Why do I have such high data usage in Win10

sutt359

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi Guy

I seam to be having some troubles with this 950, it seams to be using ALOT of data. For instance my normal 4g usage is around 4gb per month, im already at 5gb in just a week using the 950.

I've got a feeling this could be why my battery is rather crap as its always connecting. Ive attempted many things to try and resolve this issue

First setup used the recovery from my old 925 using the win10 preview.

Hard reset then used no backup

Use the Microsoft recovery tool to reinstall with fresh setup.

Tuned off all background tasks.

When looking to see what's causing it in the data setting it looks like its the system. Its using nearly 1mb every few minuets and not shutting off the connection.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi Guy

I seam to be having some troubles with this 950, it seams to be using ALOT of data. For instance my normal 4g usage is around 4gb per month, im already at 5gb in just a week using the 950.

I've got a feeling this could be why my battery is rather crap as its always connecting. Ive attempted many things to try and resolve this issue

When looking to see what's causing it in the data setting it looks like its the system. Its using nearly 1mb every few minuets and not shutting off the connection.

Is your store set to automatically get updates? I suggest disable that and don't install and apps or updates for a few hours and then check your usage

ShannyMan

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same issue on my unlocked 950 on ATT.

I stream music all day, so I would expect that to take up the majority of my data. But I'm also noticing that System is taking up a large amount of data. In the last 6 days, System has used 1.28 GB, compared to about 800 MB streaming audio.

My store is set to "Update apps automatically when I'm on Wi-Fi" and "Only update the tile when I'm on Wi-Fi."

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same issue on my unlocked 950 on ATT.

I stream music all day, so I would expect that to take up the majority of my data. But I'm also noticing that System is taking up a large amount of data. In the last 6 days, System has used 1.28 GB, compared to about 800 MB streaming audio.

My store is set to "Update apps automatically when I'm on Wi-Fi" and "Only update the tile when I'm on Wi-Fi."

Nevertheless, disable automatic updates for apps and see what happens.

sutt359

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I've literally got everything disabled even the store. Basic setup but still system is sucking up data like it's a lady of the nigh sucking on a hosepipe with a golf ball

n7slc

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I've mentioned the same thing in other posts...The little arrow above the signal bars on my AT&T 950 rarely goes away even when I'm on WiFi all day at my office or at home. I'm currently at 1.7gb with 10-days to go in my billing cycle whereas I rarely reach 1gb normally. If the phone is constantly transferring data to and from the cell site then it's no wonder we have battery issues.

Turning off cellular data and enhanced 4g services makes no difference. EDIT: It took about 5-minutes with cellular data off before the arrow went away and it's still off.

wp_ss_20151210_0001.jpg

SteveSAPA

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi Guy

I've had my 950xl for about 5 days and my system has only used 3.25mb so there is definitely something up with your phone or some type of setting.

sutt359

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I've mentioned the same thing in other posts...The little arrow above the signal bars on my AT&T 950 rarely goes away even when I'm on WiFi all day at my office or at home. I'm currently at 1.7gb with 10-days to go in my billing cycle whereas I rarely reach 1gb normally. If the phone is constantly transferring data to and from the cell site then it's no wonder we have battery issues.

Turning off cellular data and enhanced 4g services makes no difference. EDIT: It took about 5-minutes with cellular data off before the arrow went away and it's still off.

View attachment 118689

I don't suppose you have an exchange email account added to your phone?

sutt359

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
After playing most of the day and evening hard resetting the only thing I didn't add back on was my works exchange account... This looks to have sorted the issue of it always staying connected. Even if I set it to manual sync. I've also turned off all the feedback from every hard reset so it wasn't that.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
you should be able to look at your online billing info to see what it's talking to over the cellular link, and how much data is transferred. At least, I can with my t-mobile account.

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
you should be able to look at your online billing info to see what it's talking to over the cellular link, and how much data is transferred. At least, I can with my t-mobile account.

I have AT&T. No battery issues but my data is a bit higher than it ever was on Verizon. What are they doing differently. I have updates only checked when on Wi-Fi. Most of the time I only read news when on Wi-Fi. Anyone know what to look for on AT&T under settings in the Store?

ShannyMan

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
What feedback option are you referring to?

Go to Settings and search for Feedback & Diagnostics. I changed my settings to Never/Basic.

So far, since changing those settings, I haven't noticed System taking up any additional data since going off WiFi this morning. I'll keep an eye on it throughout the day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077