My 1 week with the Lumia 950

mrshamoozoo

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys. I have compiled a random list of gripes while using this phone.
As a background, I have been using windows phone since 2010. Started with the HTC HD7 and have had many windows phones since, so im no stranger to how basic the OS used to and how its evolved. This 950 is an awesome phone, but a couple random things stick out to me just from everyday normal use. I did not participate in the whole beta journey, but kept up with some stuff posted. So not sure if some of this system stuff have been broken for a while or not.
? The battery is horrible.
? The phone random resets at least once a day.
? Alarms crash when try to set alarm with song.
? Alarms app to pick ringtone to use, interface different then in the settings app when you choose ringtone, and loading screen.
? Alarms app crashes when turning on an alarm. Happens sometimes.
? Music player doesn?t cooperate well with Bluetooth devices.
? Plug in aux and play music you were just listening to, it won't work. Have to start track over. Happens sometimes with Bluetooth as well like using lg tones or my nokia 360 speaker or in my car.
? Groove player plays random songs sometimes or starts songs in random places.
? Hit a playlist pinned, it opens groove and proceeds to play whatever song I was playing before I selected playlist.
? Messaging app tile lags to update notifications
? When adding a contact to a message, once in the phonebook and confirm number to send, you cannot hold down and copy that number anymore before sending contact card.(did it on my 830) I find sometimes people cannot open file so I always attach number too with the contact card.
? Hitting a text message notification at the top reveals a resuming screen and doesn?t take me to the text
? Can't copy and paste from one note into messaging sometimes.
? Call forwarding broken.
? Lets not talk about the camera app
? Settings doesn?t open sometimes. Had to restart phone.
Overall this phone is a joy to use. For the most part its quick and to the point. The animations are cool and I still love windows phone. I just need MS to make this as fluid as 8.1 and optimize that battery and im solid. Hope this helps!

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Wow, can't say I have experienced much of that. My phone does crash once in a while, and the battery is not the greatest.

Immortal Lobster

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Only gripe I have is battery, also have not experienced any of the other problems you have listed.

Incidently, killing page prefetch (page prediction in edge) seems to help Battery life quite noticeably. Phone Battery life could still be better, but the last build it 10 on my 830 also was catering my battery, so I'm going the next build resolves it.

John Frey

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
I have had a few of those as well. Have any of you had the incoming call issue where the caller gets a ton of feedback and echo in less you hit hold and un-hold the call? or is that just my device?

mrshamoozoo

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I have had a few of those as well. Have any of you had the incoming call issue where the caller gets a ton of feedback and echo in less you hit hold and un-hold the call? or is that just my device?

I have talked on my phone ALOT over the last week, I haven't had that issue yet.

John Frey

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Great to know ill go and try to get a replacement phone when I can my incoming calls all complain they hear tons of echo and background noise when talk to me. But not on outgoing is odd.

Charles Hinkle

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
My 950 has had very good battery life on par with 8.1. To this day, I've never had it crash. Very satisfied with it. Sorry you're having so many problems. Perhaps yours is in need of a hard reset or its defective.

Immortal Lobster

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Already traded mine, and have some a hard reset, battery life is better than before, but still unsuitable for a windows phone with a battery this large.

Last edited:

Roach26

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Haven't had a problem with my 950 to this day. Never crashed, battery life is perfect, camera app works fine. Hard reset might help. Did a hard reset on mine after I picked it up from the AT&T store. Having no regrets so far upgrading from my 1020....

Immortal Lobster

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Haven't had a problem with my 950 to this day. Never crashed, battery life is perfect, camera app works fine. Hard reset might help. Did a hard reset on mine after I picked it up from the AT&T store. Having no regrets so far upgrading from my 1020....

Did you restore a backup? After the hard reset? I to did a hard reset, but restored backup, better than first phone, but Battery does not make it through day. Killing prefetch in edge has helped, but it's still an issue, just opening edge send draw from 1.7-2.1%/hr, and throttles it to 15%-ish an hour! If I don't close the tabs, it doesn't seem to return to an idle state. Frustrating. I've enabled inside and am in latest build, with all apps fully upgraded per store.

Roach26

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Did you restore a backup? After the hard reset? I to did a hard reset, but restored backup, better than first phone, but Battery does not make it through day. Killing prefetch in edge has helped, but it's still an issue, just opening edge send draw from 1.7-2.1%/hr, and throttles it to 15%-ish an hour! If I don't close the tabs, it doesn't seem to return to an idle state. Frustrating. I've enabled inside and am in latest build, with all apps fully upgraded per store.

Yes I did. Got all my app, home screen setting just like it was on my 1020. My experience with windows 10 has been good so far. Not saying the os is perfect, it still need work. Missing double tap to wake and couple more features. But no major problem here.....

Last edited:

John Frey

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Did a hard reset on my phone and at last it was working. Had two friends call me and neither one had the echo feed back issue. However I restarted the phone in order to get the 4 rows back. Shortly after doing so another buddy called and had the same issue again. Test called myself with my buddy phone and sure enough there is was. (also testing going back to the old screen size to see if the two where related but had no luck) I was so close.

Last edited:

Bjfcm

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
1.Battery life is great. --- Close Background Apps in Battery Saver Settings . Every App added. including Word , Excel Etc..is running so go shut them off ) ( put screen on Auto or anything lower than 100 %( this kills your battery and is unnecessary . I find 37 % comfortable or sometimes 70 % Brightness depending on activity

2.No crashes at all--- OS Software is Solid - MS will be sending updates soon. OS is still new but great

3.The Echo is caused by the high volume.--- Turn it down to 50 % ( I did experience it with callers and that fixed it)

Good Luck !

Immortal Lobster

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Beginning to wonder what else in edge is carrying over as setting from my restore. Your think a software but would be consistent across the same devices. Are yours att variants? Really would like my battery to last more than 10 hours with light to moderate use......

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I have had some of these issues, but not all. Concerning battery life, there IS something I did notice on another phone.

On my 920, with cellular off, I have seen various battery life spans over the last few builds. Since July, the 920 lasted 2-3 days easy. The last 2 insider builds, which are close to the 950 build, barely last overnight. So I am hoping battery life will be increased with an update or 2.

As for everything else? Different people seem to have different issues. I have had the random app crash, 1 known reboot over the last week, the battery drain, etc.

And, another issue, which is strange, if I power up the phone and plug it into the charger while the screen is blank during the MS and AT&T splash screen, it will stay blank. A battery pull was needed. I have not been able to replicate this, so my accidental timing was somehow too perfect

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The first week my impression of my 950 was negative. I had a few crashes and annoyances with the UI. I was seriously considering returning the phone and getting a Nexus 5X. However, since then things have improved considerably.

The important thing about battery life is that it took about a week and a half to get good. And now I'd say it's excellent. I don't lose more than about 3% - 5% overnight. The battery drops maybe 10%-15% in about an hour of gaming which I'd say is a marked improvement. It also seems to be a lot more consistent than my 920 where occasionally it would suffer from excessive drain. Heat no longer is a problem either.

The one big annoyance I still have is OneDrive constantly failing to upload. I had the problem on the 920, but it seems worse now.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Not so unusual for Lumia. but sounds like you got a dud for a phone. I've been there a few times with the Lumia 900 and the 920. They just don't have the quality control you expect. The good news is, when you get one that's not built on a payday or the guy that got an increase in his child support, you're in business. Its only been a week so exchange it.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I haven't picked up a 950 yet but I'll share this. I have never, ever activated a Windows Phone without doing a hard reset first. New or used, always do a factory reset. I learned this with WinMo and later, Android.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Not so unusual for Lumia. but sounds like you got a dud for a phone. I've been there a few times with the Lumia 900 and the 920. They just don't have the quality control you expect. The good news is, when you get one that's not built on a payday or the guy that got an increase in his child support, you're in business. Its only been a week so exchange it.
Jaz, there's no child support in China. No room for Baby Mamas with the 1 child law.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3