Keyboard covering up text entry windows

Hoku001

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
When you type a text message, the keyboard slides up and the message box slides up above it so you can see what you're typing. That's the way its supposed to work. I just started seeing this today.

Now, my keyboard is covering the text message box so I can't see what I'm typing. I have to hit the back arrow to make the keyboard go away so I can see what I wrote before sending it. But not just text messages, seems like the keyboard is covering up ALL text boxes in everything making this phone pretty useless.

threezit

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think that if you press and hold the space bar, you can then drag the keyboard back to where its not covering your text box.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
When you type a text message, the keyboard slides up and the message box slides up above it so you can see what you're typing. That's the way its supposed to work.
Not sure what happened to your setup, but your description is exactly how mine works. In fact, I can't make my keyboard cover up the typing area, I just tried and couldn't make it happen. Have you changed anything recently, like font size?

Hoku001

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I think that if you press and hold the space bar, you can then drag the keyboard back to where its not covering your text box.

Wow, that's it! I didn't know if you press and hold the space bar you can re position the keyboard - that's why the keyboard was covering the text entry boxes. I certainly didn't do that intentionally, so it's good to know how to "fix" it. Hell, I can see that being a total show stopper - how the heck is this supposed to be a feature? What's the point of floating the keyboard over your text entry box? I mean, when would anyone need that?

Z80_Man

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

It comes from the software toolbar, that occupies some of the screen area. I guess you don't have this kind of problem with models having a separate toolbar, as the whole screen is then used to display the app.

Apart from moving the keyboard around, the cure is actually pretty simple : just retract the bar by swiping it up. The keyboard will then drop to the bottom and allow the app to display as it was originally intended.

You can experiment this very easily, as such an obvious app as the Windows Store is suffering from this stupid bug :

1) Open the Windows Store and search for anything using the top search bar

2) You'll see up to 4 answers below it, then there should be some links below them : "Search in music", "Search in games", etc., finishing with "Searching all".

3) Notice how the last choice can't be accessed ! This is because the keyboard is too tall.

4) Retract the bottom bar, and magic ! the whole list is now accessible.

So it's actually a big drawback of the onscreen bar. I've even found an otherwise very nice astronomy app that's unusable because it forces this bar open (probably to allow to get back after changing settings or entering a submenu), overlapping important buttons at the bottom of the screen and keeping them out of user's reach. VERY frustrating ! :(

Software programmers have yet to take those onscreen bars in account... It's probably too new for them. Maybe there are not enough models having this "feature" yet and they just didn't realize it existed.

They would need to either consider the actual usable screen surface is reduced and adapt the display, or not try to force the bar open...

celestinepeter

May 17, 2016
Visit site
Thank you so much. I was so irritated since i couldnt see the text box while typing was making a lot of mistakes while texting. This was a quick fix. :) thanks a lot.

Mark Moriquendi

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I am also experiencing this problem -
It seemed to start when my phone updated recently (and I wasn't aware of it)

I can type okay when rotating the screen, but I can't access new message options in the text app
As you said, that damn bottom bar is covering up the bottom of the screen, but unlike what you have mentioned above, I can't remove the bar or reset it

Any ideas?

Daimon1701

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
Hello

just had the same experience.

I've got a Lumia 635 with windows 10 version 1607 build 10.0.14393.67 updated yesterday. I've got the keyboard now covering the text while typing.

If I go to landscape mode, then I can see the text.

Tapping the spacebar doesn't help (keyboard seems locked). Any other idea except tapping the spacebar?

Thanks in advance.

BanAnanas

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
The same problem, also Nokia 635, drives me crazy since last update. I also can't see any buttons located on the bottom of screen. For instance home and other buttons on messenger, or camera button if I try to take photo via messenger. I only somewhere see upper half of button, which is impossible to press.

Jed Bland

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
IN addition since the update its no longer possible to select messages to delete or forwatrd them.

And to think I bought a phone so I could send texts. Ridiculous:devil:

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
IN addition since the update its no longer possible to select messages to delete or forwatrd them.

And to think I bought a phone so I could send texts. Ridiculous:devil:

are you on the insider fast ring? as I can still select messages to delete or forward....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro