making me consider jumping ship. What do you 950 owners think? Is it worth it or nay? Or should I wait to see if by chance Verizon releases their own? Snow balls chance in hell though that'll happen...

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Maybe

I would say the most important thing is coverage in your area.

I switched from Verizon after 15 years for the 830, which I immediately regretted because the four 830s I had were all garbage - worst Lumias I've ever owned.

I travel all over the country, rural and metro, it's a simple fact that Verizon's signal covers more area. It's hasn't been an issue for me because the AT&T coverage in my home area is fine and when I travel I carry a company iPhone that is on Verizon with my personal phone set to forward calls to it when it's not in reach.

Now, for the 950. I love this phone, it's such a huge upgrade over the 830 and I've had zero issues or bugs with it. This phone has completely reversed the regret I felt for switching for the 830. So for me, yes, absolutely worth it but I can't say yes or no for you.

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: Maybe

That's the thing. Verizon has awesome coverage here while AT&T is meh. The other two? Garbage. I'm just hoping Verizon and Microsoft kiss and make up because I don't want to downgrade my service for a phone I want.

I would say the most important thing is coverage in your area.

I switched from Verizon after 15 years for the 830, which I immediately regretted because the four 830s I had were all garbage - worst Lumias I've ever owned.

I travel all over the country, rural and metro, it's a simple fact that Verizon's signal covers more area. It's hasn't been an issue for me because the AT&T coverage in my home area is fine and when I travel I carry a company iPhone that is on Verizon with my personal phone set to forward calls to it when it's not in reach.

Now, for the 950. I love this phone, it's such a huge upgrade over the 830 and I've had zero issues or bugs with it. This phone has completely reversed the regret I felt for switching for the 830. So for me, yes, absolutely worth it but I can't say yes or no for you.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Re: Maybe

That's the thing. Verizon has awesome coverage here while AT&T is meh. The other two? Garbage. I'm just hoping Verizon and Microsoft kiss and make up because I don't want to downgrade my service for a phone I want.

Well... there's your answer.

Awesome phone or cellular service.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
My 950xl has been shipped. When it arrives, I'll take it to my local Verizon store and ask to move my number from my Note 4 to the 950xl. I'm not going to tell them that it's the new WP unless I'm asked. I don't think most of the people in the store know one phone from another. If it activates; great. If they say it won't work on their network, I'll loudly ask why and go from there.

Once this exercise in futility is over, I'll walk out letting them know I'm on my way to AT&T.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
My 950xl has been shipped. When it arrives, I'll take it to my local Verizon store and ask to move my number from my Note 4 to the 950xl. I'm not going to tell them that it's the new WP unless I'm asked. I don't think most of the people in the store know one phone from another. If it activates; great. If they say it won't work on their network, I'll loudly ask why and go from there.

Once this exercise in futility is over, I'll walk out letting them know I'm on my way to AT&T.

Why not just swap your SIM card.

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I am being honest. I do not think so. Maybe you can try to find a used icon instead? I have the 950 because they gave it to me as a replacement for my 1520. I do not think its good enough to replace a icon/930/1520. I am having a lot of the same bugs that I did on my 1520 on windows 10 mobile. Yes the camera is a little better but thats about it.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to switch to Cricket (AT&T's network) for this phone. We'll see how it goes, but $35 for 2.5 GB of data and unlimited text and talk is great.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Anyone have any thoughts on how is AT&T coverage in the metro Washington DC area compares to Verizon.

I'm in the area now, with Verizon & AT&T phones. I see no difference.

AT&T basically has every metro area covered, it's the more rural areas that Verizon has it beat.

Fenoy

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Thanks - I have an L928 (which has been an excellent phone) and I'm thinking of switching from Verizon, who I've had since they were Bell Atlantic, to AT&T get the 950XL which I'll buy unlocked from MS. I may be wrong but given Verizon's past support of WP I don't see these phones coming to Verizon in the foreseeable future.

asellite

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
I currently have a 735 with Verizon which I like. I must say though the 950 has been making me consider jumping ship. What do you 950 owners think? Is it worth it or nay? Or should I wait to see if by chance Verizon releases their own? Snow balls chance in hell though that'll happen...

Short answer for ya, I switched from Verizon for the 950. Very happy I did.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm in the area now, with Verizon & AT&T phones. I see no difference.

AT&T basically has every metro area covered, it's the more rural areas that Verizon has it beat.
agreed.
I'm in Maryland/DC metro area and a good amount of my friends have at&t. No issues really.

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the input everybody! I'm just annoyed because I have the windows 10 preview on my 735 and it's so buggy! I want to go back to 8.1 but the recovery tool won't work leaving me stuck with this mess.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

The joke will be on you. Anyone who knows anything about mobile phones will know that the 950XL will not work on Verizon. You will be showing your ignorance.

It would be better to simply walk into the Verizon store and tell them that you're switching because they do not support the 950XL, although that's not technically true because Microsoft could have made it Verizon capable. Don't tell us they couldn't. Apple did it; Google did it; Motorola did it. If you say Microsoft couldn't, you are in essence saying that Microsoft is inept when it comes to mobile phone manufacturing.

I think that might only work if it's from one Verizon phone to another.

No, the phone does not need to be Verizon branded. It only needs to have Verizon capabilities. Did you not read about when the Nexus 6 was released last year? The factory unlocked version works on Verizon out of the box, but they couldn't activate it. It only worked if you took an already active SIM card and put it in. The 950 and 950XL are not capable of working on Verizon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3