Microsoft is degrading their flagship Lumia devices!

sikurunana

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
So the Lumia 950 apparently doesn't support double tap to wake. Does it support Glance Screen? And most importantly they have included on screen buttons instead of Dedicated Capacitive buttons. Also to mention that the build quality doesn't feel premium at all. The VAIO Phone Biz looks much more premium.

Also Lumia 930 doesn't have Glance Screen either, but 830 has it all.

Why isn't Microsoft keep up to the Nokia legacy of great devices?

According to The Verge, LG G5 is going to have glance screen similar function.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia 950 does have Glance.

Double Tap to Wake is a feature that Microsoft decided not to support in the new Lumias, expecting people to use Glance instead. This has been a popular request in the Windows Feedback app and we hope to see any update to enable this feature at some point.

On screen buttons maximise the available screen area, it's the modern option these days.

Viao's phone doesn't have USB C, and doesn't appear to support wireless charging. It's a mid-range phone in a metal body. And only available in Japan...

Vijay_Anand

May 30, 2015
Visit site
So the Lumia 950 apparently doesn't support double tap to wake. Does it support Glance Screen? And most importantly they have included on screen buttons instead of Dedicated Capacitive buttons. Also to mention that the build quality doesn't feel premium at all. The VAIO Phone Biz looks much more premium.

Also Lumia 930 doesn't have Glance Screen either, but 830 has it all.

Why isn't Microsoft keep up to the Nokia legacy of great devices?

According to The Verge, LG G5 is going to have glance screen similar function.

Adding to what Pete said, I disagree about the build quality. I think it feels premium. Then again, it's just my opinion.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I don't think you can compare the Vaio until you have it in hand. Pictures can always be manipulated. The 640 has on screen buttons, my 930 has capacitive ones. Quite happy using one or the other. When you say flagship / premium, that is quite a sweeping statement. Despite being the 'most expensive', doesn't mean premium. 930 screen does not have 'memory' per see to support glance. Hence why I bought a band when they had the sale on them

amcluesent

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I had a 930 with buttons in the bezel and now an 950 with on-screen buttons. Each has pros and cons, but on-screen shouldn't be a deal-breaker but haters gonna hate.

C A T F I S H

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
My 1520 (oh how I miss you baby) had capacitive buttons which were a pain in th eye when watching video in the dark. Also, they were triggered oh so easily. At least now, with me 950, I can swipe the onscreen buttons away.
Regarding premium feel - to each his own. Just consider some folks taste in a SO. Slap on a Mozo case and Viola, unmatched premium and my iPhone friends are like dammmnnnn.

Vijay_Anand

May 30, 2015
Visit site
My 1520 (oh how I miss you baby) had capacitive buttons which were a pain in th eye when watching video in the dark. Also, they were triggered oh so easily. At least now, with me 950, I can swipe the onscreen buttons away.
Regarding premium feel - to each his own. Just consider some folks taste in a SO. Slap on a Mozo case and Viola, unmatched premium and my iPhone friends are like dammmnnnn.

If I have any complaints, it's that I don't seem to be able to get rid of the onscreen buttons when watching videos on Tubecast...

Tiiger88

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
Sadly it doesn't feel so premium as it should, but when people realize that there is Microsoft brand name printed on the phone's front side, they are like whaaaaaatttt....? Then you only say, yes baby, it is windows 10, and you see how they low or high end android mobiles slide quietly to pockets... :p So i'm happy with it.

Glance screen is super, but yes, tap to wake - i miss this option from my Nokia N9 few years ago.

slimchap

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
I really don't get peoples opinion on what's premium and what's not premium, cos, I really like what the folks in Microsoft are doing... I like the build quality of the microsoft Lumia's better than what nokia did. Even the 435 has a sleek design than my 520.... And yeah, when people see the name microsoft on my phone, the name makes my phone feel premium. *smiles*

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Their design inputs got lost after the 640 XL. THe server that held the documents crashed. So they had to start over and forgot about double tap and capacitive buttons and good battery life.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

If you consider fake metal and cheapy leather to be premium then I guess that works.

The only thing that's premium on the 950 is on the inside, hidden. A shame.

Unauthorized

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
If you consider fake metal and cheapy leather to be premium then I guess that works.

The only thing that's premium on the 950 is on the inside, hidden. A shame.

It is no fake metal, just ultra thin. And how does the word cheapy fit the leather back? It feels good in my hands and has an integrated protective case, which makes an extra one obsolete and the whole package really thin. It does not hinder wireless functionality and (in my eyes) looks nice. One could consider it premium.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
It is no fake metal, just ultra thin. And how does the word cheapy fit the leather back? It feels good in my hands and has an integrated protective case, which makes an extra one obsolete and the whole package really thin. It does not hinder wireless functionality and (in my eyes) looks nice. One could consider it premium.

My mistake. It's metal coated plastic. Big difference there.

I'm just not a fan of leather on a phone. It looked tacky on the Galaxy Note and that came with the phone. With the 950 you have to actually pay to get that couch look.

Josh Harman

Banned
Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I really don't get peoples opinion on what's premium and what's not premium, cos, I really like what the folks in Microsoft are doing... I like the build quality of the microsoft Lumia's better than what nokia did. Even the 435 has a sleek design than my 520.... And yeah, when people see the name microsoft on my phone, the name makes my phone feel premium. *smiles*

Apparently, only metal phones are "premium".

Nevermind bendgate on the metal iPhone, scalding hot frame of the Lumia 830, the El cheapo Galaxy phones or a metal back meaning no wireless charging.

Glance works fine on the 950.

My 950 is a well built phone... and it's light. The screen, camera and all specs are high end. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I don't know how anyone could not think the brown leather back looks good. Not sure how much more premium you can get.

On-screen navigation buttons allow more screen space while allowing smaller overall phone. They can be dismissed, something I wish I could have done on so many of my other Lumias while playing games or watching movies to prevent accidental touches. It also eliminates hardware failures, something that was rampant on the Lumia 830 (I went through 4 of them because of this).

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I agree the 950/XL feels a bit neutered. Double Tap to wake missing. No volume rocker button. Fumbling for the Power button is a real chore. While it does have Glance Screen, it does not have the Glance PEEK option where the screen turns on when/if you look at the screen via eye tracking. That in itself is not Glance at all. It's just a dummy timer option then, nothing 'Glance' about it. No front flash or lighting of any kind. I swear, these phone makers just randomly throw darts at features they can remove. It makes no sense at all.

Some pluses:
- do not have to remove the battery to remove the SIM1 nor SD card (But I wish I don't have to remove the back cover at all)
- metal frame/cases is a no-no since it can over heat, cause shorts, no qi charging, electrocute you, fry the phone by accident, cannot unbend
- Hey Cortana (when she decides to work if at all)
- Iris scanner (that I don't use because it's takes too long, even at 1sec. I just leave my phone unlocked for Hey Cortana commands so I don't have to unlock my phone every time), so it's basically useless now without Glance PEEK
- native FLAC support in Groove

Unauthorized

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
While it does have Glance Screen, it does not have the Glance PEEK option where the screen turns on when/if you look at the screen via eye tracking. That in itself is not Glance at all. It's just a dummy timer option then, nothing 'Glance' about it.

Actually it has Glance Peek. It just doesn't work by eye tracking (is there a phone that does this?) but by using the proximity sensor, so that Glance turns on when you wave over the screen or take the phone out of the case. Pretty useful.

No front flash or lighting of any kind. I swear, these phone makers just randomly throw darts at features they can remove. It makes no sense at all.

I don't need that one and I guess there was not much space left on the front.

Some pluses:
- do not have to remove the battery to remove the SIM1 nor SD card (But I wish I don't have to remove the back cover at all)

I have to, do you have a different model?

- Iris scanner (that I don't use because it's takes too long, even at 1sec. I just leave my phone unlocked for Hey Cortana commands so I don't have to unlock my phone every time), so it's basically useless now without Glance PEEK

I use it all the time as it works pretty well. On the other hand I never used Cortana, no need for it so far with all its cons.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mducros