Camera great

Neill Baldwin

May 16, 2015
Visit site
So family is on a trip to Disney. Since official Disney app not available on windows like on wife's Galaxy or kids' IPhone I decided I'd use my LG G4 and just bring along my 950. After first day of taking pics everybody insisted on pictures being taken on my 950. The front facing and rear camera are much better than the G4, Galaxy, or IPhone

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
It's really superb. Seriously. For me it alone more than makes up for some shortcomings of W10M at the moment. It's a shame that their work is not appreciated by more people only because it's not on Android or iPhone or is missing a feature like panaroma stitching (which by the way you can post process better with MS's ICE on PC). The former camera Nokia guys (not part of the layoff, I believe) did a monster job. With their "computational photography" special sauce, certain type of shots like close-ups, flash and indoor mediocre light shots actually look better than hand-held shots from DSLR type cameras in similar conditions. And I'm VERY picky about these things.

Last edited:

Tiiger88

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
Camera is good for taking pictures, but it has serious problems focusing when taking videos. :/ My dog was running outside and i was filming it. Half of the video is blurry.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Camera is good for taking pictures, but it has serious problems focusing when taking videos. :/ My dog was running outside and i was filming it. Half of the video is blurry.
Even most consumer level DSLRs would have hard time tracking a running dog. In that kind of situation I would actually turn off autofocus and take advantage of deep DOF of these cameras by using fixed focus to infinity which should give you everything from 2 feet to infinity in focus. Should work for just about all video shooting scenarios except when you know you are shooting something very up close in which case I would leave AF enabled.

Tiiger88

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
Even most consumer level DSLRs would have hard time tracking a running dog. In that kind of situation I would actually turn off autofocus and take advantage of deep DOF of these cameras by using fixed focus to infinity which should give you everything from 2 feet to infinity in focus. Should work for just about all video shooting scenarios except when you know you are shooting something very up close in which case I would leave AF enabled.

Thanx for the advice, i'll try...

TheThundax

May 21, 2016
Visit site

Too bad the manual focus on my 950 isn't at infinity when I set it up to infinity... ('dialing' the ring to its end)
The ring on my 950 has to be put somewhere above halfway to get infinity focus which is a hell of a job to be precise... On such a small display it's hard to see whether the focus is ok or not... On my 1020 I just could swype the ring to its end on infinity and knew it was ok: focus on infinity was really infinity... I always used this to prevent lags caused by focussing; especially at low light-conditions... For me it's a big lack of the 950 that it doesn't perform here like it should....

Last edited:

Tiiger88

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
Ok, i had another video test. I filmed my friend while he was sitting on sofa and still the camera loses focus all the time. This was just so terrible and the video is basically unwatchable. I rarely need to capture a video, but come on, it's 2016 right now!

dacarter77

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
My biggest complaint on the 950 video is the jumpyness. It got so bad I quit using it. Maybe it's gotten better with recent releases of W10? Love the still camera!

obakir

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
camera may be great for a 'slow' user. I tend to take the same/similar shots one after another. and go to the library to delete the ones that I don't like. (isn't that the general practice of photography?) I encounter these problems every single time:

1. Try to zoom in with pinching action. It only works in the third attempt. Even when it does it's still buggy. I have no problem zooming in out in anything in an iphone/ipad.
2. Double click zooming in sometimes stop working
3. Zooming out from double clicking sometimes stop working

So when I take multiple shots then try to figure out which ones I like, there is a whole deal of frustration because of these bugs. Then there is one-drive synchronization behavior. I'm not calling it a bug, because the design is wrong. for some reason it always tries to upload to one-drive in LTE even if I disable the 'metered connection' setting. when it does it doesn't even wait a second to start synchronizing when you take a picture. There should be a buffer. Or the user should be able to sync manually. When I delete a shot immediately, it still appears in my library since it was uploaded immediately. Sometimes file becomes corrupt since I delete the original in the middle of synchronization. And these corrupt files sit in the camera roll folder. Then other apps think they are image files, and when you try to open the library say in messenger to attach an image, it takes forever to scan the folder because of these corrupt files.

But yeah, picture quality is great!

mweflen

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Personally, although I am satisfied and do think it trumps an iPhone 6s or Galaxy S7 (just barely), I miss my old 1020 on long distance shots. The 950 slathers everything with so much edge enhancement...

But it is a nice fast camera for close-up family snaps.

obakir

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Indoor shots at an event (dark background, spotlights on the stage) are the worst I have seen so far in comparison to lumia 928 and 930 may be even N9. Compared pictures with some LG phone at such an event, results were much better. I wait for the focus and clean the lens. 928 indoor shots were significantly better.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett