Terribly unfair review from Gizmodo

eeewing

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm ordinarily one to take reviews with a grain of salt, but this one from Gizmodo is terribly unfair:

Lumia 950 Review: Microsoft's Best Ideas Still Don't Fit In Your Hand

I mean, the Lumia 950 is not perfect. It's a great phone, but has serious shortcomings: the app gap, of course, some performance issues (app crashes, heat). Still...this reviewer clearly had an axe to grind. For instance: the camera button often doesn't launch the camera app? The camera app is sluggish? The screen is "small" (while the iPhone 6s's 4.7" screen is seemingly alright)? The battery life is terrible? Puh-lease.

Also, no mention of Windows Hello, which -- love it or hate it -- is a differentiator. No mention of wireless charging. No mention of...well, anything positive outside of the screen's resolution.

Just a badly-written review, obviously coming from someone who hated the assignment (and hated carrying the phone for a week). Grrrrr.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I read that review during my lunch today. It is a poorly incomplete review.

The thing that bothered me most was the author's skewed view of history, where he makes several inaccurate statements about past Windows Phones. If I could be bothered, I'd love to write counter points to his statements.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
This was already an indication of how biased this review was going to be..

"After forcing myself to use it for the past week, however, I’m not sure why anyone would want to"

But I decided to soldier on and read the article.. In the end I was left wondering.. when did people lose the ability to think for themselves?? Or have I just always given too much credit to the majority of the human race? After all I'm am, in most cases, a glass half full kind of guy :D

The funny thing about this article is that if he were reviewing an Android device, he would've easily found 1000 reasons to sugarcoat the future and try to suggest possible corrections that could be made in a matter that wouldn't drive people away from buying that phone. However since this is a WP he went out of his way to make it abundantly clear that he nor anyone that thinks like him should buy the phone lol...

If you're going to look at it from an Android pov then yes it's a tough pill to swallow, but if you simply give the phone a chance? totally different story. I'm not just making it up. The forum threads of the past few days are my proof...

Yes you could typify me as a ******, but I know what's wrong and what's right, so I call it like it is. The same goes for this platform.. I'll tell you the positives, but I'll also tell you the negatives, it's up to you as an individual to make up your mind and if you can't? Well mate, I can't help ya

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
The camera button doesn't always work because sometimes you cover the proximity sensor and it thinks it's in your pocket. The option is also able to be turned off. Look at me, I'm a genius. It really bugs me when people knock off points due to their own ignorance.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
He probably doesn't even have a 950 And his mouth is filthy. He writes like a kid with a magic marker drawing worthless scribble on the walls. He doesn't write to educate, he writes for shock value and so profane, you think he was raised by wild animals. One of Gizmodo's fringe contributors without a worthwhile conversation to his name, unless you're on meth. Not worth discussing.

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
You like it, better use it. Dont bother about these reviews, 90%+ of them would be more towards -ve since they are all reviewers who have apple in their pocket and WP looks like a sore grape to them. They dont want to taste it (good for them) and they tell everyone its sore without even touching it properly.

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
LOL if you read it carefully the writer actually enjoys everything about the phone (he even likes the metal ring on the camera :D ) but then again every time he writes something good he remembers that his initial purpose was to write something bad about MS to get some clicks. Bipolar disorder ...

Manmikey

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
The design and materials on the 950 enable a replacable battery, two types of wireless charging, changeable appearance without resorting to cheap eBay covers, better radio operation (compared to metal cased phones) it amazes and frustrates me that these advantages are always overlooked when comparing to metal flagships that are stuffed in a case or even an ugly thick external battery case and always always plugged into a wall socket just to get through the day!

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I stopped reading after the first few paragraphs. Could tell pretty quick it was a bad review. Makes me feel better I switched my friend to the verge from this trash out a site.

awesomeindeed

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't really see how this review is unfair. There are maybe a couple points I don't 100% agree with, but his job is to review the phone form a non-****** point of view. I think he did a pretty fair job. People who are dumping money into modern day smartphones have high expectations, and this phone is likely to not meet them for a lot of people, especially when all their friends have devices that *surprise* have every app under the sun.

I agree with him that it's a good starting point, but I still think that these devices will kind of push people who aren't already on the platform further from it, since they're not as polished as they should be for a final product.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
That was a hostile biased review "After forcing myself to use it for the past week..." That's worse than a fair objective review.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
There is no such thing as an "objective review". A review is necessarily a subjective, personal experience.

Take two or more phones compare them using the same set of criteria, write about your findings and then you have an objective review.
Take a phone you're "forced to use" and spew a bunch of negative crap with no facts and that's a subjective review.

If you're going to talk negative about something you should always do so using an objective point of view if you want to be taken seriously
otherwise it's nothing more than clickbait.

No such thing as an objective review...wow I guess you did just type that.

ArtificiallyYours

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
Just goes to show you how the duopoly of mobile OS's have churned out the number of hipster idiots who should have taken up scrubbing toilets instead of doing tech reviews.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I don't really see how this review is unfair. There are maybe a couple points I don't 100% agree with, but his job is to review the phone form a non-****** point of view. I think he did a pretty fair job. People who are dumping money into modern day smartphones have high expectations, and this phone is likely to not meet them for a lot of people, especially when all their friends have devices that *surprise* have every app under the sun.

I agree with him that it's a good starting point, but I still think that these devices will kind of push people who aren't already on the platform further from it, since they're not as polished as they should be for a final product.

I'm with you on this one, even though I haven't held/used a 950/950 XL there are too many things mentioned that ring a bell (for me personally) with WP in general, including W10M.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Problem with this phone is that it has this different action button for brightness. But by default auto brightness is enabled so upping the brightness still keeps the screen dim. And people are giving the screen bad reviews. But if you go in and remove auto brightness the screen becomes insanely bright.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3