oh lumia 950, i want to love you, i did love you but right now i want a trial separation.

robert peake

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Had a dual sim 950 from launch day, initially i wasnt too happ with it, heating up and then battery life poor. Over the updates thigns got alot better. I stupidly left the updated to be installed automatically which overnight it has installed 10586.71 two days ago, and since then things have got worse again, its heating with just the most casual of use, its palying up with syncing emails, im manually overiding it at the moment, and then the battery life, its drastically reduced. i havent done anything different my working life is like groundhog day but all of sudden battery life is down to 11% by about 9.30pm. I would hate to think if i had to use it heavy.

i'm honestly losing the will to live with it, i bought a asus tablet the other day with android, and there are certain aspects i dont miss, its certainly improved alot and its alot faster. i love windows OS and even the 950 it Was a wicked phone. but im assuming windows know what they have done and will roll out another release very soon to sort it out. help im lookng at the 6s today admittedly the 128gb model so its only slightly more but they were laughing at work because ive always kept away from the iphone and they said im cracking and will turn soon.

anyone have the faintest of whats going on with windows, i assumed the 71 fixed something else but has caused other things.... anyone having these issues, it always seem to be me, ive now switched the phone to manual updates so next time i'll wait if im already on a stable release. or can i get back to the release before the 71?

thanks

silentghost1979

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Got the same issue with the battery life it can die 20% in two hours without using it done days, the heating issue I'm used to as the lg g4 I had has the same 808 snapdragon and it's warm but never to hot to handle. Wish there was something that could be done with the battery life it seems to much of a drain but even after 3 hard resets it's still doing it so I take it its the software at fault

jbowyer1

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
and then the battery life, its drastically reduced. i havent done anything different my working life is like groundhog day but all of sudden battery life is down to 11% by about 9.30pm

Just curious, have you rebooted it (just a soft reset) since the .71 upgrade? I always reset after the upgrade out of habit, to make sure everything is "clean."

That said, I'm having the opposite experience as you... since the .71 upgrade, battery life in my AT&T 950 has been considerably better! Prior, with .63 and earlier, I was averaging 6-7% battery use per hour with my regular moderate use, so getting 14-16 hours of life, barely making it to the end of a day without charging, if it even did, which was frustrating. For the past two days and still today with .71, I'm averaging around 4.75% per hour, for about 21 hours of life, easily a full day. As of right now, it's at 59% battery after being off the charger for 8.5 hours, so 4.82% per hour. I've actually been using it more than normal today, too, doing a lot of texting and FB Messengering with a few friends throughout the day.

It's a shame that battery life is so inconsistent, from one phone to another and one person to another.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
MS say no need for reset, BUT...... For best operation, I have found that it is best.
Before you go bemoaning the phone, remember that a phone is only as good, or achieves it's potential, if the OS allows it. I guess you realise .71 is still a preview. It is said, on these boards, that an update for the 950 is due imminently. Don't give in to the iBone gang, just because a TP isn't what you expect. Why not roll back to the release OS that came with the phone. I have a 950 and 950xl. No TP on them, just the OS they came with. No issues battery wise, and we hammer them as a taxi firm!

As variations between identical devices, and different users, battery performance is subjective and can be affected by a myriad of things from temperature, to how it is charged. Personally, I'm not a fan of the fast charge. I leave mine on, just in case, although I am aware that software will cease the charge when full.

robert peake

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
thanks all, i still love it, but im slowly falling out of love with it. I did a soft reset. Will need to google a hard reset, as im assuming everything will be wiped from the phone and i have to reset it all again. Its frustrating and also encouraging that the 71 is better for some. im really not a heavy user, bit of browsing, maybe an hours at most, several whatsapp messages and a call or two, as im at work. before the phone would easily be at 40% at 7/8pm.

The build before meant i could trust the phone, ive turned off hello and cortan since the update thinking they were the issues, it hasnt helped.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
thanks all, i still love it, but im slowly falling out of love with it. I did a soft reset. Will need to google a hard reset, as im assuming everything will be wiped from the phone and i have to reset it all again. Its frustrating and also encouraging that the 71 is better for some. im really not a heavy user, bit of browsing, maybe an hours at most, several whatsapp messages and a call or two, as im at work. before the phone would easily be at 40% at 7/8pm.

The build before meant i could trust the phone, ive turned off hello and cortan since the update thinking they were the issues, it hasnt helped.

Go to settings -> type about -> reset your phone.

bjmac1

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Slightly weird thing on Lumia 950, when you restart phone. Check network/phone settings, show phone Id number not saved as left before, is show number to everyone. Any one else noticed this?.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue after .71. But after 2 days of use this has disappeared. I think that when your phone is idle MS takes advantage after the update to do any scanning it has to do or security checks, etc.. And based on your usage could take some time. It's weird really. So last night I noticed battery was running pretty well and apps weren't crashing on startup anymore. So far so good this morning too. But I shall see what happens. I'm also waiting on the latest firmware update. And then again there's a new update coming next week which seems to be a pretty big jump from .71 to .105.

robert peake

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
downloaded the app, looking at my stats, it was 100% last night i took it off the charger, overnight it had dropped to 84% by 9.30am.

However current discharging rate is 8.55% per hour, is that good, i would imagine if its idle it should be less than that.

Joel Earnest

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
As far as getting your apps back after a hard reset, it's pretty painless. Just open the Store app and go to My Library. All the apps you've ever installed are listed and you can reinstall directly from the list.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3