Tips for taking good pictures with Lumia 950/XL

farhanmohd

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Folks, please share your photo settings for best results under any specified light conditions. E.g. For me inside room "auto" does not work very well for skin tones. I use manual settings with ISO 200 for better results.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
There can literally be hundreds of specific lighting conditions... the best advice I can give would be to experiment with the settings yourself given the most common lighting conditions you are in, but keep the following guidelines in mind (even if you already know some if not all of them, especially the white balance in #3):

1. Do not always rely on the eV setting - at low lighting conditions, this seems to lose efficiency. Better to adjust the ISO and shutter speed manually.

2. Low ISO values = cleaner images (but dimmer images in low light, and a bit less contrast even in bright light). High ISO values = brighter images (but with more noise and grain). Contrast seems to be best at around ISO-200 and ISO-400.

3. Do not rely on auto-white balance. In general, use "Sunlight" when you can for most accurate color; if "Sunlight" is a bit off, use "Fluorescent"... that's if you want to capture the color of the scene for what it really looks like.

4. For street photography, use Auto-ISO, pre-set focus to estimated distance of subject (usually at infinity), then shutter speed at 640 or 800, 400-500 if it is dawn or dusk.

5. Are you using the LED flash?

6. Use shutter speeds faster than 1/30s if you don't have a stable mount or a steady hand.

In general, smart phone cameras will never be as good as the good DSLRs - phone cameras can take decent photos, but they can only do so much (small lens, small sensor, short focal length). The color (including skin tones) will come "close", but it will not be as accurate as the professional cameras.

tfn

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Under setting I use focus light I use 'flash setting' This solved my outfocus and blurry photos

I have turned off living images for the same reason above blurry shots

Everything else is on auto and rich capture on

I will only turn off Rich capture if I have shooting fast moving objects or people

manual is just for my macro shots with flash off

farhanmohd

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
There can literally be hundreds of specific lighting conditions... the best advice I can give would be to experiment with the settings yourself given the most common lighting conditions you are in, but keep the following guidelines in mind (even if you already know some if not all of them, especially the white balance in #3):

1. Do not always rely on the eV setting - at low lighting conditions, this seems to lose efficiency. Better to adjust the ISO and shutter speed manually.

2. Low ISO values = cleaner images (but dimmer images in low light, and a bit less contrast even in bright light). High ISO values = brighter images (but with more noise and grain). Contrast seems to be best at around ISO-200 and ISO-400.

3. Do not rely on auto-white balance. In general, use "Sunlight" when you can for most accurate color; if "Sunlight" is a bit off, use "Fluorescent"... that's if you want to capture the color of the scene for what it really looks like.

4. For street photography, use Auto-ISO, pre-set focus to estimated distance of subject (usually at infinity), then shutter speed at 640 or 800, 400-500 if it is dawn or dusk.

5. Are you using the LED flash?

6. Use shutter speeds faster than 1/30s if you don't have a stable mount or a steady hand.

In general, smart phone cameras will never be as good as the good DSLRs - phone cameras can take decent photos, but they can only do so much (small lens, small sensor, short focal length). The color (including skin tones) will come "close", but it will not be as accurate as the professional cameras.

Thanks a lot my dear friend for valuable suggestions. Yes, I do use flash. I am sometimes disappointed with over sharpening and post processing of images. I take a picture and it looks fantastic but after few seconds when the processing is over the photo becomes black and over sharpened. I miss my 1020 for excellent low light processing in auto.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3