Unlocked 950 & T-Mobile WiFi calling

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Are you sure because Nexus devices come unlocked (5x and 6P) and have it natively built in. I have a 6P and have T-Mobile and have visual voicemail AND T-Mobile WiFi Calling and its unlocked as stated straight from Google. I would expect they would also have WiFi calling if one of the newer Nexus had a Rogers Sim card. It's in the settings actually under Wireless and Networks and then More.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
From personal experience, and when I asked Rogers, they say the only way to active and use wifi calling is the iPhones. and maybe some older blackberrys with UMA support. but no android( nor windows). From Rogers forums, I even heard people have issue to get wifi calling working on iPhones not bought from Rogers (like buy from Fruit store instead) too.
and same thing for Rogers visual voice mail only IPhone, it used sort of support android for VVM but only thru a App from Rogers, not Natively. but the app got lots issues, and they pulled that out from google play store. so no VVM for android now either, but still avaible for iPhone thru native way.
which is typical Rogers, always treat those other than iPhones like third class citizen for them.

Last edited:

Alex Gordon

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
-NO Wi-Fi Calling
TMOBILE WI-FI CALLING,AS YOU ARE ACTUALLY WONDERING ABOUT, IS NOT A DOWNLOADABLE APPLICATION RELEASED BY TMOBILE, IT IS AN EMBEDDED APPLICATION ON THE ROM OF THE TMOBILE BRANDED DEVICES ONLY. SO YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO USE THAT FEATURE FOR TMOBILE SERIVCES PER SAY, BUT THE DEVICE DOES DO WIFI CALLING VIA SKYPE, ETC.
Apparently I Phone has it build in by apple and all carriers just support it... Just switched 4 lines from AT&T to t-mobile: 3 i-phones ( 6 & 6+) : all I did just replaced SIM and wifi and all start working seamlessly. For 950 XL to make SIM replacement make work right away only regular calls: turned out my media attachments to texting and internet on cell data stopped to work - had to do hard reset - it fixed all ( - you need to do hard reset with T-mobile sim inserted). But WI-FI calling for non branded Win Phone devices on T-mobile as for now will not work till Microsoft embed T-Mobile software into ROM - use i phone :-(

Last edited:

groovshooter

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
If you are looking at this through a T-Mobile lens, I highly recommend just getting their personal LTE cellspot. I used to have wifi calling on older Lumias with them. My wife has iPhone wifi calling. All of our wifi calling experiences were sub-par. Lot's of sound quality issues and dropped calls. The cellspot, on the other hand, provides full LTE coverage in your home using your home internet connection. I will be on TMO forever since my wife works for them. In all the years and all of our phones, this solution has been the best.

seacarl

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
You lose more than just WiFi calling by not having this feature. It also means you don't get the free TMobile sponsored internet access and texting on Gogo Wifi planes.

The exclusivity certainly must have a time limit. Can't we get TMobile and MS to cooperate and offer whatever update is needed to enable WiFi calling?

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
You lose more than just WiFi calling by not having this feature. It also means you don't get the free TMobile sponsored internet access and texting on Gogo Wifi planes.

The exclusivity certainly must have a time limit. Can't we get TMobile and MS to cooperate and offer whatever update is needed to enable WiFi calling?

I sort of doubt it.
I'm on AT&T, and they have the same deal going, but they're worse yet, they won't allow any non-branded devices (except iOS, which has a terrific lever) to make VoLTE or WiFi calls.

It's pretty tough, with things largely de-regulated, there's not much to leverage the carriers with. They're mostly motivated by other carriers taking the first step, and fear of being "left-behind", IMHO.

tsamarella

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
If I may share my story here...
I bought both 950xl and 950 when they had that deal to buy both of them together. To make the long story short, I had to return them because of this very reason: WiFi calling was simply not installed. The "tragedy" was that I had to give up my 925 to get the $150 off deal when one trades-in their phone. I had to buy another 925 used from eBay, (they could not return my original phone as it was long gone), as I found that was the only phone that was"sexy" enough for me to hold, had windows mobile (i have the latest 14915 build installed) and could do WiFi calling, which I use all the time when I travel abroad. Still, I miss the XL, as I found myself being more productive with it.

True story.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs