Mobile Hotspot Not Working

FourT2

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Just got my unlocked 950, coming from an unlocked 1020. Having some issues getting hotspot working. Mobile hotspot worked fine on 1020 (T-Mobile).

On 950, I can start mobile hotspot and even connect to it from my laptop. It works for about a minute, speedtest shows that I am connecting from a T-Mobile device, and mobile hotspot on the phone shows that there is a laptop connected. But then the connection dies. When I check the phone at that point, hotspot shows that is in "off" state. Attempting to turn it on produces one of these errors:

On first attempt to turn it back on (from within the hotspot app): "Connection not shared. Mobile hotspot isn't currently available."

On subsequent attempts: "Connection not shared. There's no cellular data connection to share right now. Check your cellular settings and signal, and try again".

The pulldown settings menu shows hotspot as turned off. Toggling it does nothing.

Rebooting the phone is the only way to get the hotspot to turn on again. At that point it only works for a minute or so and then dies.

Of course, "Cellular Data" is enabled in settings. I am on a T-Mobile plan and tethering is enabled in my account and worked fine on my 1020 for about a year with that same SIM. Works fine on my Android devices too.

Is this a know issue and does anyone else have similar issues with hotspot?

FourT2

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Also I should mention that I am running 10586.29. Restored settings from backup (1020 WP 8.1). Everything else works fine but this feature.

Laurence_Leong

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm using running window 10 (not the latest build) on my Lumia 925. Whenever your screen go to sleep (off) , the mobile hotspot stop functioning* too
*stop functioning = your pc can detect it but couldn't connect to it

Desperate solution 1: Keep touching your screen for every interval to not letting the screen go off

Desperate solution 2: After the screen go off, turn off both hotspot and hotspot. Then, enable it again

It's annoying as hell whenever I need my cellular data to complete my assignment

Not sure if you're facing the same problem as mine

Laurence_Leong

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm not yet ready for another build because upgrade of the OS is like the process of hard reset the phone.

I'm playing Royal Revolt 2 here. Every time there is an upgrade in OS, I need to contact the game support to recover my account.

I Would like to check out the answer by others too. Did the latest build solve the problem?

Laurence_Leong

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Based on the respond from "window feedback" apps.....Microsoft have acknowledge the problem (can't upvote it anymore), hope the problem will be fixed soon.

Dlothenb

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
I have the exact same problem with my 950 XL on AT&T. Interestingly, everything work fine on this phone with the original version of W10 but when I upgraded to .29 it stopped. I'm hoping this is fixed in the next version of W10.

UPDATE: I was finally able to get the mobile hotspot working on my phone with build .29 by simply turning the battery saver to "off". This fix was suggested ath the Microsoft mobile support page for the 950 XL.

Last edited:

FourT2

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
I have the exact same problem with my 950 XL on AT&T. Interestingly, everything work fine on this phone with the original version of W10 but when I upgraded to .29 it stopped. I'm hoping this is fixed in the next version of W10.

Ugh... I will try .36 today to see if it makes any difference. But I have a feeling I might be doing a factory reset to get to pre .29 build.

Laurence_Leong

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Hope Microsoft Will fix it really really soon....luckily I'm about to move to other place to stay which is equipped with WiFi.

Thanks for trying out. I'll remain in the older build then.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes