.71 Build on Lumia 950 Still Bad, hows your experience?

smartass1379

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't get how this build has been approved to go out to slow ring. As far as stability, .63 was hell of a lot better. On my Lumia 950 .71 has random reboots, app crashes, and huge battery drain. At times I get an alert of 40%+ per hour from my battery monitor. (that of course is while in use) at least on .63 I was getting about 6-8 hours from one charge. On .71 I'm pulling 4-6.

Anyone on a Lumia 950 having a better experience?

Lumia 950

Build .71

No firmware update

ATT Branded

Stanleywinston

May 31, 2015
Visit site
My 950 on .71 will last the day. Might drop into battery saver before I go to bed as it has today. That's with about 3 hours of calls and a bit of surfing and emails

smartass1379

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
My 950 on .71 will last the day. Might drop into battery saver before I go to bed as it has today. That's with about 3 hours of calls and a bit of surfing and emails
do you have any issues with apps crashing or random reboots? is this a carrier locked device or unlocked? With latest firmware? my phone is sitting on my desk untouched for the last hour and the battery monitor just alerted me to high discharge rate of 15%...

Blade800

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Pretty good on my L925 so far. Will wait few days tho cause these builds tend to get worse day by day.

Sent from mTalk

YKinase

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I've seen more frequent crashes of the messaging app. Battery has been about the same as the last build though I have seen spikes at 40.3%/h battery drain. Windows hello works randomly. Sometimes not at all for 36 hours then it works, then dies. Same as last build.
Clicking on a link in an email takes me to the last page I opened in Edge; the target page opens in another tab.
I did a hard reset, restored backup.
I have the first firmware update.
Lumia 950 DS, US on ATT.

robert peake

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
im having those issues, i actually psoted a thread as my phone did the update on its own. its a pile of poo all the old problems are coming back, warm phone, high battery discharge, emails are not syncing problem.

RuleOfSines

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Mine's still bad, but I think (hope) my issues are mainly centered around the firmware, and is preventing me from seeing much benefit from the OS updates.

Suedezu

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't get how this build has been approved to go out to slow ring. As far as stability, .63 was hell of a lot better. On my Lumia 950 .71 has random reboots, app crashes, and huge battery drain. At times I get an alert of 40%+ per hour from my battery monitor. (that of course is while in use) at least on .63 I was getting about 6-8 hours from one charge. On .71 I'm pulling 4-6.

Lumia 950

Build .71

No firmware update

ATT Branded

I experienced poor battery life yesterday and decided to take action.

Here is what I've done and it improved battery life:

- go to Battery saver and disable the background usage of apps you don't need to have running in the background, particularly Edge.
- set your mail account to manually synchronize every hour or so.

I use my 950 with 4G, Location and Wifi on all the time. I now have a stand-by battery drain of 1,5%.

Suedezu

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I have also noticed that every single new build seems to stabilize itself in regards to battery consumption without doing nothing in particular after a couple of charge-discharge cycles.

Suedezu

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
If you want the best possible experience with any build, always hard reset your phone after upgrading and NEVER restore from backup. You will have less chances of bugs and issues being ported to the newest build.

dashrendar

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
If you want the best possible experience with any build, always hard reset your phone after upgrading and NEVER restore from backup. You will have less chances of bugs and issues being ported to the newest build.

No, the best possible experience with any build is to turn off the phone...

*crickets*

YKinase

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Wow, a 1.5% stand by drain is great. If I unlock the phone from standby and look at Battery Pro+, it shows a drain of 4.5%/h. Average drain over the past 3 days is 5.7%/h.
I do have a Band 2 connected by Bluetooth. I've restricted background apps; the biggest consumer of battery remains WhatsApp (22%), the second is Messaging + Skype (18%). I've signed out of Skype as has been recommended. I've tried a variety of messaging apps (e.g. Kik, Telegram) and all hammer the battery. Maybe this is normal? And 95%+ of the messaging app battery drain occurs in foreground.

Next Insider update I'll do a hard reset and start from scratch rather than restoring from a backup. I assume apps/games with backed up settings will still retain those settings as long as I am signed in with my MS account, right?

Stanleywinston

May 31, 2015
Visit site
I've not been hard resetting mine after new builds. They'd never seriously expect people to have to do that. In my mind that's just placebo. There was a build where Gabe advised it but that was just one build. There will be an app causing battery drain issues. It's why most people don't have an issue

Yannie Boy

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

Lumia 950

Build .71

No firmware update

ATT Branded

How'd you get your 950 to pull the updates being on a ATT Branded variant. There's a handful of us stuck on lower versions, I'm still on .29.

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
.71 was the last straw for me after 2 months on 10 on my L635. I went back to 8.1 today. Wow, is 8.1 fast compared to w10m! Press the Cortana button and its there and ready to go when ever I need her. She can even ask for music while in the car just like all other smarephones except w10m. There are a few minor things I miss in 10 like the action center is slightly better and a few cosmetic things. I canceled my order for 950 because of w10m is missing so much. I also really missed the people hub and cortana from 8.1. The difference in speed on low end hardware is a surprise. Hope they start adding features to w10m soon to get it on par with at least 8.1. Windows 10 is such a pig, so I doubt they can fix that. One should be able to fix the speed with a new phone.

i_hiker

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
Loaded .71 last night, charged over night, and been pounding away on this ATT 950 for about 5 hours this morning, except for the 20 minutes in my car and I was on the phone via Bluetooth. Everything working very smoothly. Have 63% left on battery. Great build, so far!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills