950 commercial

soil2oil

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I see a lot of Surface commercials, a LOT.
So is Microsoft going to even make one and play it for people in the US?
or is it up to "carrier"s? type of excuse

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
They have no intention of advertising the devices. These are stop-gap phones, and not to be sold in big numbers. They are running an unfinished OS, with bugs galore. Be commercial suicide to get these in too many hands.

soil2oil

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
"Commercial suicide" a bit dramatic?

"not to be sold in big numbers"
Pretty sure all businesses WANT all launches to sell in big numbers

I'm just curious since before launch the only argument I saw was that
"you don't make commercials for products that haven't launched yet"

Now new theories as fact

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
No, I don't think it is a bit dramatic. These phones are definitely not mass market, and they are not attempting to sell them by the ton. Do all companies want to sell hundreds of units of every product? The proof is in your question, which is only necessary because there is no big push. I spoke to a guy at Carphone Warehouse this week. He states that they have 250 units for the stores. Not per store, for all stores nationwide. The masses are not screaming for a new Windows phone, the fanboys are. If MS could have sold them in droves, they would have loved it. They know that they cannot, and their marketing reflects that.

Not sure on your last sentence, not sure what you mean. This is not a new theory, it is clear from their efforts and has been noted in the tech press.

Am I surprised that there is no push? Yes. But not shocked, as any push was going to always be more of a prod.

soil2oil

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
As the masses aren't screaming for a surface phone either, just same windowsphone fans, yet many seem to think THAT will save the OS.
Is that your view as well then?
Or is OS completely done? Microsoft won't put anything into advertising of WindowsPhones again?
Or maybe just pay for a few movie/TV spots thinking anyone
A.pays that much attention
B. Buys phone after seeing part of it in a movie(Vacation-new one)
Doesnt happen,Then say "we tried"

What's carphone warehouse BTW? Never heard of or seen one

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
The OS is definitely still a work in progress. I am looking forward to the .29 release for my 950. These phones were meant to keep enthusiasts like us engaged while they continue to work on the software.

I would not be surprised to see some advertising after a couple or more point releases and we all calm down.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Carphone Warehouse is one of the last bricks and mortar chains selling phones, they have a hellish stranglehold on things and can therefore dictate the rules. 250 units is a paltry amount. The Surface phone will likely be different, and I'd hope there will be two sizes. MS are likely to push that over any other. Will to change the game? Possibly. MS may make a push with the 950/XL once they have more of the kinks ironed out. Depends on the uptake for apps in 2016. Snapchat and some banking apps could be pivotal. Rudy H has hinted at some app for Snapchat. For me, the XL is what I'm after. Possibly next week, funds permitting.

soil2oil

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Carphone Warehouse is one of the last bricks and mortar chains selling phones, they have a hellish stranglehold on things and can therefore dictate the rules. 250 units is a paltry amount. The Surface phone will likely be different, and I'd hope there will be two sizes. MS are likely to push that over any other. Will to change the game? Possibly. MS may make a push with the 950/XL once they have more of the kinks ironed out. Depends on the uptake for apps in 2016. Snapchat and some banking apps could be pivotal. Rudy H has hinted at some app for Snapchat. For me, the XL is what I'm after. Possibly next week, funds permitting.

I'd like to check a car phone warehouse out on my next trip to the city

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans