The issues I've experience in a month of ownership

Callum_Smith

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Over the last month I've experienced quite a few issues. It's frustrating as I've just changed back from Android where these issues would never happen, even on a device half as powerful (Xperia Z3 compact).

I originally suffered the battery drain but with the application storage on the phone fixed this issue for me. However, the persistent issues that remain are:

* watching videos via YouTube freeze and reset my phone ALL the time. This happened a record 7 times in a half hour last night.
How is this even occurring? If a phone can't even watching a basic YouTube video when even my 3DS can I begin to question the phone.

* the whole screen goes a bright green for 20- 30 seconds. Most likely a graphic issue but nonetheless, shouldn't happen.

* the loading on a blank black screen when going back to the start menu at times. Again, how is this happening?

* some photos in my gallery will appear wrong such as the top right quarter being in the bottom left of the screen while the rest of the screen is black, again a graphical issue.

* games stagger and frame rate is horrible.

* every phone has "adding the finishing touches" for a good 20 seconds.

Anybody else had similar issues?

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Similar issues? Oh yes. YouTube videos will crash my 950, though not as frequently as your handset. This issue is particularly troubling, and totally infuriating as YouTube plays just fine on much less-powerful devices. What gives? Automatic brightness control is worthless, stuttery performance is the norm and my phone has -- literally -- taken a minute to complete the "finishing touches" on photos.

How can a device with THREE GIGS OF RAM and a six-core processor have ANY performance issues? It should NEVER lag, stutter or drop frames, yet the 950 does it all the time.

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I've noticed a blank screen at times when loading an application. Have to go backwards in menu and load again. Don't watch YouTube so not sure about that one. Finishing on pictures is always about 10 seconds or more. At times and for no good reason I freeze and sometimes reboot the phone. For the most part the good on the phone seems to outweigh the bad but it is surprising on some things that still need a fix. On the other side of the fence my Apple 6 Plus has to be rebooted on a constant basis to see my home security system as it has some kind of trouble with the IP addresses that my wife's Apple 5S doesn't ever have.

On the bright green thing I supposed I'd have a new phone by now if it went for 20 to 30 seconds and ever happened again. Never have had much battery drain.

I like the phone much more than I ever liked an Android though.. Hmmm..

MG

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I have had my 950 for a month with none of the issues you have mentioned but I have a whole list of other issues that I have experienced:
  • Quiet hours sometimes doesn't turn on automatically at the set time
  • The Messages app randomly crashes, especially when trying to send an image via the 'share' functionality in the Photos app
  • If the phone is locked, I take a photo and then try to review the photo I have just taken app sometimes exits, prompts me to unlock with my PIN and then when I do nothing happens, it just sits at the home page.
  • As of yesterday the Groove app no longer opens. Tapping the tile animates like the app is opening, I get a flash of black and then it drops back to the home page, as if the app has closed.
  • Sometimes I hit the power button and see the 'Your device has restarted, please enter a PIN' prompt, so I'm guessing it has some random restarts too while I'm not watching

I also had the issue of not being able to install new keyboards or languages when I first got the phone but that was resolved with a full reset.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I have had my 950 for a month with none of the issues you have mentioned but I have a whole list of other issues that I have experienced:
  • Quiet hours sometimes doesn't turn on automatically at the set time
  • The Messages app randomly crashes, especially when trying to send an image via the 'share' functionality in the Photos app
  • If the phone is locked, I take a photo and then try to review the photo I have just taken app sometimes exits, prompts me to unlock with my PIN and then when I do nothing happens, it just sits at the home page.
  • As of yesterday the Groove app no longer opens. Tapping the tile animates like the app is opening, I get a flash of black and then it drops back to the home page, as if the app has closed.
  • Sometimes I hit the power button and see the 'Your device has restarted, please enter a PIN' prompt, so I'm guessing it has some random restarts too while I'm not watching

I also had the issue of not being able to install new keyboards or languages when I first got the phone but that was resolved with a full reset.
Of the problems you've seen, the only ones I've see that match are the Quiet Hours not starting, and prompt to enter my PIN after taking a photo.

For the Quiet Hours, I find that if I turn off my phone at least once during the day, the Quiet Hours work as expected. I can sometimes get two days in a row of having it work with a shut down, but not more. For the photos, if I wake my phone up by pushing the camera button, I can't review photos until I've logged in. If I log in first, then take the photo, no problem reviewing it.

Br1an_g

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Youtube also restarts my phone. No idea why some videos do it and not others. Edge crashes more frequently than any other app I have ever had. Games are far from a smooth experience. Apart from that its great. 😂

dashrendar

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Knock on wood, my 950 hasn't crashed or restarted once since I bought it.

Which app are you using to watch YouTube videos? I use Tubecast.

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
I use tubecast too and no problems here.

Anyway please tell us your OS version and firmware version. Latest OS and firmware builds are incredibly better on L950. I advise you to hardreset, stop any app installation, install windowss insider and enable fastring, update to OS build .63 and latest firmware.

You should be good then. I have one/two resterts per week, which I do not consider good but acceptable. No performance issues ever (except for badly coded apps, no major apps anyway).

Br1an_g

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Its youtube via edge that causes the restarts. Also Looks like I will need to hard reset again to fix the un downloadable system update/fast battery drain issue. Most annoying issue ever.. :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos