L950 reviewed by GSMArena

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Some bad info in that review.
the 950 FCC tear down shows no heatpipe. unless someone is willing to pop their device open to prove otherwise, it seems like a closed case.

they also mention Continuum requires the display dock, which is also not true, as quite a few people tried it with miracast and even a generic USB-C to HDMI adapter!

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Pretty sure they're incorrect about the port only supporting USB 2.0 speed.
missed that, it is USB 3.1

It also says:
"The second thing is that Type-C connectors are meant to go on both ends of the cable since the standard allows for functionality to go both ways - that's data transfer and even charging.

The same cable is used for connecting the phone to the dock that allows for Continuum to work. "

and we know that the continuum dock connection uses a USB-C to USB-C cable. The review is FULL of misinformation.

Celticg

Nov 26, 2015
Visit site
the 950 FCC tear down shows no heatpipe. unless someone is willing to pop their device open to prove otherwise, it seems like a closed case.

they also mention Continuum requires the display dock, which is also not true, as quite a few people tried it with miracast and even a generic USB-C to HDMI adapter!

I can say that Continuum works for the Lumia 950 to the Xbox One as well with the wireless display app on the X1 (This app is available if you're part of the dashboard preview).

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I can say that Continuum works for the Lumia 950 to the Xbox One as well with the wireless display app on the X1 (This app is available if you're part of the dashboard preview).

It works with ANY decent Miracast adapter. Also, you have to do a "quest" or survey (I forget which) to nab it via the insider dashboard on the Xbox one.... in case anyone is wondering.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, too bad it's not enough for some people. A commenter on the gsmarena swears there was a 950 teardown 2 weeks ago that proved the heatpipe is there. I could only find the 950xl tear downs.

Tell'em "Link or it didn't happen." Then link the FCC tear down that proves no heat pipe.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site

Sorry for being a noob, but what do you mean by heatpipe? Liquid cooling or some other thing that helps. I always knew 950 didn't have one.

Edit: I know now

I don't think it's needed for Snapdragon 808 anyway.

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
"I can say that Continuum works for the Lumia 950 to the Xbox One as well with the wireless display app on the X1 (This app is available if you're part of the dashboard preview)."

I was wondering about this! Awesome!

KrisYYC

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Other than the couple of errors in the review regarding the liquid cooling and continuum overall I'd say it was a good review. I've always liked gsmarena reviews because they do very thorough camera and audio quality reviews. Based on their review and comparison tools the camera on the 950 appears to be quite a beast.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
tired of doing that.... some people tend not to believe anything unless a mod, admin or reputable (to them) site publishes it....

Yeah, some people don't think the Federal Communications Commission is reputable but will believe anything The Verge says. :winktongue:

Other than the couple of errors in the review regarding the liquid cooling and continuum overall I'd say it was a good review. I've always liked gsmarena reviews because they do very thorough camera and audio quality reviews. Based on their review and comparison tools the camera on the 950 appears to be quite a beast.

It was "overall" a decent review. There were a number of accurate facts. I just wish they would have been a bit less sloppy with the reporting. It makes me wonder how many errors are in other product reviews and how much I can trust them to accurately give me the specs of the phone I'm researching.

In the last couple of years, I have learned I need to look to the manufacturers website to get the specifications and do the comparisons the hard way. It's sad, but true. There just aren't enough that will go to the trouble to get their facts straight. Not just with reporting on phones or technology, but journalism in general is getting pretty sloppy and one-sided with opinions.

We just need to be thankful that someone put up a "positive" review at least.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I thought it was a good review as well. Made a pretty good job of describing the benefits of Windows 10 Mobile without resorting to endless complaints of the app gap.

v535

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
One thing I didn't like was: Everyone was associating Living Images to Live Photos present in Apple. When Apple introduced it, everyone is awed and thinks MS copied it from Apple and really its the other way around.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss